Walmart Supertech 2 Cycle Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant
It would appear that the mystery is solved. Walmart Supertech 2000 TC-W3 oil is made by Pennzoil-Quaker State's private label division called Specialty Oil Company.

Here is the MSDS sheet on Super-Tech Marine Outboard 2 Cycle Engine Oil TC-W3.

http://msds.walmartstores.com/cache/24970_1.pdf

It clearly states the Company Information of the manufacturer to be the Specialty Oil Company.

Now if one goes to the Quaker State Site and reviews its history it indicates that in 1993 they acquired the Specialty Oil Company, giving it a strong private label manufacturing ability.

http://www.quakerstate.com/about_history.aspx

So, I would say that Supertech oil is really just Pennzoil-Quaker State oil at a much cheaper price. Why pay more?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Walmart Supertech 2 Cycle Oil

yep, never had any problems with any of the Super Tech Products.

phipps

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looked up their other motor oils and it appears that all the Super-Tech oils are Pennzoil-Quaker State. I've always run Pennzoil in my vehicles. Looks like I'll be switching over to Super-Tech and save some money!!

redeye1962

Petty Officer 1st Class

finally we get to save some money on this boat thing

cdnfthree2

Chief Petty Officer

Many people swear that penzoil is garbage but it's what I use (supertech) and if Wally world sells it it's got to be good! Just Kidding om the absolutes. The SuperTech acually sits on the shelf next to the yellow penzoil at my local walmart for a dollar less per gallon.:)

cc67

Petty Officer 1st Class

$9.95 a gal where I live versus $2.99 a quart for other off brands. Always have a gallon in the back of my truck.

monk-monk

Chief Petty Officer

WOW, great info...at the right time! i was wondering about this supertech two-stroke outboard oil from Sprawl-mart...i've shopped there and basically i find it to be a "Five-and-Dime" junk store...so i've been questioning myself on how good this oil is...i guess they do sell one good product (LOL)! and i am a Pennzoil man! ACTUALLY, i thought they were selling me "Dawn Dish Detergent"! HAHA!

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

I don't think there's ever been any doubt that the off brands were actually produced and bottled by major companies. I think the only question is: is it the exact same formula?

Plus, who said that Pennzoil TCW3 is any better than brand X anyway? I never buy regular (i.e. not synthetic) pennzoil outboard oil because it's multipurpose, not dedicated for outboard use. I don't believe in multipurpose oils.

I'm not debunking what you wrote - I absolutely believe it, but I dont' think it's been a question and I'm not sure its the same oil anyway. Me, I buy Castrol TCW3 at Wallmart and/or my local Sentry Hardware because I can get it for about $11 per gallon. I have absolutely NO idea if its better, worse, the same as cheaper or more expensive oils. For some reason I like Castrol. I never buy OEM, unless it's quicksilver for cheap at Sam's Club.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

as long as it meets the TC-W3 rating, i'm using it. saving on oil, gives me another 3 ounces of gas.

arboldt

Chief Petty Officer

I've always used the Walmart Super Tech TCW3 oil.
But then over the past couple years have had many problems with our boat... it's been at the doctor's more than on the water. I doubt the issues are related, but the mechanic urged me to use the Merc Quicksolver oil instead of Walmart.

A few years ago, Consumers Reports analyzed automotive oil, and published that as long as auto oil bears the SAE seal / logo, it's all good to go so buy the least expensive. My inclination is to just use that TCW3 rating, but I'm not sure now.

My question is -- is anyone aware of similar scientific analysis regarding quality / durability of marine TCW3 oil? I tried looking at BobtheOilGuy but it was all way over my head, and it all appeared to be auto-related, not marine.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Thanks.
Al

phipps

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would think that the marine TCW-3 standard would be equivalent to the automotive SAE standards. If an oil states that they meet a specific requirement, then by law they would have to, althought it may mean "just" meets. The more expensive oils may, or may not, have additional detergents, etc added to them.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

If your "boat doctor" sells the Quicksilver product, of course he implored you to use it. The Pennzoil product is fine.

I used Walmart purchased Pennzoil for years but switched to OMC oil purchased in bulk at my local dealer. The cost is actually slightly less than the Walmart purchased product, gallon for gallon. To me, this is a win-win, because I get the best price and I support my local OMC/BRP dealer.

Dave K.

Chief Petty Officer

it's what i use! had to get a gallon earlier this year & every WM store around was sold out. so i bought the penzoil for a coupls of bucks more & could swear the motor didn't run as good. maybe just me...idunno.

d.boat

Chief Petty Officer

Here is the MSDS sheet on Merc Premium Plus 2 Cycle Engine Oil TC-W3.
http://wwwarchive.mercurymarine.com/uploads/1653/1744/091-0965.pdf

Interesting comparison. 20 ingredients vs. 5 :confused:

I know nothing about oil, except I never believe that all TCW3 oils are the same and I dont believe that store brand is same as "major" brand even if they're from the same producer.

Certainly the ingredient lists you linked show genuine differences.

I'm not saying one is better than the other, and certainly not saying that the more expensive one is better. But just saying they're not the same.

Many, many products are jobbed out by sellers to generic manufacturers. But the items shipped often are very different because of the specs required. I know bicycles: many/most bike frames are mfgr at a few factories. Although the stock material might be the same (e.g. aluminum or steel tubes), there are meaningful differences in terms of the design/proportions, weight, stiffness, etc. depending on what the seller tells the factory to do. High end bikes usually have "better" specs objectively and subjectively and the design can make one bike better for you and what you use it for even if it comes from the same factory. The factories also sell totally generic frames at various price points from el-cheapo to pretty high end that are simply relabeled and you can find brand X bikes that are essentially the same as NameBrand, for less money. Unless you know if the specification differences are meaningful you don't know if the price diff. is warranted.

Since I really don't know -does anyone? - what the mysterious additives listed actually do, I fall back on this for any machine: use the proper type of oil, and use it properly (change intervals, mix ratio, filtering, etc.). Anything else is virtually meaninless.

Does anyone here ever specify a brand of oil for their car? Very few I'd bet, and I'll bet those that do are because of some ingrained brand loyalty rather than any real criteria.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

If it's TCW-3 then it's good by me !!!!

ziemann

Chief Petty Officer

REALITY CHECK:

For your carb'd 2 stroke outboards- any TCW-3 oil is certified to do a good job of lubricating your outboard. Here's the certification manual directly from the NMMA:

http://www.nmma.org/certification/local/downloads/documents/TCW3_RatingManual.pdf

Here is the approval process:

http://www.nmma.org/certification/local/downloads/documents/TCW3_ProductApprovalSystem.pdf

Here is the actual test manual:

http://www.nmma.org/certification/local/downloads/documents/TC-W3-CertTestManual-4-08.pdf

AND FINALLY, here is the list of the oils that qualify as TCW-3:

http://www.nmma.org/certification/programs/oils/registeredoil.asp?y=TCW32008

NOW- DFI outboards I think we can all agree are another animal. They do normally have higher lubrication requirements that are inherent to their low emissions characteristics.

Where is Lubedude and The Oil Doc when you need them??? HEHEHEHEHE

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

REALITY CHECK:

For your carb'd 2 stroke outboards- any TCW-3 oil is certified to do a good job of lubricating your outboard. Here's the certification manual directly from the NMMA:

http://www.nmma.org/certification/local/downloads/documents/TCW3_RatingManual.pdf

Here is the approval process:

http://www.nmma.org/certification/local/downloads/documents/TCW3_ProductApprovalSystem.pdf

Here is the actual test manual:

http://www.nmma.org/certification/local/downloads/documents/TC-W3-CertTestManual-4-08.pdf

AND FINALLY, here is the list of the oils that qualify as TCW-3:

http://www.nmma.org/certification/programs/oils/registeredoil.asp?y=TCW32008

NOW- DFI outboards I think we can all agree are another animal. They do normally have higher lubrication requirements that are inherent to their low emissions characteristics.

Where is Lubedude and The Oil Doc when you need them??? HEHEHEHEHE

Problems I have with the TCW certification program in general:

Why no testing of larger HP motor? If it?s important to test 15hp, 40hp and 70hp why not require testing for 100hp, 150hp and 225hp as well? If the oil meets the requirements of a 15hp does that mean that it will also meet the needs of my 200hp? If so, why bother testing 40hp and 70hp motors?

Most test criteria are ?no more or no less" than the reference oil? Obviously the reference oil is the standard but what does those standards represent? Why not give quantitative figures?

Under this process the oil suppliers don?t have to compete on performance standards. They can push it under the rug by saying the oil was certified to meet a set propriety standards. Who does this certification really benefit? If certification is in the customer best interest why are the details of the test results not available to the public?

The only quantitative standards I found in those documents are these.

Does anyone other than myself think that loosing 19 psi in 100 hours of usage or 20% total area scuffing is unacceptable performance?

Why is it that some of best performing oils on the market are not TCW approved?

5.4 NMMA TC-W3? Mercury 15hp Detergency Test

Pass Fail Criteria: To be considered acceptable for certification in TC-W3?, a candidate oil must pass the following criteria:

1) Compression Loss: No cylinder compression loss of equal to or greater than 20 psi is allowed within the 100 hours of test operation, including the 100 hour compression check.

2) Reported piston scuffing, scoring or wiping may not exceed 15% circumferentially on each side of the pistons.

3) Reported piston scuffing, scoring or wiping may not exceed 20% ?total area coverage? per piston side.

4) Reported ring wiping may not exceed 5% of the circumference of the ring face of any ring.

Benny1963

Lieutenant

well guys yall got me scared to run my boat
those facts on tne last post are scary 195 at 100 hours
that means at 500 hours your motor has no compression
irun synthetic because ti smoke less and i dont run my boat on a daily basis
so the cost is not that bad but i have a 1973 50 evin
and have run pretty much everything out there but with maint and
i have put 600 hours on this motor since i had it built in 1989
and am still pushing good egual comps at 115 or so within 5%
so its hard to tell by information givin whats up
i ahve run the wally oil for the last 5 yaers on that motor
its smokyer i think but then again if its not direct injected its gonna smoke
the amoke kinda makes me feel better because i know its oiling
or maybe im just getting to much of the smoke lol m,akes me laugh and want to go fast

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Another oil thread, but with a little different twist.

I've used a great deal of Penzoil blend, OMC, Merc, less than one gallon of Castrol, just started on my first gallon of Super Tech and I have no clue as to which one is best for my motors. The OMC and Merc have some smoke but not a bad smell and very little oozing goo from the exhaust, the Penzoil has about the same smoke and not a bad smell, but it does ooze a great deal of residue out of exhaust after trolling with my small motors, since I don't troll with the big ones they don't drip. There is puddle of gunk under the kickers (any of them) after trolling with Penzoil.

The Castrol was only used for one fill up, the smoke burned my eyes every time out, so I gave the rest to a friend and will never use it again.

The Super Tech has far less smoke and smell than the others and no dripping goo.

Like I said before, I have no idea which one is best for the motor and I only picked up the S/T because I couldn't find anything else at the time.
I would like to think the S/T was a good oil because it's cheap, has little or no smoke even at start up and no dripping, but who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.