Suzuki 50 hp good choice? Help!

sosume

Cadet
Hello again,

This is sort of a continuation of a former thread I started about a week ago (33hp Evinrude-enough power?), regarding finding the proper motor for my 1965 15' Reinell Runabout. I may have found an engine that would be suitable, but being new to boating (and boat motors), I would like to ask your opinions.

The engine in question is a 1983 Suzuki 50hp DT50EL (2 cyl, 2 carb, 2 stroke) with low hours, electric start and forward controls. Price: $1500. Weight: 183 lbs. According to the original owner, this engine was designed for salt water applications even though it has only seen fresh water (????? - I didn't know engines were specifically designed for types of water)! Don't know if that's good or bad.

What do you think of this motor...and do you think it's a good choice for my old Reinell? Good realiability? Easy to get service/parts? Light enough? Powerful enough? I only plan on using the boat for pleasure cruising on fresh water lakes and rivers. Max. people onboard- 4.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

PS: I also found an old fresh water 1965 Mercury 50hp for $1500. Better choice than Suzuki? The older Mercury would match the vintage of the boat.

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: Suzuki 50 hp good choice? Help!

Here's a resource for Suzuki parts...it has parts diagrams and lists for all Suzuki outboards.

http://store.brownspoint.com/

That said, I don't know much about Suzuki outboards. You're over 20 years old there with that one, and I'm not sure about backstock on parts for older models.

I did look at waterpump rebuild kits on that site. Your model isn't listed. That doesn't mean they don't have the parts, but...

Check the Suzuki section on this site. There should be some good info there to help you make a decision.