No smoke out of my Mercury 2001 5O hp

Bill1

Cadet
Hello Guys!

I used to have a 1984 70 hp Jonhson and mixed my self the oil with the gas in the tank. When I ran the motor I saw smoke coming out somewhere close the shaft, and that indicated me that the gasoline had oil. Now recently I bought this 2001 50 hp mercury ELPTO that injects oil to the gasoline flow, but I don't see any smoke coming out from anywhere. Is this normal?, how can I be sure that the oil is mixing with the gas. Can anybody help me?. Thanks

Bill1

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: No smoke out of my Mercury 2001 5O hp

it is a far more effient system, that mixes to the speed of the motor, less smoke.

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Have the very same motor. Real good engine, wish I could buy a new one in the box and keep it in case the old one ever quits. Mine does smoke at idle. If you are in doubt, I would recommend you use 50 to 1 premix and see how much the oil tank goes down after you run about 15 gallons thru.
Use mine extensivally each weekend and dont use much oil. Will dig out my book and see if MERC gives an oil consumption figure. FRED

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Per the MERC book. oil tank capacity/ approx time 3.0 qts/ 7 hrs. Oil output with engine RPM of 1500 and oil pump@ WOT. 22.0 +/- 3.0 cc of oil in 10 mins. My suggestion again use pre mix until you are satisfied that the injection is working, wont hurt a thing. Mine dont use a lot and its been thru some serious trauma ( sunk in the surf and sand) still running strong and reliable. Tribute to how good an engine it is. FRED

Bill1

Cadet

Thank You very much Fred. I will gon on and use the pre mix, and will check ifthe injection is working, 3 qts per 7 hours.
Thanks again
Bill