• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

12 ft jon boat

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 ft jon boat

ok guys so i have a 12ft jon boat. I would like to know about how fast my 3hp outboard will push me? Lets say total weight is going to be a little less than 200 pounds. Will it plane? Just need a rough estimate about how fast it will go? thx
    I Run Cougar!!!!!

Re: 12 ft jon boat

seriously doubt plane. maybe 5-10 mph. 9.9 will plane it well. the 3 will get you there, just not in a hurry.
    FLORIDA GATORS
    TEBOW Country

Please, NO PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems. they will not be answered.
    That is what these forums are for. Post your questions, in the appropriate Forum.

Comment

You may want to use the search engine. It's been several threads on powering jons. The general consensus is don't exceed the rated power. I imagine a 3hp would do fine. I would love to have a light weight setup like that.
      '77 Crestliner Voyager Deluxe 16' (semi V), Spartan WondeRoll tilt trailer, '81 Johnson 25 hp, '88 Johnson 30 hp, '87 Evinrude 30 hp

Comment

Keep the weight to a minimum get or make a tiller extension so you can sit in the middle seat.Not likely to plane but you might get 8 or 9 mph.If its a 1232
        its probably rated for 3hp.

Comment

Yes it is a 1232. thx
          I Run Cougar!!!!!

Comment

No chance of it planing. The fact that it's 12 foot instead of 14 foot makes it even harder to plane because all the weight is in the back of the boat. I can barely get my 12'36" boat to plane with my '55 and '57 7.5hp evinrude motors. I weigh about 210 or 215 and nothing but a tank of gas in my boat. My 14'32" aluminum boat will plane great with my 7.5hp motors and my 70lb. 7year old son in the boat with me.
            sorry,
            JBJ
            Not a certified mechanic but I have at least 2 shade trees in my yard and my wife always says I'm certifiable. So remember that when you follow my advice

Comment

ok thx
              I Run Cougar!!!!!

Comment

I had a small jon and got a really long gas hose and put the tank all the way up front with the battery got the boat almost perfectly balanced, I had a 9.9 on it and it would really move out.

Buddy had a 3 on a 12 jon and ah ya, your not going anywhere in a hurry, it will get you where you are going though and beats rowing.

Brass tacks you have a boat and motor and it will get you where you want to go so you are in pretty good shape.
                GO IRISH!!!!

Comment

I've owned more jon boats and sub 5 hp outboards than I could could on both hands so will weigh in. IMHO, it has a chance of planing if it's a ligher weight /lower hp rated/32" bottom version AND you move your weight forward to help with trim. How close you come really depends on the specifics of the motor ( weight, HP, prop, etc). In any case, it should scoot you easily into the low teens and be all you need/want.
                  I currently run a 3.3 Mariner (tohatsu) and/or a Johnson 4 hp on my ( 88#) Lowe 1232 jon and have been very happy with it.
                  Boat, motor and me weigh in around 350 or so.
                  hth

Comment

My next door neighbor has a 12' jon boat with a 2 hp. He goes out with a buddy. If there's a head wind, he doesn't make headway. 5-10 mph is not realistic.
                    sigpic
                    Nothing is so broken that Government can't make it worse.

Comment

thx great info.
                      I Run Cougar!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mthieme View Post
                        My next door neighbor has a 12' jon boat with a 2 hp. He goes out with a buddy. If there's a head wind, he doesn't make headway. 5-10 mph is not realistic.
                        I'll never forget going under the Destin bridge against the tide while the tide was going out with my wife and 3 yo daughter with me in a 12 foot Portabote with a 3 hp Tohatsu. At some points we made almost no headway. Being underpowered on Lake Cumberland might be frustrating; being underpowered in coastal waters can be dangerous. I got a bigger motor right after that.
                        1989 Bayliner Ciera 2150, 5.8L OMC;
                        1975 Johnson 6;
                        Saturn SD365, 2009 Yamaha 15 2 stroke.

Comment

I have a 1232 with a 15 horse evenrude two stroke on it and it is perfect for it not to fast and not to slow cant imagin what a smaller motor would be like

Comment

Please re-read the forum rules and look at #12 http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=397820

This post is being put to rest in the archives since it was started in 2009.
                            This is a great link to boat specifications http://boatspecs.iboats.com/
                            Please, shop iboats first!!

Comment

Working...
                            X