• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

4 stroke vs 4 cycle oil-what's the difference

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 stroke vs 4 cycle oil-what's the difference

My Mercury 115mp EFI 4 stroke manual states I need to use 4 stroke oil. I chose synthetic Quicksilver 25W-40 but I noticed they also stocked a 25W-40 4 cycle oil. What is the difference?

Re: 4 stroke vs 4 cycle oil-what's the difference

Quicksilver call all their 4 stroke oils '4 cycle'. The other oil you saw was probably a dino blend.

99% of the boating population call a 4 stroke motor a '4 stroke' but the full descriptive term should be '4 stroke cycle'. Same thing with a 2 stroke, proper term is '2 stroke cycle'.
    Watch this space......................

Comment

Yeah. It is defined as how many times the piston changed direction (up/down) before it completion a cycle. Each change of direction is a stroke.

Two stroke only goes down once and up once to complete a cycle.

A four stroke goes down to intake gas, up to compress gas, down to fire and up to exhaust.
      1987 Boston Whaler "Outrageous 18"
      1989 Johnson 120 V4 VRO

Comment

Most 4 cycle outboards call for FC-W 4 cycle oil. This is a different oil than an auto would take. Your owners manual should point out the correct oil.

I disagree slightly with the others, I believe "4 cycle engine" is the proper term and that "4 stroke engine" is a slang term.

Comment

They are 4 and 2 cycle engines. FC-W 4 is the marine rating for 4 cycle oil.

Comment

There are no "engine terminology police". 4-stroke and 4-cycle can and have been used interchangably for ages, as have 2-stroke and 2-cycle. And not all four-strokes require FC-W oil. My Suzuki recommends conventional 10W-40 oil that meets current API specifications. If you buy Suzuki branded oil, it is marked FC-W however.

Comment

Thanks for your response. That's the answer I was expecting. But I still don't understand why Quicksilver would market both? One bottle labeled 4 stroke and the other labeled 4 cycle both intended for outboard motor use.

Comment

As was pointed out, one may be a synthetic or a synthetic blend and the other is conventional oil. Both can be used if they are branded FC-W. As for the "cycle/stroke" thing -- it is meaningless and simply infers that the dude/duddette that designed the label was not paying attention to the what the other label indicated. No big deal. Different strokes for different folks.

Comment

I went on goggle and searched vendor. From what I can see is that one is for conventional marine engines and one is for outboards.

QUICKSILVER 4-CYCLE ENGINE OIL - 946ml [32fl oz][1 qt] 108LUB802837Q

Quicksilver 4 cycle (or 4 stroke) marine engine oil keeps your engine cool when the going gets hot. Multi viscosity 25W-40 oil that you can run during the boating season. Used regularly, it will reduce engine wear and corrosion and protect against chemical attack, keep pistons clean, prevent rings from sticking and inhibit rust and sludge deposits

QUICKSILVER 4-STROKE OUTBOARD OIL - 1 LITRE [33.8fl oz] 108LUB802833Q

Formulated specially for 4 stroke outboards. Outboards typically operate at 5000-6000 RPM at wide open throttle, almost twice as fast as 4 stroke automobile engines. Normal automotive lubricants are not formulated to handle thse speeds. Quicksilver 4 stroke outboard oil contains special additives making it ideally suited for this application. They help reduce wear, scuffing and scoring, prevent the formulation of rust and sludge and inhibit the formulation of unwanted damaging foam
                  1989 Johnson 120 V4 VRO

Comment

So the Gents question (Why do they make both?) is still not answered. Since most four strokes at WOT run at 5000 - 6000 RPM, why would you market an oil that doesn't work well at those RPM -- which is what this advertising would imply!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Silvertip View Post
                      So the Gents question (Why do they make both?) is still not answered. Since most four strokes at WOT run at 5000 - 6000 RPM, why would you market an oil that doesn't work well at those RPM -- which is what this advertising would imply!!!
                      The short answer - MARKETING. If we were to have the oils analyzed, I suspect we would find that they are identical. The only difference is probably in the labelling. Why does Mobil 1 market a 5W-30 MOBIL-1 Full Synthetic AND a 5w-30 MOBILE-1 Full Synthetic SUV oil? Does an SUV need different oil than a pickup truck? Of course not. It is just marketing. Buy a good quality oil that has the correct viscosity and API rating and ignore the rest of the Marketing Hype on the label. You can put any label you want on a bottle of oil. Do you really think that Mercury, or Yamaha or any other engine manufactrurer makes their own oil? They buy oil that meets their specifications form an oil company and put their label on it. My 2 cents and probably worth exactly what you paid for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Silvertip View Post
                        OK. it is marketing. The logic for saying this engine oil is use for WOT throttle, while this oil is designed for operating at 2-3000 rpm has been used for years. Castrol Motor Oil used that to sell their oil by saying "our oil is designed to handles today's new high out put engines"....)not exactly what they said, but close).

The question becomes, and an effective question, knowing this information do you buy an oil designed for grandma's 4 stroke engine or do you buy the one designed to operation in the environment of a wake board boat where you are looking good and wearing your aviator glasses.
                        1989 Johnson 120 V4 VRO

Comment

Honda has been in the 4 stroke engines longer than most other makers and they still to this day recommend auto oil for all thier engines. Do you think Honda makes their own oil?, I dont think so, ay more than Mercury makes their own branded oil. I don't think I have ever 25-40 oil except maybe in Diesel oil, then again I have never looked for it, much less use it.

Comment

Honda has their own oil now, of course not made by them

reason why quicksilver has 2 oils, because it is mercury and they sell i/o's and outboards

outboards run a higher rpm than i/o's
                            HUMAN BUILT = HUMAN FIXED
                            CERTIFIED MARINE TECH

Comment

Working...
                            X