What size motor for 12 ft V-hull Aluminum boat?

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander
I have a 12 ft Simple Aluminum slight V-Hull boat, and want to use this boat to run up river, this river can get quite a current when water is running. So what size engine would have enough power to get up a fast current? I was looking for a 9.9 hp, but I wonder if a 6 would be able to do the job?

the boat is very light, maybe 200 lbs. And the beam is about 3-4 ft wide. closer to 4 ft wide.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant
Re: What size motor for 12 ft V-hull Aluminum boat?

Not knowing the size of the river and what the current is, I can't say for sure, but most 12' boats do fine with a 6-or-so.

But if your boat is rated for it, I would go with the 9.9. A small aluminum will really scoot with a 9.9, and save you a lot of fishing time:)

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

This is the Susquehanna river, at the Head of the Chesapeake bay. It is about a mile wide, But there is a dam upriver, and when they release water, it may be a 5 MPH current, maybe more.

I had a 2 50 lb thrust trolling motor's on there, and had both going and was just staying still in the current.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

9.9, definitely.

For trolling motors you can guess at about 1hp for every 25- 35 "pounds of thrust."

It's actually not that simple, and I think there is a thread somewhere about the math, but that is good enough for easy figuring.

So a 6hp will just barely creep you over the speed of the current. It may not plane your boat well, either, but I have no reason to say that other than a guess. You will likely plane out about 10 to 15-ish mph with the 9.9, nice for getting somewhere and enough to insure a margin of safety.

That is my opinion. Mileage may vary...

CATransplant

Admiral

Almost all v-hull 12' boats are rated for 10 hp, so I'd get the 9.9. It'll plane you out, and that's the key to going upriver. With the six, not so much. I use my 6hp on the Mississippi, though, up here in Minnesota. I avoid the river when there's a lot of current, since it's a drag running against it.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

I saw an ad for a 7.5 HP honda engine. selling for $250 bucks.

I think that would get the job done, But you never hear anything about honda engines, Idk if they are good or not.

coolguy147

Commander

least 9.9 i got a 10hp 2 stroke and with me and buddy about 135 and 110-115between the both fo us and some gear plug gas we plane out pretty good if he sat in the front. my boat was a flat though with a vi hull in front. would suggust leats 9.9

forget the honda its 4 stroke

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

yea, 4-strokes are way too complicated for that size of engine. And too much weight.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Go with the max you can. Best for fighting currents and some reserve power. The difference in fuel is hardly noticeable.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Had a 12' tinny with an old ('64) 9.9 on it and it did really well in my river, currents would get pretty heavy at times and I never had a problem.

With just me in th boat and the eight spread out just right it would really move out.

A 6 will do but a 9.9 would be better.

bradleeson

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I used to run a 12ft with a 6 hp, and always wished I had something like a 9.9 on it. If you find a killer deal on a 6 hp though you should be okay.

Bard1

Petty Officer 1st Class

9.9 is the way to go.

reelfishin

Captain

I have a 12' Duranautic V hull, it runs along ok with a 1978 6 hp Johnson on it but struggles in anything but the very least amount of current with two passengers. I'm close to 300lbs, and add a passenger and some tackle, and were pushing 600lbs, it moves the boat but not very fast. My 9.9 does a lot better but still isn't super fast. I actually do better with my older 9.5 hp Evinrude since its so much lighter and I don't need to carry the 75lb battery.
I have a Honda 10hp, it's an older Honda 100 4 stroke, it runs great but outweighs my Johnson 25 hp. I wouldn't even consider hanging it on my 12' boat. I believe their 7.5 hp motor is based on the same motor?

I'd go with no less than the 9.9 hp. The best thing I did to mine was to put the 15hp carb on my 9.9, that woke the motor up enough so it at least has enough power to get the boat well on plane and moving along at a nice pace.
My Duranautic is rated for 10hp max and 540lbs.

CATransplant

Admiral

Just to add a small note: The 6 hp I use is fine for me, since I'm almost always on small lakes. I use it on the river, but only when I'm by myself.

If you're going to mostly do river fishing, I'd definitely go with the 9.9 or 10 hp. You'll be glad you did.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

This would be for duck hunting in the winter on islands up in the rocky shallow part of the river.

Somewhere I would never take my glass boat.

Shizzy

Ensign

I have a 6HP in my 14'er. with all my gear and a trolling motor she isnt as fast as Id like..... 10 HP would be much better.

with just me and no trolling motor or gear she zipps around plenty fine.

sasmit8

Cadet

Hello
What is the motor rating for the boat?
I have an old 12ft sears V hull--It is only rated for a 7 1/2 HP
I have a Suzuki 6 HP on it.It is all the motor I want on it. Once in a while I use it up in maine on a river with a strong tidal flow.It seems to handle the
currant OK.

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

yea, 4-strokes are way too complicated for that size of engine. And too much weight.

I replaced a Johnson 9.9 with a Honda BF100 (10hp, 4 stroke).

Weighs 75 pounds. Heavier than the 9.9 but still light enough that it was easy to use and I much preferred it over the 2 stroke, especially for trolling.

I could plane out my 12 foot (rated for 10hp) and hit 26kmh (gps).

The old blue and white Honda's are great motors, require little added maintenance and are not that much heavier. If you are choosing between a 6hp and the Honda 7.5, I'd go with the Honda.

But I do think you need a 9.9. Take a look at the old Honda's before deciding.