'07 Merc 25 hp 4-stroke EFI - my experiences so far

Status
Not open for further replies.

BF

Lieutenant
Hi all,

I've posted this review in this forum, because I'm not looking to fix something. Before I bought this motor I searched the forums here for a review or experiences but didn't find much, so I thought it might be worthwhile to post a review of my experiences so far with this motor....

Background...

In spring of '08 I bought a new in the crate 25 hp short shaft tiller, dual start (both electric and manual start), 4 stroke EFI Mercury outboard. It was sold as "last year's stock" which was fine by me. I got the full 3 year warranty from the purchase date. The manufacturing date on the serial number lists it as being made in late '06 which fit with it being "an '07" model, even though Merc has done away with model years. I got what I still think is a really good deal on the motor... $2729 + tax which included a solas prop.

How it runs...

It runs very smooth (is a triple). Maybe I was expecting too much, but I was hoping it would be a little quieter at idle. No question it's way quieter than my old 2 stroke, but it's not exactly silent at idle. Someone sitting up front still has to raise their voice a little bit for me to hear of the motor idling at the back. I think I made a good guess on the prop pitch... it's on a 16' open utility boat, no wooden floor, no live wells. Just a couple swivel seats and rod holders, fish finder etc. A pretty basic and light boat. Anyway, after the 10 hour break in period the boat would hit 34+ mph (according to wheel speedo on fish finder, I saw 35 mph sometimes) with me alone in it, or ~32 mph with a medium load (2 adults and a couple kids). Even with a very light load, I never hit the rev-limiter, so I think the pitch is good. I went with an 11" pitch prop. The dealer didn't have any 12" pitches on hand, otherwise I would've been tempted to try that, but I'm glad to have the one I ended up with. I don't have a tach in it, so I can't tell you real rpm's. One thing that is very noticeable, is how good on fuel it is. I burn about 1/2 of what I used to burn in my old carb'ed 2 stroke 25 hp. Having said that, the difference in economy alone doesn't really justify (to me) replacing the old one. Maybe on a thirstier engine it'd figure more into the equation.

Things I don't like about it....

1) The shifting is poor. This model has the twist grip shifter, and it feels bad. Sometimes it is a battle to shift into or out of gear. I think this problem is largely due to #2 below.

2) The idle surges for a few seconds after changing gears (or sometimes just on it's own). I think it is an issue with the EFI module. When you shift into gear, the computer senses the slight drop in rpm's and then overcompensates which raises the rpm's to "fast idle". It takes 2-3 seconds for this fast idle to be corrected back down to the regular idle speed. If you try to shift out of gear while it is in fast idle, the clutch (which is under load) does not easily release and you have to muscle it into "N". I explained this to the service guy when I brought it in for warranty work (more on that below)... he made some calls and supposedly spoke to the head technical person overseeing this model in Canada. They said it was an EFI module programming issue, but that there is no fix for it at this time. Perhaps in the future they will issue a flash upgrade to the EFI computer to address it they said. Anyway, this problem makes it a real PITA to bump the motor in and out of gear, say either when docking or working the boat around a snagged line.

3) I'm not convinced yet about long-term reliability. I've had 2 issues with my motor. First, during break-in, the bolts holding the tiller-friction adjustment plate came loose and fell in the lake. No biggie... they ordered new ones and replaced them. I had to take the motor in for a recall notice that I got in the mail. It was to check the torque of the motor mounts. So, they replaced the bolts that were lost and did the recall (they said they did not find any incorrectly torqued bolts on mine). Secondly, and more seriously, 2 weekends ago the motor died suddenly at WOT. Would restart, but then stalled immediately. I needed to be towed back to the launch and took the motor in last week. Once on the trailer, I found that with engine in neutral, there was resistance to turning the prop by hand. The resistance changed as you turned the prop. I thought the lower unit "went south" and possibly the prop shaft was warped. This was confirmed to me today. They let me know that the lower unit is being replaced under warranty. Just FYI, before running the engine, I checked that the dealer had put gear oil in the lower unit, and actually gave it a couple pumps to make sure it was full. After a couple hours of run time, I quickly popped the drain plug, just to make sure there was no water intrusion, and it was fine. The failure happened with ~15 hours of run time. And no, I never hit anything with the prop, it's pristine.

All of the above is my first hand experience... here's some second hand info. A friend of mine bought the same motor 25 hp short shaft tiller EFI 4 stroke (but with no electric start) about a month ago. At about 3 hours of run time, his quit while on the lake, while on plane. Turns out all but one of the bolts holding his lower unit on had backed out and fallen out. There was only one remaining bolt holding it on, and this allowed the lower unit to rotate which caused the drive shaft to bend (or break?). His was fixed within a week or so and he's back on the water. But again, it makes me wonder about the long term reliability.

So, that's my story. I won't say that it was a bad purchase, the price was great, it runs strong, and both me and my green wife like that it's extremely clean running. But the "runablility" issue with the surging idle irks me, and I wonder whether things will continue to go wrong with it. It doesn't seem good to have a lower unit failure on a new motor. It also seems they have an issue with either things not being torqued correctly, or working themselves loose. If Honda or Yammie's could be had for a comparable price, maybe I'd have been better off with one of those (?). Or maybe I could've waited for the smaller e-tec's to come out (?). My guess is they'd be much more $$$.

Anyway, that's the story so far.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: '07 Merc 25 hp 4-stroke EFI - my experiences so far

1) The Mercury twist grip shift is the problem. You should consider doing away with it and converting to the front shift lever design.

2) There is no known problem with the ECM. The engine needs to be hooked up to the laptop and be diagnosed to determine what the problem is. Chances are its a sticking ISC valve or the throttle body needs adjusting. (it has a secret screw under the cap, like a carb)

3) No explanation....We don't have those kind of problems under our label(s). But, anything built by Japanese elves is subject to the same Monday morning blahs that you can find anywhere, on any brand, on any given day. Chances are there was an incorrect torque setting on the air wrench during a production run.

BF

Lieutenant

Thanks for the input TG... I had forgotten to mention in my review post that this model is a Mercury badged Tohatsu. I agree completely that the quality control issues can happen with any brand and have been careful to try not to sound like I'm bashing Merc or Tohatsu.

As for converting from the twist grip to the lever shifter, how could that be done? Replace the mercury tiller arm with a tohatsu one? or is there an easier/less expensive way? How much would the conversion cost?

About the surging idle, I'll call the service dept again and push them a bit on that. They're going to test run it in a barrel once they get the new lower unit on it, so I'll try and get them to diagnose it. I did get the feeling they were somewhat blowing me off last time I complained about it. Basically just said that's how they all are and they'd check whether there was a fix for it (which they said there was not).

I'll try and find out whatever I can about the failure of my lower unit. I'd be curious if there was any oil left in it or not. Maybe a seal went, and the rest followed (?). I wouldn't think a 25 hp would eat up lower units easily. My 150 hp is on it's 3rd driveshaft, but that's another story.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Download a free parts book from our website and see where the difference between the shift system occurs. Mercury probably has a conversion kit at this point. They released one for the 9.9 model a couple of years ago.

I asked Tohatsu about the surging and was told they have only had one reported to them in three years. That one was related to trolling for an hour or more at a time and then having a 2 to 3 second RPM bump. Then another hour and another bump.

Your lower unit failure is odd. No one makes a bad lower unit or has problems with them. But, crap happens and it looks like your number was up up:) Your buddy's problem was either a failure at the plant on QC or a dealer error. If he picked it up in the box blame QC. If the engine was out of the box it's more likely that the dealer borrowed the lower unit off of it and forgot to tighten the bolts when it was put back on. Barring impact damage, fishing line/seal failure or rookie shifting error the average lower unit will go 3000 hours of operation without problems

BF

Lieutenant

Thanks again... I didn't mention that I had asked the dealer about a conversion kit to get replace the twist grip shifter with a shift lever when I dropped it off. He said there isn't one. He smiled and said, "you know that twist grip shifter is a Mercury feature" and kind of rolled his eyes. That's why I figured it'd have to be done with Tohatsu parts. I asked him about it, and believed him when he said that they haven't found these models to be particularly troublesome. He said they'd had the odd one come back for minor things (like my missing bolts), but mine would be the first major mechanical failure they'd seen. This is a big dealership. He did say that they haven't been in service that long, so maybe failures would go up as they got more hours on them.

Maybe the surging idle and the occasional hard shift that happens because of that contributed to my LU failure (?).

Update: Spoke to service again just now... they will assess idle surging when they test run it, but basically sounded like they did not think the surging was unusual at all. I pressed them that maybe mine surges more than the normal amount and they said they'd check it. They said lower unit was due to a seal failure, water intrusion followed by bearing failure. They said the LU was full of water when they opened it up.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

The hard shift and the L.U. failure are likely related. If you wouldn't mind, when you find out the cause of the failure let us know. The surge would not be related unless it caused you to grind gears.

BF

Lieutenant

see my update above... I even suggested to them that surging/hard shift might have contributed to the failure and they said they are certain it did not. They say seal failure, water intrusion. No there is never any gear grinding, even when idle is up... just a hard shift.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

I wonder if the seal failure, which led to water in the lower unit, which led to bearing failure, could have led to hard shifting/surging. If the bearing was binding, before complete failure, the ECM could have been trying to compensate for the drop in RPM caused by the binding which could also have affected the smoothness of the shift.

BF

Lieutenant

yes, I agree with you. How they could dismiss the connection out of hand is beyond me. The fact that the LU was full of water only shows that the seals went out somewhere along the way. My first thought when turning the prop by hand was that the prop shaft felt out of true (binding at same spot of the revolution). Or could've been a bad bearing I guess. Either way, when I felt that, I was pretty sure it'd be full of water. I just wanted them to pull the plug, not me.

I'll see what they say when they test run it with the new lower.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

If you get a chance ask them what seal failed too. It's rare enough to make me curious:)

BF

Lieutenant

I got the boat back over the weekend but haven't had a chance to run it. The service guy was not able to tell me which seal failed. He knew about the idle issue, and said they test ran it, shifted gears etc, and it seemed good. He said the tech was speculating, but thought that the old LU might have been binding up somewhat even before it failed, and that resistance might have caused idle drop, and the ECU compensated by bumping up the idle (?).

Anyway when they tested with new lower, they said idle was not high and it was shifting as it should.

I'm looking forward to getting out so I can see for myself.

just_crsn

Seaman Apprentice

Hey BF, sorry to hear about the misfortune you have had with your 4 stroke. I just wanted you to know that a co worker also bought the same motor you and i have. He also had his lower unit fail shortly after be bought it....approx 15- 20 hours of use. Water inside the unit and a complete lack of oil.The dealer replaced under warranty and also blamed it on a seal failure. His engine also does the surge thing like ours.......my guess is this is a "normal":mad: condition for these motors. So far.....knock on wood....my motor hasnt given me any problems or let me down. I am hoping this will continue because duck season starts next week!!:D
Great info you supplied for potential purchasers of this motor. I wish i had some of this info before i bought my motor, not saying i would not have purchased....but would have been useful

here a couple of clips i took........sorry for the choice of music, its the only ones photobucket will let you use....lol....copy right laws!!

http://s266.photobucket.com/albums/ii273/just_crsn/?action=view&current=18a9952e.pbr

http://s266.photobucket.com/albums/ii273/just_crsn/?action=view&current=cbbdb108.pbr

captneds

Recruit

I bought the same outboard this july and I have the same problems with the idle surging and the handle shifting is horrible,Im yet to call merc and let them know how pissed off Iam specially about the surging idle and stalling,a local merc dealer (not the one i Bought it from ) had it for a week and said that Mercury says is a air bubble in the fuel rail...Bull..Im not that stupid.I will let you know if i find somebody competent enough in the M corporation who knows how to fix this idle problem.

Update: On idle surge, problem fixed.:)
T.G. was right on the money!
I remove the black cover on the motor to expose the throttle body and there it was, the adjustment screw. You need a 7mm socket to loosen up the nut and then turn the adjustment screw clockwise one and half turns (in my case), and she is a smooth as silk. Shifting has also improved.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.