New Champion Plug numbers?

DaveTV

Recruit
Hi, my friend has a 90hp Johnson with Champion QL78YC plugs - my auto parts store said the plugs have been renumbered and a QL78YC is replaced by a 938-1 - has anyone experienced this? We want to throw a set of these in --THX~~

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: New Champion Plug numbers?

Darn Champion for renumbering their plugs. I suppose it made some sort of sense to them, but it's sure going to mess up a lot of old customers.

They probably did it to make life easier on their IT people, since straight numerical stuff is easier for computers (and programmers), but their decision could come back to haunt them if people switch brands.

Oh, well...I suppose I'll find out what a J4C is called now and commit it to memory.

I think you'll find that the plug is the same, regardless of the new number.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

938-1 is merely a blister pack stock number and may contain one or two plugs per pack. QL78YC is still the number that appears on the plug.

hitace

Petty Officer 1st Class

i have the same problem i went to west marine boat us and a few auto stores no body had the QL78YC so finally i went to there site and typed in the plug number and bought them straight from the website.maybe there so hard to find in marine stores because they are racing spark plugs.

heres the site and the plug your looking for

http://www.championsparkplugs.com/more_info.asp?AAIA=&pid=8633

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I sure hope the picture is not of the actual plug because someone will be very disappointed when they screw up a head. The picture is a tapered seat automotive plug. Not a gasketed plug. My local farm store stocks dozens of QL78YC plugs and the box is labeled as such. Blister packs carry the 938-1 stock number.