• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old threads or hijack existing threads. Old threads of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old threads should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís thread (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the thread is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old thread.

5. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís thread. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to threads that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any thread that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old thread.

7. Posting at the end of any thread is considered to be hijacking the original posters thread which in turn subjects the thread to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive thread asking you not to reply to old threads. The Red banner will read: Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Walmart Supertech 2 Cycle Oil

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walmart Supertech 2 Cycle Oil

It would appear that the mystery is solved. Walmart Supertech 2000 TC-W3 oil is made by Pennzoil-Quaker State's private label division called Specialty Oil Company.

Here is the MSDS sheet on Super-Tech Marine Outboard 2 Cycle Engine Oil TC-W3.

http://msds.walmartstores.com/cache/24970_1.pdf

It clearly states the Company Information of the manufacturer to be the Specialty Oil Company.

Now if one goes to the Quaker State Site and reviews its history it indicates that in 1993 they acquired the Specialty Oil Company, giving it a strong private label manufacturing ability.

http://www.quakerstate.com/about_history.aspx

So, I would say that Supertech oil is really just Pennzoil-Quaker State oil at a much cheaper price. Why pay more?

Re: Walmart Supertech 2 Cycle Oil

yep, never had any problems with any of the Super Tech Products.
    FLORIDA GATORS
    TEBOW Country

Please, NO PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems. they will not be answered.
    That is what these forums are for. Post your questions, in the appropriate Forum.

Comment

Looked up their other motor oils and it appears that all the Super-Tech oils are Pennzoil-Quaker State. I've always run Pennzoil in my vehicles. Looks like I'll be switching over to Super-Tech and save some money!!

Comment

finally we get to save some money on this boat thing
        1965 20' Texas Maid Electra

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=261511

sigpic

Comment

Many people swear that penzoil is garbage but it's what I use (supertech) and if Wally world sells it it's got to be good! Just Kidding om the absolutes. The SuperTech acually sits on the shelf next to the yellow penzoil at my local walmart for a dollar less per gallon.

Comment

$9.95 a gal where I live versus $2.99 a quart for other off brands. Always have a gallon in the back of my truck.

Comment

WOW, great info...at the right time! i was wondering about this supertech two-stroke outboard oil from Sprawl-mart...i've shopped there and basically i find it to be a "Five-and-Dime" junk store...so i've been questioning myself on how good this oil is...i guess they do sell one good product (LOL)! and i am a Pennzoil man! ACTUALLY, i thought they were selling me "Dawn Dish Detergent"! HAHA!

Comment

I don't think there's ever been any doubt that the off brands were actually produced and bottled by major companies. I think the only question is: is it the exact same formula?

Plus, who said that Pennzoil TCW3 is any better than brand X anyway? I never buy regular (i.e. not synthetic) pennzoil outboard oil because it's multipurpose, not dedicated for outboard use. I don't believe in multipurpose oils.

I'm not debunking what you wrote - I absolutely believe it, but I dont' think it's been a question and I'm not sure its the same oil anyway. Me, I buy Castrol TCW3 at Wallmart and/or my local Sentry Hardware because I can get it for about $11 per gallon. I have absolutely NO idea if its better, worse, the same as cheaper or more expensive oils. For some reason I like Castrol. I never buy OEM, unless it's quicksilver for cheap at Sam's Club.

Comment

as long as it meets the TC-W3 rating, i'm using it. saving on oil, gives me another 3 ounces of gas.
                  FLORIDA GATORS
                  TEBOW Country

Please, NO PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems. they will not be answered.
                  That is what these forums are for. Post your questions, in the appropriate Forum.

Comment

I've always used the Walmart Super Tech TCW3 oil.
                    But then over the past couple years have had many problems with our boat... it's been at the doctor's more than on the water. I doubt the issues are related, but the mechanic urged me to use the Merc Quicksolver oil instead of Walmart.

A few years ago, Consumers Reports analyzed automotive oil, and published that as long as auto oil bears the SAE seal / logo, it's all good to go so buy the least expensive. My inclination is to just use that TCW3 rating, but I'm not sure now.

My question is -- is anyone aware of similar scientific analysis regarding quality / durability of marine TCW3 oil? I tried looking at BobtheOilGuy but it was all way over my head, and it all appeared to be auto-related, not marine.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Thanks.
                    Al

Comment

I would think that the marine TCW-3 standard would be equivalent to the automotive SAE standards. If an oil states that they meet a specific requirement, then by law they would have to, althought it may mean "just" meets. The more expensive oils may, or may not, have additional detergents, etc added to them.

Comment

If your "boat doctor" sells the Quicksilver product, of course he implored you to use it. The Pennzoil product is fine.

I used Walmart purchased Pennzoil for years but switched to OMC oil purchased in bulk at my local dealer. The cost is actually slightly less than the Walmart purchased product, gallon for gallon. To me, this is a win-win, because I get the best price and I support my local OMC/BRP dealer.
                        Please don't PM me on advice issues - let's keep that in the forums, so that everyone can benefit. Please note that I do not email PDFs, etc. I have a bandwidth limited aircard for internet access. My avatar does not mean I have any offical link to iboats. I just like it!

Comment

it's what i use! had to get a gallon earlier this year & every WM store around was sold out. so i bought the penzoil for a coupls of bucks more & could swear the motor didn't run as good. maybe just me...idunno.

Comment

Here is the MSDS sheet on Super-Tech Marine Outboard 2 Cycle Engine Oil TC-W3.

http://msds.walmartstores.com/cache/24970_1.pdf
                            Here is the MSDS sheet on Merc Premium Plus 2 Cycle Engine Oil TC-W3.
                            http://wwwarchive.mercurymarine.com/...4/091-0965.pdf

Interesting comparison. 20 ingredients vs. 5
                            Grady White 226
                            200 Evinrude Ocean Pro
                            Evinrude Renegade Offshore Prop

Furuno FCV 587 Sounder
                            Garmin 4208 Multifunction Display
                            ICOM M504A VHF
                            Shakespeare Galaxy 5225-XT Antennas

Comment

Originally posted by dingbat View Post
                              Here is the MSDS sheet on Merc Premium Plus 2 Cycle Engine Oil TC-W3.
                              http://wwwarchive.mercurymarine.com/...4/091-0965.pdf

Interesting comparison. 20 ingredients vs. 5
                              I know nothing about oil, except I never believe that all TCW3 oils are the same and I dont believe that store brand is same as "major" brand even if they're from the same producer.

Certainly the ingredient lists you linked show genuine differences.

I'm not saying one is better than the other, and certainly not saying that the more expensive one is better. But just saying they're not the same.

Many, many products are jobbed out by sellers to generic manufacturers. But the items shipped often are very different because of the specs required. I know bicycles: many/most bike frames are mfgr at a few factories. Although the stock material might be the same (e.g. aluminum or steel tubes), there are meaningful differences in terms of the design/proportions, weight, stiffness, etc. depending on what the seller tells the factory to do. High end bikes usually have "better" specs objectively and subjectively and the design can make one bike better for you and what you use it for even if it comes from the same factory. The factories also sell totally generic frames at various price points from el-cheapo to pretty high end that are simply relabeled and you can find brand X bikes that are essentially the same as NameBrand, for less money. Unless you know if the specification differences are meaningful you don't know if the price diff. is warranted.

Since I really don't know -does anyone? - what the mysterious additives listed actually do, I fall back on this for any machine: use the proper type of oil, and use it properly (change intervals, mix ratio, filtering, etc.). Anything else is virtually meaninless.

Does anyone here ever specify a brand of oil for their car? Very few I'd bet, and I'll bet those that do are because of some ingrained brand loyalty rather than any real criteria.

Comment

Working...
                              X