New Suzuki 140 hp motor

Flash Wax Man

Seaman Apprentice
Hello All,

I just got my 1988 Angler CC repowered with a 2006 (left over) 140 Suzuki motor. I also got a 6 year warranty with the motor. We did a brief sea trial
at the marina. All I can say is unbeleiveable. The engine is so quiet and my boat planes alot faster than my 84 115 Johnson. I am taking the boat out tomorrow morning to break in the motor. I will let you know the results.

Joe Flash

rndn

Commander
Re: New Suzuki 140 hp motor

Sounds like you're really happy. It's a nice upgrade.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Those Zukis are some nice engines. I'm sure it will serve you well..

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yours is typical of first impressions of a Suzi EFI 4 stroke, Joe. Almost word for word of my first impression of a DF70.

Maybe it has what some call "too many moving parts and not enough low end torque or macho noise", but they are SOOOOoooo sweet.

Drowned Rat

Captain

Yep, LOVE the EFI Suzukis. We've got a work boat, Boston Whaler, with the 40 hp on it and you really can't even hear it running at idle. Smoothest outboard I've ever seen, er... heard. :) Congratulations on the purchase!

Flash Wax Man

Seaman Apprentice

Hello All,

I think almost any brand outboard will do the job. I had a new Evinrude Tracker 150 in the late 80's and it was a very dependable motor. I had many years of trouble free service. As much as I am a buy American kind of guy, I decided to go jap this time. Anyway, I took the boat out yesterday morning for a test run. Its so nice to launch the boat turn the key and actually have the motor start. The motor and boat performed well. It got up a a plane pretty quick. A little porposing, but cured it with the trim.

The motor is so friggin quiet that I cant even tell that I am idling. I thought the engine stalled, but it didnt. That is something that I will have to get used to. The pee hole is way at the back of the motor and hard to see the water flow. This is something that I always look for when I turn around and glance at the motor. My Angler actually has some git up and go now. I am still in break-in period so I did not open it all the way. But close.

There are a few neat options that I am not used to. I dont have to pull out the muffs to flush the motor all the time, just connect the garden hose to the outside fitting and let it flush. The tach has an oil change reminder, check engine and all the warning alarms built into it. I also dont have to move the throttle foward to start it, because of the fuel injection. Modern technology I tell ya. I think got a pretty good deal on the motor, rigging etc (10K total). Like I said its a new 2006, but it has more efficent top end gear ratio. I almost got disgusted and sold my boat before the new motor. But, my wife and inlaws said stop getting aggravated and fixing that dam motor. Just get a new one. Now I can look foward to an enjoyable boating season. Take care guys.

Joe Flash
www.flashwax.com

gss036

Commander

My boat is in the shop for a new 225 Honda install this week. I did the normal questions about failure etc. I was told that the biggest cause of failure on the new 4 stroke engines is that people will pull into the dock and run get thier trailer and load the boat and drive off with the motor still running because they are so quiet that one tends to forget about turning the engine off.
I guess that belongs in the next Forest Gump movie.

Flash Wax Man

Seaman Apprentice

Hello,

That is unbeleiveable. If a boater forgets to shut off his outboard and tilt up the motor when he pulls that boat out, then he deserves to have it burn up. That sounds like an inexperienced boater, or someone that does not care much about thier boat. I dont like to hot dog my boat onto the trailer. When I pull out of the launch, I turn the key off, tilt up my motor, shut off all of my electronics, and when it comes out of the water, I pull out of the way and make sure everything is secure (including bimini top) so I dont have any kind of gear flying out of the boat when driving down the road. Its called taking care of your equipment and it is something you should never forget. Sometimes you can forget to do things and we all make mistakes, but that would be a big mistake. I hear alot of good things about Honda outboards also.

Joe Flash

schoolisout

Recruit

I wish you luck with your new Suzuki and your 6 yr warranty. We bought a DF140 about a year a half ago, and haven't been able to run it all year. We haven't had much luck getting Suzuki to replace the powerhead either, eventhough it had a 3 year warranty. We should have checked the BBB before we bought the boat. Suzuki has an F rating, which is the lowest rating they give. I hope you fare better than we did!