• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone else’s topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when it’s posted at the end of someone else’s topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Fuel/Water Separator

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel/Water Separator

I would like to replace my fuel/water separator and would like to know what the best type to use is? 10 Micron, 30 Micron, etc... ???

Re: Fuel/Water Separator

E-10 fuel = 10 micron filter with drain….preferably
    Grady White 226
    200 Evinrude Ocean Pro
    Evinrude Renegade Offshore Prop

Furuno FCV 587 Sounder
    Garmin 4208 Multifunction Display
    ICOM M504A VHF
    Shakespeare Galaxy 5225-XT Antennas

Comment

I have a late model fuel injected outboard. I believe the manufacturer's recommendation is a 10 micron. If you do a search on this forum you will find more information on the preferred brands and styles. A lot of guys prefer the visible bowl type. BUT, any reputable filter has got to be better than no filter.
      Construction Photos At:
      http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=306152

Comment

are fuel water seperators intended only for larger boats?
        I have a 16 ft 70 hp outboard, and I heard i should not waste the money on it for me.
        16 ft runabout w/ 70 hp evinrude
        26 ft grampain sailboat

Comment

Thanks for your responses. I guess I will try the 10 Micron because it seems to very difficult to find fuel without the 10% ethanol. Thanks again

Comment

bowman316,
            I have an 18'6" CC with 150 Yamaha and have always used the fuel/water separator and find it to be helpful. I would guess I need to drain the water from it a couple of times a year. Apparently the best style to use is a 10 Micron filter with "bowl" on the bottom that will allow you to drain the separated water.

Comment

Bowman, I use the same filter housing with my fuel injected 90 HP Yamaha as I did when I had a 70 HP merc 2-stroke on the boat. The only difference is I switched the filter element from a 30 micron to a 10 micron with I went from carbs to fuel injection. These filters are worth it. It will keep the fuel cleaner and the engine happier. Personally, I'd have one no matter what size of engine it was.
              Construction Photos At:
              http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=306152

Comment

Originally posted by bowman316 View Post
                I have a 16 ft 70 hp outboard, and I heard i should not waste the money on it for me.
                Somebody lied to you.
                "A manual is a cheap investment"
                Fair Winds and Following Seas
                Bill
                PTC USN ret

Comment

Originally posted by bowman316 View Post
                  My mechanic changed my gas/water separator and pulled 12 ounces of water from my 40 gallon tank. It is not the size of the engine, but the turn around time on fuel use, how long the fuel sits and the stabilizers in the fuel that determines water in the tank.
                  1987 Boston Whaler "Outrageous 18"
                  1989 Johnson 120 V4 VRO

Comment

Originally posted by ebry710 View Post
                    It is not the size of the engine, but the turn around time on fuel use, how long the fuel sits and the stabilizers in the fuel that determines water in the tank.

99% of all water in tank is either introduced into the system via a vent or from the tanks of the service station.

You can leave a gallon of untreated gas open in your garage for 6 months and the only thing that will haapen is that you will have less gas than you began with.
                    Grady White 226
                    200 Evinrude Ocean Pro

Furuno FCV 587 Sounder
                    ICOM M504A VHF

Comment

Originally posted by dingbat View Post
                      99% of all water in tank is either introduced into the system via a vent or from the tanks of the service station.

You can leave a gallon of untreated gas open in your garage for 6 months and the only thing that will haapen is that you will have less gas than you began with.
                      One of the nature bi-products of the break down of a gasoline/oxygen combination is water. Where do you suppose the water in the service station comes from? It is a closed system.
                      1987 Boston Whaler "Outrageous 18"
                      1989 Johnson 120 V4 VRO

Comment

Originally posted by ebry710 View Post
                        One of the nature bi-products of the break down of a gasoline/oxygen combination is water. Where do you suppose the water in the service station comes from? It is a closed system.
                        You can not make water at the atomic level by combining oxygen and gasoline. The combination of gas and oxygen cause the fuel to oxidize which in turn and forms gum and varnish.

The water is introduced into the storage tanks via thermal cycling.
                        Gasolines ability to "absorb" water is directly proportional to it’s temperature. The greater the fuel temperature the greater the amount of moisture the fuel can hold in suspension.

Putting “warm” gas from a truck into a “colder” under ground storage tank will cause the fuel to shed the extra moisture which will settle to the bottom of the storage tank. You also have point source introduction of water into the tanks as noted below in an excerpt from a fuel supplier.

Water can enter a tank through several means. Loose fill caps, leaky fittings and faulty gaskets are all entry points for water. Water can accumulate around the fill gauge manhole or in the secondary containment submersible pump pit. A leak in the tank or the lines will allow moisture to enter the tank; this is especially true of underground storage tanks. Every time the tank is open, there is a potential for water to enter.
                        Grady White 226
                        200 Evinrude Ocean Pro

Furuno FCV 587 Sounder
                        ICOM M504A VHF

Comment

Working...
                        X