Johnson 4hp Deluxe

Dizz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
was wondering the weight on this motor.the model without reverse is listed as 34",seems this would be somewhat heavier.also it seems these 3-4 hp Johnsons may not have the shallow water drive,anyone know what year models to look for with the shallow water drive,as it comes in handy in these WV rivers.

hitace

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Johnson 4hp Deluxe

thats right for the wight 2 strokes are just crazy light.

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

4 deluxe is 49 pounds.
It didn't come with shallow water drive. Some of the older 3s and 4s, had shallow water drive. I know it dates back to the 60s, and possibly before, and definitely after, but couldn't tell you the exact years. There were so many variations of the 3s and 4s. Some had shallow water drive, some had tiller throttle. Some had the throttle on the side. Some had built in tanks, and some had tanks that wrap around the midsection. The 4 deluxe or 4.5 had reverse, neutral, and quite a bit of other niceties.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I have a late 80's 4HP deluxe. Very nice motor. It is considerably heavier than the early 80's 4HP I have that is the non-deluxe version with only fwd. However, it has a nice carry handle built into the transom clamp that makes it actually easier to carry around than the lighter motor. Very smooth nice running outboard.

Dizz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank`s all.I`m looking for the non deluxe version 4hp with throttle on tiller.Good luck,right!

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

I have seen a couple of those around. Mostly mid eighties and later. Why wouldn't you want the deluxe, or is the weight the issue?

Dizz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a late model 8hp rude that weighs 56lbs.I also have that Solo 6hp that weighs 41.The 41 is a lot easier to put on a jon boat in the river.We just haul it all in a pick up,as their are no boat ramps,just slide it over a steep bank.I`m gonna sell that Solo one lunger,I`m sure that Johnson will "purr".That standard 4hp rude is supposed to weigh 33lbs,but the fella that is selling one claims his is closer to 45,for some reason.Maybe they made some built lighter?

River - Runner

Petty Officer 1st Class

My 1991 Evinrude 4 hp Deluxe has shallow-water drive and the other years do also. It's a spring loaded flip down bracket. The motor's position in shallow-water drive is controlled by the position of the motor angle adjusting rod. The shallow-water drive bracket rests against the motor angle adjusting rod.

1995 was the last year the Deluxe was made. They are full featured motors and if I was to have only one motor, its the 4 hp Deluxe.

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

My 1991 Evinrude 4 hp Deluxe has shallow-water drive and the other years do also. It's a spring loaded flip down bracket. The motor's position in shallow-water drive is controlled by the position of the motor angle adjusting rod. The shallow-water drive bracket rests against the motor angle adjusting rod.

1995 was the last year the Deluxe was made. They are full featured motors and if I was to have only one motor, its the 4 hp Deluxe.
Wait, so you are saying that my motor is missing another part? Or was this an option? Man, this is gonna cost a fortune to get all the missing parts on this. It is missing the tilt lock mechanism, and all that is connected to that, and the transom clamp has been "modified" to fit the particular boat, when in fact, the boat shoulda had the modifications, as it was the faulty one.

BTW, I just missed a steal of a deal on another one. There was one on Craigslist for 200 bucks. He was advertising it as a regular 4, but when I asked for the model #, I learned otherwise. But, by the time dad got home to discuss it, it was gone. That is one of the few things I hate about being my age. Have to discuss things with him to buy them, and if I call him at work, he tells me to wait until after he gets home, which by then, the good deals are claimed.

River - Runner

Petty Officer 1st Class

bassboy1..... Looking at my 1987 thru 1996 Johnson and Evinrude brochures. 1995 was the last year for the Deluxe and all years had shallow-water drive as standard equipment. Looks like in 1988 (your motor) they added the lanyard-controlled emergency ignition cut-off switch.

With your persistent shopping for another Deluxe motor, you'll do well.