Cruise N Carry motors

BJK

Recruit
Does anyone have info on reliability, etc. of Cruise 'N Carry outboards. Especially the 2.7 and 6 hp motors. Since the company went out of business, should I worry about buying one?<br /><br />Thanks.

bill j

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Cruise N Carry motors

hello, I just purchaced a cruise n carry 6hp model 6800. I broke the gear on the end of the tiller arm by turning the throttle while in neutral. Like a dummy! It has a label not to do that!! it locks the throttle so not to over rev. Any way I emailed SOLO the company in germany that made it. They directed me to the US company. The nice parts lady named daisey faxed me the parts book. Every part I needed is no longer availible. I have a like new motor I cannot use. Maybe there is one out there for parts? I do think cruise n carry was a good product. The quality of the one I have seems top notch. I wish there where parts.

jbjennings

Captain

JMO,
I certainly would not buy one. The previous poster said parts are not available and it's practically new and BROKEN. That pretty well says it all to me. If you're after a reliable used motor for cheap, an older johnson or evinrude CANNOT be beat. I've bought about 7 or 8 of them and have only received one motor that could not be fixed cheaply, and even it is going to be fixed for a lot cheaper than most because so many parts are available since so many were sold. And they run so smooth that you'll wonder why anyone buys a new one.
ONce again, Just my opinion,
JBJennings

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

after a week in salt water they are crap. it was great in fresh water. parts are not available. i trashed one last year, could not get coils.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

hello, I just purchaced a cruise n carry 6hp model 6800. I broke the gear on the end of the tiller arm by turning the throttle while in neutral. Like a dummy! It has a label not to do that!! it locks the throttle so not to over rev. Any way I emailed SOLO the company in germany that made it. They directed me to the US company. The nice parts lady named daisey faxed me the parts book. Every part I needed is no longer availible. I have a like new motor I cannot use. Maybe there is one out there for parts? I do think cruise n carry was a good product. The quality of the one I have seems top notch. I wish there where parts.

If you are mechanically inclined you should be able to rig a remote throttle useing something like the replacement lawnmower throttles available at hardware stores.When my tiller Merc500 was stolen I rigged a tiller and throttle for an old 40 Evinrude ran it for a season.