• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Run the motor on the hose

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Run the motor on the hose

I'm new and ignorant. What does the term "run the motor on the hose" mean? I gather it's a way to test run the boat motor while on dry land. How is it done?

Thanks~

Re: Run the motor on the hose

connect hose to water intake of engine and start engine.... Always good to have water in the hose a well.....

this is done so the pumps don't break as they would if you have em runnin`dry
    Walk a mile in my flip flops ... and bring me back a beer.

Cya around

Comment

There is a device sometimes called "muffs" you put on the lower unit with a hose hooked to it.I don't trust them I prefer a tub of some sort.Large motors require something like small cattle waterer.Submerge up to the mounting bracket to be sure it is as it would be in the water.On muffs you can't really do any tuning.In a tub its much closer to the real world.

Comment

Steelspike, can you post a photo of the tub you use? I'd like to be able to tune mine in my garage, but I'm not sure how to make a tub which will catch the output as well.
        1990 Bayliner Capri 2050 BR - (My first runabout; Never seen her in water) ***Restore on hold***
        Restoration status: Painting hull Watch my progress
        Progress so far: Teardown - Transom - Stringers - Deck - Paint - Re-power - Interior Panels - Seating - Water Trial - Upholstery

The 10 steps of restoration denial - Which step are you?

Comment

SouthApp-, I have a set of muffs and I always run my rig before I leave the house to make sure I'm not going to have any trouble when I get to the ramp. (If it's not in good shape in the driveway, then it's not going to be in any better shape in the water!) Then I run it again on the muffs when I get it home to flush the saltwater out of it. Every single time.
          Construction Photos At:
          http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=306152

Comment

Yes, the rubber impeller in the ob water pump must have water at all times, or it will suffer premature death. Some motors (many Tohatsu, Nissan, Mercury) can run on a Flushing Adapter -- screws into the motor, and attaches to a hose. Many others can use ear muffs, but some cannot accept the Ear Muff adapters, due to the configuration of the water intake.

Small (under 15 hp) motors can usually idle in a large trash can. You can't "pour the coal to it" though, because the water splashes out of the barrel, but it will prove out the systems as "working"

Still, you can't get a "real world" cooling system test unless you launch the boat and run in the water.
            Paul
            Certified TLDI Technician
            Buffalo NY USA

Comment

SouthernAppal, it would help to know what motor you have to give you the correct info. usually it involves on of these or a barrel, tank.
              http://www.iboats.com/Marine_Store/d...3--submit.y.10
              FLORIDA GATORS
              TEBOW Country

Please, NO PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems. they will not be answered.
              That is what these forums are for. Post your questions, in the appropriate Forum.

Comment

Thanks, everyone. I'm beginning to get the idea.

Tashasdaddy, I have an 83 Evinrude 115 hp 4 stroke. Now, I can say all that, but I have little idea what it means. I'll check the manual to find locations for muffs and give it a try.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthernAppal View Post
                  Thanks, everyone. I'm beginning to get the idea.

Tashasdaddy, I have an 83 Evinrude 115 hp 4 stroke.
                  I don't think that year 'Rude is a 4 stroke. And knowing that will play a large part in how you will mix your oil, do maintenance, etc...

The "muffs" we are speaking of are for sale at Wal Mart, altho there are better ones out there. If looking for a tub, you may have to find a feed store or Tractor Supply. Welcome, and good luck..
                  Captain OUPV

Comment

Originally posted by triumphrick View Post
                    I don't think that year 'Rude is a 4 stroke. And knowing that will play a large part in how you will mix your oil, do maintenance, etc...

The "muffs" we are speaking of are for sale at Wal Mart, altho there are better ones out there. If looking for a tub, you may have to find a feed store or Tractor Supply. Welcome, and good luck..
                    I'm sure he is confusing 4 stroke with 4 cylinder.T-rick Do you understand your motor is a 2 stroke(2cycle) and needs oil mixed with the gas?
                    Keep it in neutral in the tank also Don't rev it up.Sometimes a motor will
                    runaway when reved in neutral.I usually leave a hose running in the tank/barrel to make up for that slopped out.I use a large trash barrel for my 50 Merc.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYcP-bzAxyw
                      sigpic
                      See FAQ Files.
                      http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=299680

Get the genuine factory service manual.
                      www.outboardbooks.com
                      www.*****************

Comment

LOWKEY: NEVER-NEVER-NEVER tune the engine in the garage--even with the door wide open. In addition to getting stink all over the place, you still run the risk of poisoning yourself.

While CO poisoning is not an unpleasant way to die, basically you just go to sleep, long term chronic exposure has lasting effects like damage to brain cells, headaches lowered hemoglobin efficiency, fatigue, lethargy, etc. Better to take the safe route and not tempt fate.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1nFuCF9IuA
                          Randy

Comment

Thanks, everyone, for all the info and the youTube links.

The motor is an 84 Evinrude 115 hp.

Comment

Thanks, everyone, for all the info and the youTube links.

The motor is an 84 Evinrude 115 hp.

Steelspike, I don't know strokes from cylinders, but I do know that I need to mix oil with the fuel.

Comment

Working...
                              X