Marine Tex Epoxy Putty

MSboats

Cadet
One of my Yamaha motors has a cracked lower unit (about 5" long and 1/4" wide at the worst part) but no gear oil is coming out. Has anyone used Marine Tex Epoxy Putty and had good or bad results with it? Do you think this is the best way to go about fixing the crack, any other suggestions? Thanks for this first time boat owner.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Marine Tex Epoxy Putty

I don't know about Marine Tex but people use JB Weld to fix engine blocks......

dimock44

Petty Officer 1st Class

I get a putty from wallyworld called WetWeld. It's one of those puttys you cut and mix together. I put it on leaking rivets with out much clean up over paint and undercoating and it stuck to it and stopped the leaks. They Say you can sand it, paint it, and drill and tap it. Main thing is it stuck and there is plenty of flex to my 50 year old (it was free) leaking boat.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

MS - Welding the crack would be the best way, if it can be welded. If not, Marine Tex is a reasonable second choice. The area must be clean and sound. use some kind of backing on the inside of the crack to help mold the putty. if you can add some thickness on the inside of the crack that would be good. If you can embed a piece of cloth in the putty that would be better.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

We have used marine tex in that type of situation with marginal results. It's a crap shoot as to whether or not it will hold. Sometimes it does and sometimes it does not. But, the first minor impact to the lower unit and the MarineTex will pop out.

GatorMike

Ensign

I had awesome results using epoxy putty on probably a larger break in a lower unit than you have. I knocked a half dollar sized hole in mine which leaked out all the lower unit oil, it was right in the oil compartment. My mechanic said after looking at the hole he wouldn't even try welding it because of where it was and how big it was. He wanted to scrap the lower unit and have me buy a new or used one. I figured why not try epoxy putty and it held for 5 years until I destroyed the lower unit by breaking the driveshaft in an unrelated incident. By the way the gearcase survived the later incident but with a broken drive shaft it was time for a new one. I'd try it, what do you have to lose?

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Marine tex will do the job.I have used it for the same.VERY IMPORTANT....drill a hole at the end of the crack so it cant continue to crack.Sand the crack to bare metal on both sides if accessible.Clean with acetone after sanding.When combining the catalyst with the putty make sure to use the exact amount.If you cant get it exact then a little less catalyst is better .Then mix and mix and mix thoroughly.A heat lamp(french fry warming bulb) will help the epoxy set without sagging .Charlie

bumrunner

Seaman

I've used Marine Tex for lots of applications, from fixing cracked dock boxes to patching aluminum. I am a firm believer this stuff is great. Just make sure that you mix it correctly or it won't be as strong as it could be.

MSboats

Cadet

Thanks for all the replies, we used it and it looked like it worked but we encountered more problems which we are not sure if they are connected. Thanks again