Spacing twins on the transom

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral
Re: Spacing twins on the transom

But if you chopped and extended the frame...who knows? Wow, bet that puppy moved. One day I'll get lucky and actually see a Caddy or Dusenberg V-12 up close and personal. Now if I had Dad's old straight 8 out of the 49 Olds, the Texas Maid would be undergoing an inboard restoration/refit.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

BTW -- all this raises the burning question -- why two motors? No room for 3?

I had to laugh a this. After your pedigree in the area of boats, racing and everything inbetween, and your last published OMC V8 playtoy on here. Did you happen to know the guy who was surpassing 200 mph when his boat went airborne, flipped over and terminated his life? So based upon that question, why not 4? Grin

Mark

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

What published V8? Didn't think I had one of those up here.........

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Update on the Texas Maid. Got the outboards on the transom, the steering rigged and steering connector made-up and installed. First pix shows the Maid, side view. Second is shot from astern. Third is the outboards and steering connector...made that from a turnbuckle using a diagram supplied by the fine gents on the AOMCI board.
She's still not real pretty. Hull needs a coat of white (hull) and turquoise (fore deck, top gunwhales and hull stripes); need to polish out the windshield and install seats; trailer needs white paint, new bearings, winch, winch strap, and wheels. Also have to install the dual control and cables...they've yet to arrive. I'll post more pix as I go along. Dhadley, by the time I got the connector and steering rigged I would up with 1/8 inch toe in on the outboards.

Attachments

• DSCF0007.jpg
    DSCF0007.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCF0005.jpg
    DSCF0005.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCF0010.jpg
    DSCF0010.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 1

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

I think it's coming along great! And by the way --

There is room for 3.............

Marcq

Petty Officer 1st Class

Man, I always loved the look of twins on a boat. One day, I would like to do the same on my 17' Aquasport

Marc..

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

A kind gent on the AOMCI board shared instructions/photos of how to do another version of a dual-outboard connector on a cable/pulley steering system. Same principle, really, but allows you to switch back to one power source at will without re-tensioning your steering cables. Get ready for some eye candy, old OMC lovers...dig those J-sons. Here's the pix:

Attachments

• peter`s boat.jpg
    peter`s boat.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 1

wbeaton

Commander

That is a beautiful site. Did he share any info on that connecting rod between the two motors? I assume he built it. Is it adjustable?

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Yeah, he also shared the instructions for making one. Not too hard and shouldn't be too expensive...two tie-rod ends and some aluminum bar/tubing and yes it is adjustable. I think you could do the same thing with a thick, flat bar for the middle piece/spacer and it might be easier to make, too...no dies/taps needed to thread the ends of the aluminum spacer for the tie-rod ends. I may make one if I don't like how the OMC-dual connector I made works out. Seems pretty stout though and didn't lose any range in the steering system like I suspected...like Dhadley said, it's still 3 turns lock-to-lock. If you want the instructions, send me a PM and I'll email them to you.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

They use a tube so it's easily adjustable. One end is right hand threads, the other is left hand threads. To adjust all you do is loosen the lock nuts on each tie rod end, undo the steering quick connect and turn the bar to change the toe in / out.

jnimens

Recruit

Hi There.
I recently found a Johnson qd19 10 hp in my garage. It had been given to me 10 yrs ago and I forgot about it.. to my surprise it runs! I put it on a 12 ft aluminum boat got on plane the first time and emmediately thought.. I need another! and of course remote controls, steering wheel etc....
How did your project work out? any completed pics?
Thank You
Joe Nimens
North Bay ON