Run the motor on the hose

SouthernAppal

Seaman Apprentice
I'm new and ignorant. What does the term "run the motor on the hose" mean? I gather it's a way to test run the boat motor while on dry land. How is it done?

Thanks~

martinrab

Cadet
Re: Run the motor on the hose

connect hose to water intake of engine and start engine.... Always good to have water in the hose a well..... :D

this is done so the pumps don't break as they would if you have em runnin`dry

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

There is a device sometimes called "muffs" you put on the lower unit with a hose hooked to it.I don't trust them I prefer a tub of some sort.Large motors require something like small cattle waterer.Submerge up to the mounting bracket to be sure it is as it would be in the water.On muffs you can't really do any tuning.In a tub its much closer to the real world.

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

Steelspike, can you post a photo of the tub you use? I'd like to be able to tune mine in my garage, but I'm not sure how to make a tub which will catch the output as well.

Woodnaut

Chief Petty Officer

SouthApp-, I have a set of muffs and I always run my rig before I leave the house to make sure I'm not going to have any trouble when I get to the ramp. (If it's not in good shape in the driveway, then it's not going to be in any better shape in the water!) Then I run it again on the muffs when I get it home to flush the saltwater out of it. Every single time.

pvanv

Admiral

Yes, the rubber impeller in the ob water pump must have water at all times, or it will suffer premature death. Some motors (many Tohatsu, Nissan, Mercury) can run on a Flushing Adapter -- screws into the motor, and attaches to a hose. Many others can use ear muffs, but some cannot accept the Ear Muff adapters, due to the configuration of the water intake.

Small (under 15 hp) motors can usually idle in a large trash can. You can't "pour the coal to it" though, because the water splashes out of the barrel, but it will prove out the systems as "working"

Still, you can't get a "real world" cooling system test unless you launch the boat and run in the water.

SouthernAppal

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, everyone. I'm beginning to get the idea.

Tashasdaddy, I have an 83 Evinrude 115 hp 4 stroke. Now, I can say all that, but I have little idea what it means. I'll check the manual to find locations for muffs and give it a try.

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks, everyone. I'm beginning to get the idea.

Tashasdaddy, I have an 83 Evinrude 115 hp 4 stroke.

I don't think that year 'Rude is a 4 stroke. And knowing that will play a large part in how you will mix your oil, do maintenance, etc...

The "muffs" we are speaking of are for sale at Wal Mart, altho there are better ones out there. If looking for a tub, you may have to find a feed store or Tractor Supply. Welcome, and good luck..:)

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I don't think that year 'Rude is a 4 stroke. And knowing that will play a large part in how you will mix your oil, do maintenance, etc...

The "muffs" we are speaking of are for sale at Wal Mart, altho there are better ones out there. If looking for a tub, you may have to find a feed store or Tractor Supply. Welcome, and good luck..:)

I'm sure he is confusing 4 stroke with 4 cylinder.T-rick Do you understand your motor is a 2 stroke(2cycle) and needs oil mixed with the gas?
Keep it in neutral in the tank also Don't rev it up.Sometimes a motor will
runaway when reved in neutral.I usually leave a hose running in the tank/barrel to make up for that slopped out.I use a large trash barrel for my 50 Merc.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

LOWKEY: NEVER-NEVER-NEVER tune the engine in the garage--even with the door wide open. In addition to getting stink all over the place, you still run the risk of poisoning yourself.

While CO poisoning is not an unpleasant way to die, basically you just go to sleep, long term chronic exposure has lasting effects like damage to brain cells, headaches lowered hemoglobin efficiency, fatigue, lethargy, etc. Better to take the safe route and not tempt fate.

SouthernAppal

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, everyone, for all the info and the youTube links.

The motor is an 84 Evinrude 115 hp.

SouthernAppal

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, everyone, for all the info and the youTube links.

The motor is an 84 Evinrude 115 hp.

Steelspike, I don't know strokes from cylinders, but I do know that I need to mix oil with the fuel.

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

That size motor, be sure to get good muffs. More expensive ones have the hose fitting, then branch off with tubes to each muff. Cheaper ones only screw into the muff on one side. Works ok for smaller motors but a 115 is better off feeding both sides. Remember, water on then motor on. Motor off, then water off. Do not leave the boat while you are flushing it. Muffs can and do slip off. FRED

coolguy147

Commander

muffs r really for quick start like before takeing to boat ramp u can say:D

i really wanna hear my rude out of the water. motors sound nice out of the water thought u must admit:p