• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Honda vs. Evinrude

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Honda vs. Evinrude

They are both good motors. In general:

4-stroke = quieter, smoother, heavier, with possible "making oil".

eTec = lighter.

As an alternative, Tohatsu/Nissan TLDI = same performance as eTec, built-in diagnostics, better price.

Really, it comes down to your preferences/needs, and dealer location/support. A good local dealer is worth a lot.
    Paul
    Certified TLDI Technician
    Buffalo NY USA

Comment

Re: Evinrude vs. Honda

well its all personal perference look at what you want i agree with them that a 4 stroke cost more to run and are heavier it what you
      SaltWater Is A B^^^h

89 Travaler 20ft cc 1998 dt140 efi

86 Perferction BassCraft 1995 honda 15 fourstroke

Comment

You ask this question in the Honda forum (and another)- and expect an unbiased opinion?

Truth be told- they are both outstanding outboards. Like Elvin, I prefer a 2 stroke for the same reasons that others have outlined.

You will not find any damning evidence against either outboard since they are both so well engineered.

I 100% agree that service from your dealer should outline which direction you should go. When times get hard, good service from a dealer will make all the difference in the world.

Comment

This is a double post asking the same question. I will combine the two and put both in Outboard NON REPAIR area.

Comment

As for fuel consumption, you need to look at those issues very carefully. Whether an engine is a two stroke or four stroke, to make 50, 90, or 200 HP takes "X" amount of fuel -- period. At wide open throttle both of those engines will consume nearly the same amount of fuel on the same identical boat with the same identical load. If you measure fuel economy at any given Rpm, the four stroke will show better numbers. BUT -- if you look at the speedometer while doing that measurement, you will find the two stroke is almost always pushing the boat faster. Why is that? Simple -- four strokes need to be propped with a little less pitch to get out of the hole or they run higher gear ratios. (Now don't go off on the ratio business. 1:1 is a low ratio and 2.3:1 is a higher ratio.) So in this lesson, with a two stroke you can run less throttle to maintain the same speed at which point the fuel discussion becomes moot. While I have three two strokes and one four stroke, only time will tell how many of these four strokes are still around untouched 20, 30, 40, or even 60 years from now. I like a four stroke on a pontoon. For my go faster boats I prefer a two stroke. Don't forget the oil and filter changes, making oil, valve adjustments, and the terminal engine damage if a timing belt breaks or slips (on interference engines).

Comment

since you are considering 2 quality brands i think your choice should be based on dealership, quality of repair dept and price. price meaning on the boat installed and ready to go. not $1000 less for the motor and then a $1500 rigging fee. the motors may perform differantly from each other but both are going to be good. i own a honda but i wouldn't pay more for it than and etec if i was in the market for a new motor but i wouldn't pay more for an etec knowing how good the honda has been. you are in a unigue position in that you are looking to buy a motor and are not being pushed into one brand or another because that is what the boat manufacturer has packaged on their boat. and that you can afford to be looking at premium motors not having to make your choice solely on what is the cheapest you can buy. in today's recreational ecconomy you are a dealers dream customer so you should be able to get a lot for your buck.

Comment

I have a 20 foot traveler cc and it has a 150 johnson vro
                it pushes it at 30-40knots at half throttle and its a good size boat

you need to look at the dealer ships and service centers in your area and see you has had the best customer service because either way you go something is bound to break so you need to do some good reasearch i like my 2 stroke because it pushes it quick and really its not that loud but is still pretty load

one of the major quilitys of a 4 stroke is that they are quiter and no miking of oil

its your own personal preferance so choose wisely
                SaltWater Is A B^^^h

Comment

Buy American.

On the Etec cylinders, not sure if this is the same but i used to run small racing engine, single cylinder. They required no break-in, would hit 22K rpm on the initial run, 26K+ after 30 minutes.
                  The trick was ABC technology, hi-silicon Alum pistons running in hard Chromed Brass sleeves.

If the cylinder starts to overheat from friction the sleeve expands more than the piston, lowering compression and keeping rpm below seize state.

I'm surprised this technology never made it to outboards long before.

anyways....
                  I would like to see how many honda 4 bangers are still around 20 yrs from now. I know the American outboard is time tested.
                  sigpic
                  See FAQ Files.
                  http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=299680

Get the genuine factory service manual.
                  www.outboardbooks.com
                  www.*****************

Comment

I agree with "Buy American".
                    Except that Evinrude is Canadian....
                    Please no PMs. My mailbox is full anyway......

Comment

one observation about etecs. i was in texas over the holidays doing some flats fishing. i stopped by 3 boat deales while i was there killing some time. i would say 90% of the new flats and most of the bay boats were powered with etecs. flats fishing is run and gun fishing. you are running either WOT or nothing. so etecs must be good WOT performers or they wouldn't be the motor of choice. and at the price of the boats i don't think a few dollars one way or the other has anything to do with motor choice. or maybe they are easier to maintain in salt water?

Comment

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the advice. It feels like such a big investment that I want to do it right the first time. I'm going to go visit several dealerships this weekend and try to get a feeling for each. Thanks again.

Comment

I like the Etecs better less service Change the plugs,water seperator, and impeller every three years or 300 hours and keep gas/fuel mixed. ETECS are almost as quiet as a 4 banger and I really like bombardier.

Me,my grandpa, and my stepdad have three boats in total one has a brandnew 08 4-stroke 60 horse merc bigfoot which I do like quiet and pushes our 24 foot bently to around 18 mph at WOT. The other two one is a 84 evinrude 115 runs great pushes the 17'6" cheetah plenty fast for me the last a 73 25hp johnson runs great.

I would go for the ETEC if it were my choice, Honda's are good motors tho.

Comment

If it's two stroke vs. 4 stroke and the question is power then the two stroke should always win since the two stroke produces power on every other revolution where the 4 stroke only produces power on every 4th revolution. That explains why you might go faster at any given RPM with a two stroke.

In the recent past the 4 strokes were much heavier than any two strokes but recently that seems to have changed. There isn't a huge difference now that Manufacturers are building two strokes that meet minimal EPA standards.

Politics aside, we are currently faced with the possibility that many outboard motors will not be able to meet new state controlled emmission standards. The motors that will most likely be able to meet the standards will be those that are more recent engineering marvels like the Etec two stroke and new 4 strokes.

As for which motor lasts longer, that's a toss up because the variables are too highly dependent upon conciencous owners. I would tend to think that a resonably maintained 4 stroke would outlast a two stroke simply because they lubricate themselves so well. A two stroke relies on fuel to carry it's lubricant to crucial points where a 4 stroke has an independent oil pump or pickup that ensures that lubrication is always available, (provided you put oil in it).

Longevity is not always a consumer related problem as most of us are aware. There are lemons in the apple box. Honda's were known to have small water inlets that clogged easily and cause cracked blocks when they overheated, (I still can't figure out why the operators didn't know the motor was overheating). This was not a big problem for Honda because the only ones affected were those that ran in algae infested lakes or drug them through the mud.

In summary, If it's a question over a Honda or an Etec, I'd be happy with either but a new Etec would really make me smile. If it's four stroke vs. two stroke, I think I'd have to go with 4 stroke if I was buying new. Only because of the very real possibility of totally insane new emmission standards. I think the 4 strokes will live and the two strokes will get burried unless they are ready to ramp up to Etec standards, (which will probably have to improve also).

That's my two cents.. don't mean squat but it felt good..

Comment

[QUOTE=sschefer;1955933]If it's two stroke vs. 4 stroke and the question is power then the two stroke should always win since the two stroke produces power on every other revolution where the 4 stroke only produces power on every 4th revolution. That explains why you might go faster at any given RPM with a two stroke.

As for which motor lasts longer, that's a toss up because the variables are too highly dependent upon conciencous owners. I would tend to think that a resonably maintained 4 stroke would outlast a two stroke simply because they lubricate themselves so well. A two stroke relies on fuel to carry it's lubricant to crucial points where a 4 stroke has an independent oil pump or pickup that ensures that lubrication is always available, (provided you put oil in it).

I complety agree with this this is what i have been trying to explain
                              SaltWater Is A B^^^h

Comment

Twice in this thread this statement was used: -- the two stroke produces power on every other revolution where the 4 stroke only produces power on every 4th revolution. -- which is very wrong.

Two strokes produce power on EVERY revolution (which consists of two strokes -- one up and one down). A four stroke produces power on EVERY OTHER revolution (which consists of four strokes -- two up and two down). Intake (down stroke), compression (up stroke), power (down stroke) and exhaust (up stroke). Or for those of you who like a little humor -- suck, squeeze, bang and blow!

To clarify this, every cylinder on a two stroke motor fires every revolution. Every cylinder on a four stroke engine fires every second revolution.

As for top speed, if both engine have the same gearing, same prop, same boat, and both engines are capable of reving the same at WOT the speed will be the same. Two strokes typically have an advantage because as I pointed out earlier, they can twist props with a little more pitch and in some cases 4-strokes need to be geared lower to provide better hole shot.

Comment

Working...
                                X