mixed gas ok to use in 4 stroke

dreamchaser

Petty Officer 1st Class
A friend has some mixed gas 50/1 left over from the summer that he used for his kicker motor, which also has stabalizer in it....His main tank on the boat is empty ....Im wondering if He can pour this gas into the boat and run the motor... "honda 90hp 4 stroke"... to use it up and get the stabalizer thru as well ? thks for any input .......

JRJ

Commander
Re: mixed gas ok to use in 4 stroke

I wouldn't. Why take a chance on gumming up the Honda? If possible, I'd start the 90 at least once a month all winter.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Save the 2 stroke gas for spring/summer top up the Honda with gas and stabil for the winter.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

If you really want to use it then throw it in the car when you have at least half a tank. Acts just like an upper cylinder lubricant and will do no harm. I use mine up in the lawn mower occasionally or the weed whacker that is a 2 stroke and just gets better 2 stroke oil for a change !! make sure the mix is correct for it though.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

I would not stick anything in a car with fuel injection but gas...

ron7000

Banned

Burning 2-stroke oil, which is designed to burn cleanly to begin with, won't be a problem if you mix it in at a highly diluted rate,like a 1/2 gal of 50:1 to 9 gal of pure gasoline. That would be a mix of 1000:1. It'll pass through anything just fine at that concentration and would be no different than using something like lucas fuel treatment, marvel mystery oil, or fuel injector cleaner at their recommended dosages which range around 100:1 to 500:1. But I would not just pour a 50:1 mix into an empty tank and run a 4-stroke at 50:1, nor let it sit for any length of time (at any mix rate) in the tank and especially in a carb because the chances are higher it'll separate or gum up and cause problems.

forgot to mention, 2-stroke oil has some zinc and phosphorus in it. Even though it's a minute amount compared to engine oil, burning 2-stroke oil routinely at any rate will hinder and eventually kill a catalytic converter so you don't want to use it as a "regular" fuel additive on an auto.

dreamchaser

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok.... thks All ......will pass on the these answers to my friend ......

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

ron7000 said:
Burning 2-stroke oil, which is designed to burn cleanly to begin with, won't be a problem if you mix it in at a highly diluted rate,like a 1/2 gal of 50:1 to 9 gal of pure gasoline. That would be a mix of 1000:1. It'll pass through anything just fine at that concentration and would be no different than using something like lucas fuel treatment, marvel mystery oil, or fuel injector cleaner at their recommended dosages which range around 100:1 to 500:1. But I would not just pour a 50:1 mix into an empty tank and run a 4-stroke at 50:1, nor let it sit for any length of time (at any mix rate) in the tank and especially in a carb because the chances are higher it'll separate or gum up and cause problems.

forgot to mention, 2-stroke oil has some zinc and phosphorus in it. Even though it's a minute amount compared to engine oil, burning 2-stroke oil routinely at any rate will hinder and eventually kill a catalytic converter so you don't want to use it as a "regular" fuel additive on an auto.

Thats more or less what I was trying to say!!

aerwin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I do it all the time, have a little 2 stroke mix left and thro it in the lawn mower, small air cooled 4 strokes could use the little lubrication it sets from the 2 stroke mix, granted I'm only putting in a quart of mix in a 3 gal tank on my rider mower

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

aerwin said:
I do it all the time, have a little 2 stroke mix left and thro it in the lawn mower, small air cooled 4 strokes could use the little lubrication it sets from the 2 stroke mix, granted I'm only putting in a quart of mix in a 3 gal tank on my rider mower
I agree. Never had any issues with a very light mix in a 4 stroke and my weed whacker is running great with the "premium" 2 stroke oil it gets occasionally !!

JUSTINTIME

Captain

its fine in carb motors but in fuel injection it may clogg the injectors