How often do you replace your spark plugs?

chrisg

Chief Petty Officer
Since (most) boats don't see the mileage that cars get, but are in high humidity ( rusting) environment, I was wondering if I should be replacing the plugs every year?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: How often do you replace your spark plugs?

I suggest removing them for inspection every 20 hours or so. Reading spark plugs, especially on a two stroke can tell you a lot about the condition of your engine. Lean running is what destroys most two-strokes and a quick plug check after a long wide open throttle run can tell you if that's a concern. Since you have them out for this check, you can also determine at that point if its necessary to replace them. Look at it this way, plugs are dirt cheap in the grand scheme of things. Why not replace them each year during the annual tune up and be done with it. Keep the old ones for spares in the event you flood the engine some day.

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

I do it annually. I put about 60 hours on in a year (sometimes more) and hopefully more. But I'm with Silvertip. It's so inexpensive, I flip them regardless each year.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

Like Silvertip said, I remove mine periodically to check coloration and condition. I carry a spare set of plugs along with a plug wrench in the boat with me, but have never had to resort to using them. When I check the plugs I determine if they look good enough to go back in and replace on-condition. I also carry a small squeeze tube of never-sieze and always put the plugs in with it on the threads.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I put between 200-250 hours a year on my motor. I "read" the plugs once or twice a season but only replace them when needed.

The current plugs have maybe 400-500 hours on them. They are still in pretty good condition but we'll have to how they hold-up to trolling this winter. Maybe change them in the Spring for good luck.

freddyray21

Commander

I put in a new set every year. It's cheap and I keep the old ones for a backup.

Expidia

Commander

I put in a new set every year. It's cheap and I keep the old ones for a backup.

Same here. Cheap insurance. Just did the 3 plugs, squirted some oil in each cylinder, changed the oil and lower unit gear oil. Put on a new fuel filter and poured some Stabil into the tank and ran it through the system for a few minutes.

I always use all OEM parts including even the Mercury oil. I record all with the dates and part numbers of each part in the back of the outboards manual. Save the receipts too, because you may need to prove you serviced it regularly if it breaks while under warranty. Also increases the resale value when you can prove you really took good care of the motor and it was serviced often. I personally, wouldn't think twice about paying a little more for a used motor when I see all the service was carefully recorded.

Beginning of each season all I need to do is turn the key!

I do all of the above at the end of each season while the weather in this area is still in the 50's usually right after my last trip of the season.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Since I own Chrysler and Force engines which are known to foul plugs, and since I run a tad rich to avoid lean run detonation, and since I also tend to run a wee bit fat on oil, --48 to 1 instead of 50 to 1, I pull the plugs about every three weekends (I guess 20-40 hours) or when the engine shows signs of poor idling, and clean them. Takes about 10-15 minutes total. These surface gap plugs show very little wear so I have sets 10 seasons or more old. I just keep re-cleaning them.

I always carry a spare clean set in the boat, just in case.

CATransplant

Admiral

I replace mine each winter. Heck, I have the outboard in the basement all winter, clamped to the concrete laundry sink. Can't boat, so I clean it all up, lube all the lube points, change the plugs, and dream of April (or May), when I can get back on the water.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I think it's been 3 years since any of my outboards have had the plugs changed and I must say in all my years of boating I've never had plug problems. Even after 3 years they look good and there are no performance issues and I've never noticed any difference in how the motor runs after they're changed. I raced motorcycles for almost three decades and in the early years there were a few plug issues, mostly resulting from poor jetting and/or the oil used back then. After years of reading all the hype from the "new designs" that come out every few years that are supposed to increase HP and then seeing the independent testing that shows little or no difference in performance no matter what type of plug is used, I just buy the stock plugs and forget about them for a few years.

BaileysBoat

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I check the F150 plugs when I winterize, 199 hours now and like new. The 50 and 25 2 strokes when the kids complain.

mthieme

Captain

I at least clean mine every year.
I use NGK in the O/Bs.

56 rude

Banned

I at least clean mine every year.
I use NGK in the O/Bs.
work strictly on older omc products and when i see ngk plugs i dont look at them i toss them immediatly and put in champion.

mthieme

Captain

work strictly on older omc products and when i see ngk plugs i dont look at them i toss them immediatly and put in champion.

That's funny. I do just the opposite.
But, I don't do OMC (not counting Searay).
I used to be a big believer in Champion. But when I was a mechanic back in the 70's & 80's, the Jap cars that invaded the market at that time didn't seem to like them. Now, I generally stick with what the manufacturer uses and have good success. I still use Champion in my tractors mainly because that's the only thing available. Gotta give 'em credit - they make a plug for everything that burns gas (or kerosene!).

56 rude

Banned

That's funny. I do just the opposite.
But, I don't do OMC (not counting Searay).
I used to be a big believer in Champion. But when I was a mechanic back in the 70's & 80's, the Jap cars that invaded the market at that time didn't seem to like them. Now, I generally stick with what the manufacturer uses and have good success. I still use Champion in my tractors mainly because that's the only thing available. Gotta give 'em credit - they make a plug for everything that burns gas (or kerosene!).
For what ever reason the champs work better in omc stuff not that theres anything wrong with ngk as i use them exclusivily in my sleds.

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

For what ever reason the champs work better in omc stuff not that theres anything wrong with ngk as i use them exclusivily in my sleds.
I use NGKs in my OMCs without a problem, and much prefer them over the Champions. Seems everybody and their brother says you MUST run Champs in OMCs, but no one can give a good reason as to why, and I certainly ain't found it.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

The reason for not using NGK's in OMC is that they tend to run hotter than the Champion's, and OMC designed the engines to run with the Champion plug, the way the Champion plug works.

I know places that run NGK's in OMC, but that's because they are mainly Merc places, so they put in what they have.

I don't really know if it will do anything, but I stick with the Champion;s, they are tough as hell and run great in all my OMC's.

Shizzy

Ensign

I use NGKs in my OMCs without a problem, and much prefer them over the Champions. Seems everybody and their brother says you MUST run Champs in OMCs, but no one can give a good reason as to why, and I certainly ain't found it.

I tried a set of NGK's in my '65 johnson 6 horse and it didnt run right. I switched to champions and all was good. Ill run Champions from now on

I always replace plugs annually on any small engine. its just 1 or 2 plugs, easy to replace and cheap.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

New plugs every spring. Previous ones become spares in the boat toolbox.

baconbiscut

Petty Officer 1st Class

I keep two sets. I change out each set when ever they start to fowl up. I keep a socket and ratchet in my tackle box. I'd change out the sets every year or two.

Dan