"frozen" steering cable @ outboard

csb

Recruit
What is the best way to free "frozen" "stuck"<br />steering cable at outboard. Hammer,Liquid wrench, wd40, torch? <br /> thanks

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: "frozen" steering cable @ outboard

The best way is a NEW cable.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

And a stainless tube.<br /><br />Good luck!

uflanke

Cadet

Just did this this weekend. First, I removed the cable from the tilt tube, and cut it with a hacksaw. Applied plenty of liquid wrench to the rod, applied some heat from a torch, then persuaded it with my 10lb sledge. I put a pry-bar through the pin whole and hammered it OUT insead of IN.<br /><br />Becareful when using the torch. Plenty of flamable items back there, including the liquid wrench!<br /><br />After you get it out, besure to clean the tilt tube extremly well. Remove the old grease with engine cleaner (I also used carb cleaner). Remove all rust, else you'll be doing this again soon. <br /><br />Lastly, get a new cable. Check out http://www.teleflexmarine.com/ for the proper cable and MEASUREMENT! You're probably better off getting the entire helm and cable together as a single kit. My local dealer said it's about 90% of the cost of the cable anyway, any you don't have to worry about your entire steering system for a while.<br /><br />Also be careful not to bend the cable rod when inserting in into the tilt tube. Remove the engine if you have to.

Paddling

Seaman

I think every body with a salt water boat older than two seasons has to go through this at least once. I have an aquasport with an outboard that I dive out of so I am continously soaking every thing at the stern including the motor, steering, fuel filters, etc. One of my annual maintenance tasks is to pull the core of my teleflex cable, clean the old lube off and then re-coat with marine lubricant. I have also installed a grease fitting on the end tube to be able to give it a shot during heavy use. After spending the bucks on a new cable a little grease every year will seem easy.

csb

Recruit

Thanks, that's what i was afraid of. csb

Bluefish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What posion is the cable stuck retracked or exstaned. Use as much white vingar as you can get into the tube and let it soak in,than pentrating oil, if you have a slap hammer attahe it and go to it,or a raw hide hammer, hammer and wood once you break it loose you can work in some marine grease.You should allways clean and grease,change oil,before winter storge (when not in use always keep the engine turned so cable is retracked)