• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone else’s topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when it’s posted at the end of someone else’s topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Honda 40HP EFI vs. Evinrude 40HP ETec

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honda 40HP EFI vs. Evinrude 40HP ETec

I have to make a decision on what motor to buy. I only have two choices: Evinrude 40HP ETec or Honda BF 40HP EFI. I have a 15 foot Klamath ADW windshield series boat.
    What motor is best for this boat?
    What would you choose?

Thank you, Rich
    Last edited by mydogmax; November 15th, 2008, 01:06 AM. Reason: edit data

Re: Honda 40HP EFI vs. Evinrude 40HP ETec

The Honda will be smoother because its a 4 cylinder whereas the Evinrude is a twin. Performance should be about equal although the Evinrude probably has a much lower preventive maintenance costs since there is no oil or filter changes, no valve adjustment, no belts, etc. I have always preferred two stroke motors on my planing hulls but I tend to favor a four stroke on a pontoon as they spend so much time at slower speeds. Two strokes just seem to be a better fit on a planing hull. I have a Suzuki 4S on my pontoon and although it has only 23 hours on it, it has been flawless.

Comment

Silvertip, I really appreciate your response. This is a tough decision. If you view Evinrude's website and competition trials (ie. tug-of-war and pulling the other boat under water) you would be pulled toward buying the ETec. The flip side is that Honda has such a good warranty and good reputation.

To-Silvertip - you seem to be leaning toward the Honda as my choice. My 15.2 ft Aluminum will be exploring many hide-away places such as lake powell and the colorado river (camping trips and fishing trips). I need a motor which will cruise at low speeds through slot canyons yet still give me the best speed to get 20 to 40 miles to destination.
      Anybody out there have other thoughts?

Comment

E-Tec.

Comment

Why?

Comment

comes down to certified techs in your area
            both are really good motors
            HUMAN BUILT = HUMAN FIXED
            CERTIFIED MARINE TECH

Comment

When checking out any of the motors forget the competition just check out the performance reports on boats similar to yours.I think you will find the Etec 40 has a better hole shot,fewer less complicated service intervals.I believe no service required for 300 hrs or 3 years,also no breakin required.also an excellent warranty.Etec is heavier 240 to 205 But it may have more displacement.

Comment

The smaller E-tecs do tend to be a bit heavier than equivalent four strokes but one need only look at the lower units to understand why. E-tec lower units are much bigger and I would think much more durable because of it as well as being able to take a little more abuse.

Comment

Go with the Honda. In the forty plus years they’ve been marketing 4-stroke outboards in America, they’ve earned a well deserved reputation for owner satisfaction, reliability, and quality.

http://corporate.honda.com/press/article.aspx?id=4639

http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/new...df/2008021.pdf
                  Bryant 214 Limited/FI 5.7
                  Ranger 1850VS/Yamaha F150

Comment

I had the same choose when looking to repower our pontoon boat in 2006. Both dealers had excellant service shops so we went with the the ETec due to no service for 3 years and we got the 7 year warranty.

Comment

ETec really has a 7 yr warranty? How come Honda dealers keep saying they have the best at 5 years?
                      Tough decision but I feel that Evinrude ETec will be a stronger and less problematic/less maintenance motor.
                      Sounds like the majority of responses out there to my question fall toward ETec. Am I getting this right?

Comment

Here are some facts to chew on. No -- I was not leaning toward the Honda but I do agree the first thing on your list should be dealer service availability. It is very annoying to have to travel long distances to get an engine serviced should the need arise.

The Honda is actually a 3 cylinder engine not a 4 as I originally pointed out. It is also a fair bit smaller in displacement (808CC compared to 864CC on the E-tec). The Honda also has 2.08 gears whereas the Evinrude has 2.67 gears and it will turn a 13-7/8 diameter x 17 prop with ease. And it will likely smoke the Honda out of the hole because of that. The Evinrude sweet spot for fuel economy is 3500 RPM which yields 8.6 MPG on the 18 foot CC I looked at. The Evinrude also has an 81 amp alternator. As I pointed out earlier, I absolutely lean toward two stroke power on planing hulls. Honda makes a good engine and there is no disputing that. Is it better than the E-tec? Not in my view but then what is important to you may be totally different than what is important to me.

Lastly, when you begin to compare fuel economy, do not make the mistake of comparing it at specific RPM. Two strokes will almost always be pushing a boat faster at any given rpm than a four stroke so obviously, at those RPM the 4-stroke will show better economy. Compare fuel economy at the same speeds and you will find the E-tec as economical or even better in some cases than the four stroke. And by all means make your comparison on the same boat. Different hulls have different efficiencies so fuel economy will be different and in many cases, very different even though the boats would appear nearly the same.

Of interest is the Evinrude MFE (Multi Fuel Engine) which runs on anything from kerosene to jet fuel. 55HP and built for the military but apparently available to the general public.

Comment

Chevy vs Ford. Although the technology between the two are different, there are Honda people, ETEC people and Honda Haters. Both technologies are great and you cannot go wrong with either.

I am going four stroke for my kicker (probably not Honda because of the local Honda mechanic sucks and Nissan's are cheaper) because I hate carrying an extra oil tank and their real quiet. Now, if I got a deal on an ETEC better the a Nissan, the I'd take the ETEC. Like I said both systems are real good.
                          1987 Boston Whaler "Outrageous 18"
                          1989 Johnson 120 V4 VRO

Comment

I would lean towards the E-Tec myself, I own two smaller Honda motors and while they've been good motors, they are heavy compared to their two stroke equals and both a lacking it the hole shot and lower mid range area.
                            The main issue is parts, I have to order all of my Honda parts online since the nearest dealer is over 2 hours away and worthless when it comes to trying to order parts for an older motor, even worse for service which is how I ended up with both of these motors after a dealer failed to properly service them.

The E-Tec has a great reputation, makes excellent power, has a fantastic dealer network, and being a 2 stroke, required less maintenance.

As a comparison, forgetting about the lack of support, the Honda, being a four stroke runs on pump gas and requires on two stroke oil. It does require periodic oil changes and does have a timing belt which needs to be serviced on occasion.

I would be very interested in a military spec E-Tec 55hp MFE, if they were available, but I was told they don't sell them to the public? Or at least no local dealer wants to deal with them?
                            Any idea how or where to get one and how much more are they than the standard version?

Comment

The Evinrude web site doesn't indicate whether or not the 55 HP MFE is available to the public but reading between the lines would indicate that it is not. It is a high output version of the 40/50 HP E-tec though as it is a two cylinder engine. I would think in about three years or so you would begin seeing these on E-bay or at Government auctions. Perhaps emergency services groups (fire departments, emergency rescue organizations, etc) may be able to buy them as well. If that's the case, someone on the inside could budget for one, then you buy it from the organization. Warranty would be an issue and lastly, the price tag is probably prohibitive for the average boater.

Comment

Working...
                              X