Mariner Outboard for 1979 16' Alumaweld Flatbottom

Starcraftguy1

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am going to look at and probably buy a 1979 Alumaweld 16' flat bottom center console boat next weekend.It is rated for a 85 hp.The center console has the steering cable and wheel,all gauges and controls for a 1979 Mercury outboard.I don't know what horse power.I got my hands on a 1989 Mariner 60 outboard,do you think that the steering cable,and the wiring and controls will work on this outboard,or should I go and find a Mercury.I just want to get some info before I go get the Mariner.Thanks, Bruce

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Mariner Outboard for 1979 16' Alumaweld Flatbottom

steering should work, Mercury has a habit of changing their wiring harnesses, so the 1979 harness would probably not even work on a 1989 merc. just get the right control for the 1989. merc and mariner for a while, used the same controller.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mariner Outboard for 1979 16' Alumaweld Flatbottom

The wiring harness is very likely to be different. The control cables, and steering and ignition key are compatable. You will need to either butt splice a new boat wiring harness to the old boat wiring harness, or solder the new boat wiring harness to the keyswitch. You will need to butt splice the PTT wires to the new motor as well. Get a wiring diagram for both motors and create a cross connection diagram. The harnesses are compatable, but he color of the wires has changed.

Examples:

White wire is now purple, orange wire is now black/yellow, brown wire is now grey, yellow starter solenoid all red and all black wires have no change. old choke wire has new color on new motor.

Fuel line connector may change as well.