More?'s is a 90 fast enough (new glastron)

G. Arruda

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey, All
I'm really getting lots of info from these forums... Thanks!
Getting my head around a NEW boat. Needs to be entry level.
I'm still likeing the idea of an OB... Anyone with experience w/ a 90 2stroke on the Glastron 170?
Use the boat to tube, fish and pull my kids on a wake board.

Thanks lot's, Gary

wbeaton

Commander
Re: More?'s is a 90 fast enough (new glastron)

What is the max rating of the boat? The general rule is to choose a motor no less than 75% of the max rating. So if its rated for a 90hp get a motor no less than 70 hp and no more than the max of 90 hp. Get the max if possible.

G. Arruda

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks, I think the max is 150, there staring pkg is w/ a 90 yamaha

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

I have a 90 on a V156 glastron. It goes 36 MPH. You might want a little more HP on the 17 footer.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Warning: A Boating Disease called 2 foot fever may strike within one year of purchasing a new boat.

I know it is easier to spend your money than mine but serious advice..... go with a bigger motor and maybe add a foot or so to the boat now. It happens to all of us and if you are going to ski, wakeboard or tube you will need a bigger boat. It's human nature.

The additional size not only is in length but it is normally in the sides of the boat too. A little larger boat will allow you to go into bigger waters and afford more safety to the family.

Bayliner makes a decent entry level 175 but it is low to the water.

Visit a good dealer who will let you try out a few boats.

05GlastronSX

Chief Petty Officer

I have the same exact boat as the one you are considering buying except mine is a 2005. I had the option to go with the 90 as standard power or the 115, 135, or the max, 150. I without question got the 150 mercury XR6. It is a choice that i by far will never regret. I can pull up three tubers with 4 people on them and have 5 people in the boat and it will not struggle. By yourself, the boat is scary fast. Holeshot is less than 3 seconds and youll be at 55-60 mph within seconds of getting up to plane. I am not trying to brag, im telling facts. This boat with a 150 on it is scary fast and very powerful. Remember its only 17.1 ft and 1500 lbs w/o the engine. I will a pic and a link of tubing videos with the boat pulling three tubes and 4 people in the boat after i get off of work.

studlymandingo

Commander
90 Won't be enough

90 Won't be enough

You will definitely want more than a 90 on that boat. Bob has hit it on the head too; after you've had the boat a season or two and the head-swimming of the new has worn off, you'll be thinking you could really use a little more boat.

Test driving a couple of models is a great idea; try to go out when it's a bit rough so you can see how each boat feels in some decent chop. It generally requires more power to push a boat through rough-seas.​

Rancherlee

Chief Petty Officer

after hitting the 90hp range the price of engines do not climb as fast as the HP rating do, a 115 should be less than 1000$ more than a 90 and provide decent power for that boat. What engine manufacture options do you have on that boat, mercury only? jumping to a 140-150hp engine will only add less than 100# to the back of the boat also.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Frank, Is your Avatar your 36 mph boat? If so, you had better check your speedometer. That boat is doing more like 45-50.

Besides a 90 on that boat will do 45-50.....trust me.

Mark

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

G.

Once I bought a new boat (bought several over the years), first new one. Lowballed it to save money and got a smaller than allowable engine.

About a month later I was back at the dealer taking a licking on trading my new (now used) underpowered engine in on one large enough to do the job.

Get as big as you can within ratings. You don't have to use it all if you don't want......................................but I don't bet you will, I know you will. Grin.

Once spent the money is gone forever. The boat will be with you to enjoy for as long as you want.

Mark

rndn

Commander

A 115hp will be more than enough power to pull skiers and tubers, yet it will still deliver decent fuel mileage. Remeber an outboard used roughly 10% of the hp per hour at WOT so a 150 uses 15 gallons per hour and a 115 uses about 11.5 gallons per hour. It adds up quickly over the years.

jhafner

Cadet

Hello all. I own a 2000 Glastron SX-170 with a Johnson 115hp 2 stroke. I feel this is a perfect setup. I top out at around 47-48 MPH with a 19p prop, which is plenty fast. I only pull a single tube, but no issues whatsoever.

This is my first boat and it is suprisingly roomy for a 17 footer. This is due to having an outboard. There is way more room than a 18 ft I/O. Great starter boat and great motor. Johnny 2 strokes will last decades.

I would recommend the 115hp. I think the 150hp is too much for that size boat. Good luck.

lexkyboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

One other comment. I have a 15 1/2 foot Cheetah bass boat with a 93 Yamaha 115 and absolutely love the engine. The holeshot is great, it's just a sweet running ride. Best engine by far I've ever owned and picked up the rig for $2800 to make it even sweeter. But, it's primarily a fishing rig, and occasional recreation. Yeah, I know, it'd be better if I had a real fish-and-ski, but then I wouldn't have this sweet Yamaha 115. :)

That said, if your kids want to do some real wakeboarding, and you're going for more of a ski boat, have you considered getting a real wakeboarding boat? That would be something like a (used?) Mastercraft, Ski Nautique, Malibu, etc? Sorry guys, I still prefer inboards as far as reliability and ability for the backyard mechanic to work on them, and they are the boat of choice for true wakeboarders. If you are like me with little marine experience but adequate automotive skills, that car-engine-in-a-boat is something I'm partial too, plus there's ton of more torque when you add those weight sacks to the back of your boat to provide that huge wake for your kids to jump. :) I'm almost 40, but bought a wakeboard about 10 years ago but have always tried to wakeboard behind fish and skis, and it stinks! There's no wake! You can't jump if there's nothing to jump!

Alright, that said, you could always get a Malibu wedge installed on your ski boat transom that essentially plows the water to provide a nice wake too. Not sure if that's as good or comparable to wakeboarding boats though, but if you're thinking about spending $20,000 on a boat, that much money would get you a really nice used I/O with a 350/351 cu in engine with torque to boot. --Steve

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Texasmark: Nope! That avatar is my toy. Only use it when boat police are not around. It is a 14 foot flat bottom with a Force 90. It is going 56 at 5600 RPM with a 21 pitch SS prop. When I get a Round Tuit, I am going to jack the engine and maybe install Boyeson reeds to see if I can get over 60. In my collection, I have a stock chrysler prop with 25 inch pitch. When I jack the engine, I'm going to try it. Right now, it jumps out of the hole and is immediately doing 45 then as I feed in up trim the rpm and mph simultaneously climb to 56 at max trim. If you look closely, you will see that it is riding on only about 2 feet of hull. Need to put turn fins on it. Every time I run it, I run it for 2 hours then take it home and glue it for 8 hours. Go to Chrysler Crew and see my photo album. You will see how I specially re-inforced the transom to take the power. Had to re-inforce the bottom too!

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Go with the max HP for the boat. You can always back it off if you dont need it but if you lowball with the HP you will wish you had more the first time you get to WOT !!!!!!!

G. Arruda

Petty Officer 3rd Class

THANK's guy's! Excellent things to think about... now to put it all together and figure out what I can spend and on what. All in all not a bad place to be!
Thanks, Gary

05GlastronSX

Chief Petty Officer

Go with the max h.p for the boat...get the 150 if you can... Dont let some other people say that a 115 is plenty because in my honest opinion, its not. atleast get the 135 if you dont get the 115. Yes the 150 will suck more gas *AT WOT* due to the fact that its a v-6 (at least Mercury 2-strokes) but you will enjoy the boat so much more and your resale value will be much higher than a 115. Plus, a 150 will not have to work nearly as hard as a 115, much less a small 3 cylinder 90. At 35 mph, my boat runs at 3100 rpm, and id be willing to be the 90 would be nearly wide open and the 115 would be over 4000-4200 rpm. Less wear and tear and less gas.

Heres a link to a video of the boat pulling 3 tubes with 5 people and 4 people in the boat... http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b129/05_glastronSX/?action=view&current=anothertuberunwith5.flv

Attachments

• 100_0249.JPG edit.jpg
    100_0249.JPG edit.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 100_0265.JPG edited.jpg
    100_0265.JPG edited.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 0

jimmyjohn

Cadet

Like jhafner I am currently running a 2000 Glastron SX 170 with a 115hp. I have no problems pulling 3 tubers. My son is a heavy-pull slalom skier and it pulls him fine but does take a bit to get him up. Thinking of moving to an inboard boat for better wake.

protour

Seaman Apprentice

Still really new to boating.....I have a 150 hp on a 19' astroglass; 14.75" x 21 pitch and I only go 42......guess I better keep checking that compression and stuff.