stick steering set up works great!

jbjennings

Captain
I just tried putting stick steering on my little 12 foot aluminum boat. I found that it made a nice boat out of a 12 footer due to the fact that it kept all the weight off the back. It didn't plow at all up front, even with me in it by myself (215 lbs.). The steering was very smooth and it doesn't slide in sharp curves very bad at all.
Just thought I'd see what you guys thought and give someone maybe an idea if they have a 12 footer they find annoying like me. Here's a link to about a 30 second video of it running if you're interested:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9at6Mk6fBg

Later,
JBJ​

Attachments

• boat pic.jpg
    boat pic.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 1

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: stick steering set up works great!

i've had 3 boats with stick steer, last on a 14 ft tinny, with 15 rude.

tashasdaddy

this was my last one. 1960's lonestar 1955 15 hp rude. i think is was the most fun boat i ever owned. scoot right along, jump wakes, donuts.

steeringswitches.jpg

MVC-733S.jpg

5515hp-1.jpg

MVC-905S-1.jpg

jasper60103

Commander

Nice, TD.

I don't have a center seat, but was wondering can it be added to the front seat?
I think balance of weight distribution would still be better than tiller steer or would it plow too much?

Attachments

• crestliner_top_view2.jpg
    crestliner_top_view2.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 0

jbjennings

Captain

I thought I'd add that this 12 foot boat is a monark and is actually rated for a 20 hp outboard. I was shocked to see this on the manufacturer's tag when I checked it today! There's no way this boat is safe with a tiller steer 20hp. With that 18 on the back and just me in the boat it is very unsafe in any kind of wind. However, it feels very stable with me up front. It is a pretty strongly built boat.
those were interesting pics TD. I didn't know that boat was stick steer the first time I saw it a long time ago.

Jasper,
If I put stick steering on your's I'd add a seat. Just from the pics, it looks like your front seat is a little too far forward. I like the open space in your rig,

JBJ

JB

I had a Fisher "bass boat" 15' jon. Johnny 25, with stick steer.

Nice boat for sheltered water. Lots of fun to drive.

I like it for small boats with modest power. No way would I use it with 40 or more HP or any big water boat.

jasper60103

Commander

Jasper,
If I put stick steering on your's I'd add a seat. Just from the pics, it looks like your front seat is a little too far forward. I like the open space in your rig,

Thanks, JBJ.
Someone removed the side console in the middle, but I
think the open deck will work out nice for 2 guys fishing.
I'll break her in this season.

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

WOW! I've never seen someone with that setup! That is very creative!

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

This is a sweet setup TD ... seems I have just the right seats setup in my boat for a Stick stearing. But then I would have to find the remote controls for my 1997 Force 15 hp and I dont know if it even exist ...

I'll search ... lol

tashasdaddy

i think merc controls work on the Force, but don't quote me..