What size motor for 12 ft V-hull Aluminum boat?

coolguy147

Commander
Re: What size motor for 12 ft V-hull Aluminum boat?

my 12foot is rated to 15hp. kinda of a wide boat i guess.

ur expect around 20mph with 9.9 or 10 and with a 15hp( if rated for) expect 30+ maybe.

with a ncie current i would suggest a least 10hp

but we have to know what the boat is rated for maybe some pictures?

MrGadget77

Recruit

I bolted a 1976 20hp mercury on my 12 ft aluminum boat, and I find it gives me just the right performance...the boat did give up its own name....
ITZA HANDFULL

dbear1959

Seaman Apprentice

I had just about the same boat. 12 footer, 3-4 feet wide, and not real deep. I had a 6hp Merc on it and it would not plane unless I sat in the center seat and extended the tiller. Then it was fine, but not real convenient. Go with a 9.9 it should do the job.

By the way I weigh about 200lbs if that helps explain/judge the planing & moving up to the center seat issue.

redcheese

Cadet

I have a 1960 Sears 12' aluminum (narrow 48" beam) and put a 6hp Suzuki 4-stroke on it (model DF6).

With me (175lb) and about 100lbs of gear I get 15mph wide open. Add wind or current and it just goes downhill from there.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/redcheese/4189714194/

With two people and the gear, topped out at 12mph.

If you are taking the motor on and off a lot like I do, the 9hp 4-strokes just weren't an option. The 6hp is 55lbs and the lightest 4-stroke 9hp I could find was an 82lbs. Might not seem like much, but it is. Especially if you're walking it down a slippery boat ramp!

If you trailer the boat & can leave the motor attached, by all means go for the 9hp. Otherwise, it's hard to beat a 6...especially one with an integral fuel tank. Great for short trips & flushing the motor. :D

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

This original thread was started in March 2009 ....... please do not respond to a thread this old and cause it to rise to the top of the forums.

Thanks!

Welcome to iboats!

180Fisherman

Petty Officer 1st Class

When I was kid I had a 12' flat bottom aluminum jon boat with an old Merc 20 hp on it. That thing was fun. Clocked it at 38mph. We skied behind that thing a lot. Slalom even. We were much skinnier back then.