Help with damaged lower unit gear case (fin)

I need some advice. I forgot to raise the outboard motor prior to hauling the boat out of the water. The result was a scraped bottom fin and a piece of metal scraped off just above the fin of the lower unit. (The angled part that runs to the fin) Should I be concerned? Is it okay like this? Will it affect performance? Can a patch of epoxy me made for it. It appears that the damage is only minor. About a quarter inch of metal was scraped off.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: Help with damaged lower unit gear case (fin)

As long as the lower unit's chamber doen't have a hole in it, it should be OK. Usually,1/4" off the bottom of the skeg is not enough to effect performance.<br />If it does, a device called "SkeGard" can be bolted onto the existing skeg.<br />You should also check the lower unit for water after your next outing,just in case it broke it's seal. Use new gaskets on the fill and vent screws after refilling the unit.

mbb

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Dont worry about it, youl never miss it. It wont affect a thing, except resale. You can have a welder lay a couple beads on it, and grind it back into shape for prob $20 if it bothers you.

mmays

Recruit

I just bought a rebuilt lower unit for my 85 Merc from the dealer, and they reshaped the skeg from the normal shape to a triangle shape, as the bottom couple of inches had been lopped off. The mechanic(Mercury Master Mechanic) said that the skeg actually has no part in performance, and is just designed to keep mild collisions from damaging the prop.(Such as what you did)<br /><br />I've known several people who have ground an inch or so off at the ramp, and never noticed the difference.

Mack McInnis

Recruit

I have a "skagard" on my 130 Yamaha, it is held on by two screws one of them is broken and the other is loose. I've never seen screws like these before. What are they called and where can I find them? Also, how do I contact the manufacter of "skagard?