Yamaha 25 hp long shaft to short conversion.

lester

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello, I received a 2007 Yamaha 25 hp longshaft two stroke and my inflatable only takes a short shaft. There is no removal unit the midsection. Just curious if anybody has ever done this on one of these motors or knows where I can get the parts needed. Any advice?

reelfishin

Captain
Re: Yamaha 25 hp long shaft to short conversion.

I was just looking at the current 20HP at the marina the other day, I had asked about the ability to make a 15" into a 20" and was told that they are different motors with different mid sections or upper casings as they call it. Making it not really feasible to convert a motor over to a shorter or longer shaft length.
It would be far cheaper to add a jack plate and then just mount the motor at the correct height.

noelm

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Yamaha 25 hp long shaft to short conversion.

there is kits available to make a short into a long, but not the other way around, because the include a spacer and drive shaft, so as yours is already long, you need to remove something that is built in and not a seperate part (the spacer), only way is to look for a wrecked Motor the same that has a crapped out power head and swap them over, or sell and buy what you need!