• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone else’s topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when it’s posted at the end of someone else’s topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Seafoam - How Much?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seafoam - How Much?

I was wondering how much Seafoam you are using per gallon for maintenance/fuel stabilization?

The can says 16oz treats 6-12g of fuel/oil mix, avg 2oz/g. Do you mix it at 2oz/g?

Re: Seafoam - How Much?

I have a 40 HP 2 Stroke Merc. which I pre-mix my oil.

I only fill 6 Gallons a time on my bass boat.(12 or 14 Gallons fuel tank) Usually I try to add about 1/2 can every other fill up when i'm filling my boat up from 1/2 tank to full tank. (The rest goes into my jeep)

I do this so at most times there is sea-foam in the gasoline to stabilize, and every other tank it is stronger to keep the engine clean. So far no problems

Comment

Thats a good idea. Thanks.

Comment

Does Seafoam REALLY stabilize fuel, clean carbon, remove moisture from fuel and oil, clean injectors AND provide good storage fogging as it claims? Just seems a little like snake-oil esque claims to me. I could believe that it's a good carbon cleaner/preventer, but that almost seems incompatable with some of the other claims.

Comment

It has been around for 50+ years so it must be able to stand up to scrutiny.

Comment

As a believer in this product, I can say YES. I've used it for years. $5.86 at my local farm store.

Comment

Been using 1 ounce per gallon +/-, for years.

If I have 18 gallons of gas, 1 can of Seafoam goes in.
              If I have 13 gallons of gas, 1 can of Seafoam goes in.
              Medford, WI

Comment

Seafoam works great as a decarb an outboard. Too expensive to use it as a stabilizer in the boat.$$$$$
                Grady White 226
                200 Evinrude Ocean Pro
                Evinrude Renegade Offshore Prop

Furuno FCV 587 Sounder
                Garmin 4208 Multifunction Display
                ICOM M504A VHF
                Shakespeare Galaxy 5225-XT Antennas

Comment

Originally posted by dingbat View Post
                  Seafoam works great as a decarb an outboard. Too expensive to use it as a stabilizer in the boat.$$$$$
                  Good point!! What do you use for a fuel stabilizer?

Comment

seafoam will keep a clean carb clean, that is my main point of using it. it will not clean a dirty carb. it is not snake oil.
                    FLORIDA GATORS
                    TEBOW Country

Please, NO PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems. they will not be answered.
                    That is what these forums are for. Post your questions, in the appropriate Forum.

Comment

Originally posted by tashasdaddy View Post
                      seafoam will keep a clean carb clean, that is my main point of using it. it will not clean a dirty carb. it is not snake oil.
                      I hadnt thought of that. A couple cans of Seafoam a year sure beats rebuilding/cleaning the carb every spring.

tashasdaddy, how much Seafoam are you using per gallon of fuel?

Comment

i use about 1 1/2 ounces. but i also do a decarb atleast every 2 years whether it needs it or not. i prefer this method of decarbing. i use it in all my 2 cycle motors,, weedeater, blowers, etc.

Decarb, take a can of seafoam put 3/4 of it in the gas tank, with only 1 gallon of premixed gas. put the rest in a spray bottle. start the engine, and let it come up to temperature. then remove plugs, and them some real good shot of seafoam into the cylinders, replace plugs, let sit 15 minutes. restart, and spray the rest of the seafoam into the carbs, so the the motor almost stalls, wait and repeat until the seafoam is gone.then take for a wide open spin. then put in new plugs, ad premixed gas to the tank, and take it for a wide open throttle spin. it is going to smoke like a house on fire, during this process.

afterwards compression.recheck
                        FLORIDA GATORS
                        TEBOW Country

Please, NO PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems. they will not be answered.
                        That is what these forums are for. Post your questions, in the appropriate Forum.

Comment

Thanks for the decarb instructions. I have a gallon of mixed fuel, a can of seafoam and a spray bottle all ready for my next day off.

I just put new plugs in it, will I still need to replace them after decarboning?

Comment

Originally posted by phipps View Post
                            Good point!! What do you use for a fuel stabilizer?
                            During the season I typically don’t use fuel additives except in “winterize” mode. I have a 92 gallon tank and typically burn 20-25 gallons an outing. I just top off before each outing to keep fresh fuel in the mix.

In theory, we can boat year round so come December I’ll start adding Sta-bil into the mix. You never know when the next opportunity to go out will present itself so I “winterize” just in case.

Got to love winterize an outboard
                            Grady White 226
                            200 Evinrude Ocean Pro
                            Evinrude Renegade Offshore Prop

Furuno FCV 587 Sounder
                            Garmin 4208 Multifunction Display
                            ICOM M504A VHF
                            Shakespeare Galaxy 5225-XT Antennas

Comment

Originally posted by tashasdaddy View Post
                              How does it do this? (keep carbs clean) Why is it better than normal fresh gasoline and good quality oil?

Comment

Working...
                              X