1932 Johnson Outboard Motor

Kattwo

Recruit
Hi,
My Mom recently passed away and I am selling items that I can't keep. I would like to sell my Dad's old Johnson 1932 Light Twin OA-55. It's been sitting in the garage seems like forever. I remember it working in the late 50's but I think my Dad had problems with it and it wouldn't start. I don't know anything about outboard motors and wondered if you could tell me how much to ask for it. I'm not sure if it is worth anything. Thank you for any help you can provide.

Kathy

Frankhanhart

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1932 Johnson Outboard Motor

Kathy,
check Ebay for similar items and it will give you a rough estimate what to ask for that motor. Might also take it to the shop and let them check what's wrong and whether it can be gotten back in working order. Might raise the value. Good luck.... sorry about your Mom.
Frank

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

You'll get good response on eBay, especially if the motor is clean and turns over. Running condition would be nice, but you probably wouldn't get enough additional to recoup the cost of getting it running if it doesn't. Most of those interested would want to tackle that anyhow. Most collectors are cheapskates (I know because I am one ;) ) and want to get them as cheaply as possible. But they'll pay more for a clean and complete non-runner than for a grubby runner with missing or broken parts, as long as it's not locked-up. I'd put a $100 reserve on it if it's clean and turns over. If it's a one-owner, that's also very much worth mentioning. One difficult factor is shipping. It's pretty expensive, and it needs to be packaged very competently. But sometimes the buyer is close enough to pick it up instead.

You probably wouldn't get much response in your local classifieds. There are a lot of collectors out there, but they're spread out. Most watch eBay very closely and there are antiques offered all the time. Some are gems, some are garbage.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Good advice so far. I will add that Peter Hunn's Old Outboard Book price guide says your 32 OA-55 3 hp is worth $25 in poor condition up to $125 in good all-there condition. Don't ask what its worth from the AOMCI guys...they have a rule against this. But their free Webvertize ads would be one place to run an ad to sell it. Might also check the links/chapter/club pages at their website: www.aomci.org
Might find a club/chapter near you with a swap meet coming up. Selling at auction is okay, but it's best if you can have the buyer pick it up or you have the hassle to ship responsibly and if the shipper/carrier bangs it up it's a bad deal for seller and buyer. Email me a digital photo if you have one....might be interested myself.

wbeaton

Commander

Peter Hunns book is great, but I don't put much stock in the values listed in it. I have the latest printing and find the motors undervalued - at least where I live. He says a Johnson QD in top condition is worth $200, but I can't even find one in restorable shape under $100.

Kattwo

Recruit

Thank you so much for the information. Everyone here is so helpful. I listed the motor on ebay. I know the response will be limited because it is listed as "pickup only". I can't imagine packing it up so it would arrive safe and sound.
Kathy