How long does it take to charge a trolling motor battery??

RTDcanuck

Seaman Apprentice
How long will it take a trolling motor to charge 6hrs 14hrs what's average? i'm new at trolling motors lol as if u can't tell!!<br /><br />------------------<br />------------------------<br />Canuck's my name fishings my game!!

tuhuna

Cadet
Re: How long does it take to charge a trolling motor battery??

Hey RTD, It all depends on how far down the batt has been discharged, how large the batt is ie, reserve capacity, and what the output of your batt charger is. A 6 to 10 amp charger with auto shutoff and trickle charge is best on most deep cycle batts. If the batt is in good shape, the charger indicator will go to zero and thats when a trickle charge will float the batt. If it is not in good shape, the charger will stay somewhere above zero, say 1,2 or 3amps. this indicates sulfation of the plates and the battery is on the way out. hope this is helpful. T

Paddling

Seaman

There are many factors that affect battery charging, type of battery, age of battery, state of discharge, type of charger, etc. A rule of thumb to use is determine the amp-hour rating of the battery and divide this by the rate of charge to get an idea of the maximum charging time. 200AH/10amps=20hours. You can see that with automatic chargers that reduce the current as you charge the time will vary. When possible always charge at the lowest amp setting. Check out this page for more info http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm

Little Bear

Seaman Apprentice

Canuck,<br />Tuhuna is right about trickle charging. It normally takes my deep cycle batteries about 8 hours to charge at a 2 amp rate. Trickle charging batteries is the best because less heat is produced than a fast charge. I always use distilled water in my batteries and I always trickle charge. My deep cycle batteries normally last 3-4 years. Oh yeah, make sure they are fully charged during freezing weather.<br />Good Luck,<br />Little Bear

RTDcanuck

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for all your help i think now considering all the facters that I will defenetly get a deep cycle battery a low amp trickle charger to go with a electric trolling motor for sure now over a noisy gas also because an electric isn't near as noisy thanx all for your help it was greatly appreciated!!!
smile.gif