yamaha 60 hp 4 stroke v. mercury 60 4stroke

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmatthewspi

Recruit
I am about to buy an aluminum bass boat and am down to making my selection on brand of motor. I have configured both boats with 60 hp 4 strokes and am looking at Yamaha and Mercury. Which motor will give me less problems. I don't care about the warranty. All the warranty in the world makes no difference to me if the boat is in the shop because of motor issues.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: yamaha 60 hp 4 stroke v. mercury 60 4stroke

I would think that if the motor was in the shop all the time because of issues the you would welcome a great warranty. Both are good engines and will give great service if they are cared for. As with anything mechanical or electrical, stuff happens.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

yammy imho.

BruceAML

Petty Officer 1st Class

The answer is none of the above. I would get a 60 hp Evinrude E-TEC. 240 lbs and more reliable with lower maintenance costs.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Heck put a 150 Verado on it and get down. :)

longshanks

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yamaha 60EFI is 237 lbs
mercury 60EFI is 247 lbs

I can't see that the weight difference between either of these and the ETEC is appreciable. Any of these motors have excellent reputations. Accept that at some point, they will require maintenance, and pick the motor with the best local dealer support.

For me, that was Mercury. Plus, I like the smooth, quiet sound of a 4-stroke.

good luck with your decision!

Bass Man Bruce

Lieutenant

Just took my 50 HP E-TEC in for it's 3 yr service, - $68.00 parts and labor.
I could've done the work myself but I wanted proof it was done right to preserve the 7 yr warranty.

awsome66nova

Cadet

Don't know much about the motors, but I have a 60 hp mercury efi and its built by yamaha. I have the complete power head and only the mercury electrical and lower unit. So if you are between the two motors they are the same motor except yamaha uses better electrical equip. than mercury.

jimdd810

Chief Petty Officer

Both the yamaha and mercury share alot of parts. Much like evinrude and suzuki. They are both reliable strong engines and very easy to get parts for. Judging by the performance specs found on both factory websites they are pretty equal in performance. So it comes down to price which one is cheaper. IMHO

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

the mercury yamaha marriage ended in divorce some years back.since about 2005 yamaha was yamaha and merc is merc and they dont share anything.
something about when brunswick marine sued Yamaha over a motor dumping issue.
the judge ruled in Yamahas fvor and the marriage was over.
myself I like the way yamaha does their warrenty and customer relations.
that and yamaha doesnt use junk labeled motorola or prestolite.

jimdd810

Chief Petty Officer

Man didnt here all that about mercury and yamaha. If I had to choose any motor it would be the etech as well.

jevery

Chief Petty Officer

If your still comparing your options after three years, you might want to consider the E-TEC.

seamanship

Cadet
I think it all comes down to the service you can get from the dealer available in your area. I live in Clarksville Va and the Yamaha dealer service is awful so the 5 year guarantee is worthless. Go with the trusted dealer with a mechanic that can fix your issues.

GA_Boater

I think it all comes down to the service you can get from the dealer available in your area. I live in Clarksville Va and the Yamaha dealer service is awful so the 5 year guarantee is worthless. Go with the trusted dealer with a mechanic that can fix your issues.

The OP probably decided about 9 years ago. Read the Help Tip on top of the page.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.