Anybody use outboard as boarding ladder ?

matt2002

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Does anybody here use the prop or cavitation plate of their outboard as a way to get back in the boat ? I know using this method sounds a little dangerous but I'll wearing sneakers or shoes when I do this.In emergencies only.
I'm just concerned about damaging anything.The motor is a 75 Yamaha.

jevery

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Anybody use outboard as boarding ladder ?

Won't hurt anything. I've done it on and off all my life. Women, (at least my wife), can't do it. Not enough arm strength.

rob711

Petty Officer 1st Class

did it this weekend!! as stated women cant do it...i'll be buying a swim platform shortly!! as kids it was the only way

matt2002

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the replies.I weigh 235 so I was worried about damaging the motor.
I had tried to do it earlier today but held off because of my concerns.I'm 99% sure I have the arm strength to do it.If not its time to hit the weights more often.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

women can do it if they try. we had one ladder and only used it for a very over weight friend. he had trouble with the ladder. my mother, aunts, sister,cousins, all climbed the motor.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

That's the only way we ever climbed in when we were kids out skiing. And obviously we were barefoot. But we didn't weigh anywhere near 235. But I'm getting there now. Just make sure the motor is OFF! Not neutral, OFF.

matt2002

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well I'm 6'5" and 235.Not too overweight.But according to the BMI I'm just a bit overweight.:rolleyes:

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Hey Matt...extending an invitation to join the Iboats BOB club...that's for us Big Ol Boys. You've got about 2 inches in height on me, but I've got 20 lbs. on you. Ain't life grand...why is everything made for the little people?