Planning

Tmagnum

Recruit
I have recently purchased a 1996 18'3" bass boat with a 150HP mecury on it. It has had a jack plate installed on this boat prior to my purchasing it. It seems to take to long to get up on plane and also seems to plow through the water prior to planning out.<br />Also, it cavitates quite a bit when trying to plane. Do you have any suggetstions on how I could correct this or can you lead me to someone that can help.<br />Thank you in advance for your time,<br />Tom

Jersey13

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Planning

Hey Tmagnum. I own a similar boat - '84 18ft bass boat w/150 merc - she used to take a long time getting up on plane and porposed a bunch. I put on one of those hydrofoils by Stingray and it helped a bunch. The motor was also sitting a little too high on the transom and by dropping it down one notch, it got more bite and didn't cavitate as much. Just thought i'd pass it along even though it may not help much. Goog luck.<br /><br />-Jersey

Tmagnum

Recruit

Good morning, I am using a Quicksilver, Laser II prop. The #,s on the prop are as follows if I am reading them correctly.<br />DCQuicksilver 48 16996 440 26P<br /><br />Thank you in advance for your help,<br /><br />Tom

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

That's a good prop. Can you get the top RPM's that you want? As Jersey13 mentioned, a hydrafoil will help. I prefer the larger ones one a V6, like a King Fin or Turbo Lift. Play with the jack plate height. Going down may help holeshot, but your top RPM's will decrease also. Can you tell if the prop has been reworked? Usually there will be more numbers stamped in the side somewhere.

Tmagnum

Recruit

I really have not tried to extend the RPM's very high. I am not sure what the limit is for this motor. I can say that I have had it to about 4600.<br />To me the prop does not look as if it has been reworked. The #,s I gave you are all that appear on it.<br />Do you think that a hydra foil is the only cure other than lowering the motor on the jackplate and sacraficing top end.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

If you're sure your tach is correct, I think you are about 1000 RPM off. If so it's time for a new prop. Thats too far to repitch. Besides, it's worth good money to someone who can spin it.