• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old threads or hijack existing threads. Old threads of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old threads should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís thread (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the thread is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old thread.

5. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís thread. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to threads that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any thread that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old thread.

7. Posting at the end of any thread is considered to be hijacking the original posters thread which in turn subjects the thread to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive thread asking you not to reply to old threads. The Red banner will read: Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

mixed gas ok to use in 4 stroke

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mixed gas ok to use in 4 stroke

A friend has some mixed gas 50/1 left over from the summer that he used for his kicker motor, which also has stabalizer in it....His main tank on the boat is empty ....Im wondering if He can pour this gas into the boat and run the motor... "honda 90hp 4 stroke"... to use it up and get the stabalizer thru as well ? thks for any input .......

Re: mixed gas ok to use in 4 stroke

I wouldn't. Why take a chance on gumming up the Honda? If possible, I'd start the 90 at least once a month all winter.
    Lake Shasta with Mt. Shasta in the background, June 2011

Comment

Save the 2 stroke gas for spring/summer top up the Honda with gas and stabil for the winter.

Comment

If you really want to use it then throw it in the car when you have at least half a tank. Acts just like an upper cylinder lubricant and will do no harm. I use mine up in the lawn mower occasionally or the weed whacker that is a 2 stroke and just gets better 2 stroke oil for a change !! make sure the mix is correct for it though.
        sigpicMarada 2100 Executive Series, 5 Litre V8 with Mercruiser Alpha 1 outdrive. 2007 K-Z Spree 260 RBH, all = a whole lot of family fun !!!!

Comment

I would not stick anything in a car with fuel injection but gas...

Comment

Burning 2-stroke oil, which is designed to burn cleanly to begin with, won't be a problem if you mix it in at a highly diluted rate,like a 1/2 gal of 50:1 to 9 gal of pure gasoline. That would be a mix of 1000:1. It'll pass through anything just fine at that concentration and would be no different than using something like lucas fuel treatment, marvel mystery oil, or fuel injector cleaner at their recommended dosages which range around 100:1 to 500:1. But I would not just pour a 50:1 mix into an empty tank and run a 4-stroke at 50:1, nor let it sit for any length of time (at any mix rate) in the tank and especially in a carb because the chances are higher it'll separate or gum up and cause problems.

forgot to mention, 2-stroke oil has some zinc and phosphorus in it. Even though it's a minute amount compared to engine oil, burning 2-stroke oil routinely at any rate will hinder and eventually kill a catalytic converter so you don't want to use it as a "regular" fuel additive on an auto.

Comment

Ok.... thks All ......will pass on the these answers to my friend ......

Comment

Originally posted by ron7000
                Burning 2-stroke oil, which is designed to burn cleanly to begin with, won't be a problem if you mix it in at a highly diluted rate,like a 1/2 gal of 50:1 to 9 gal of pure gasoline. That would be a mix of 1000:1. It'll pass through anything just fine at that concentration and would be no different than using something like lucas fuel treatment, marvel mystery oil, or fuel injector cleaner at their recommended dosages which range around 100:1 to 500:1. But I would not just pour a 50:1 mix into an empty tank and run a 4-stroke at 50:1, nor let it sit for any length of time (at any mix rate) in the tank and especially in a carb because the chances are higher it'll separate or gum up and cause problems.

forgot to mention, 2-stroke oil has some zinc and phosphorus in it. Even though it's a minute amount compared to engine oil, burning 2-stroke oil routinely at any rate will hinder and eventually kill a catalytic converter so you don't want to use it as a "regular" fuel additive on an auto.
                Thats more or less what I was trying to say!!

sigpicMarada 2100 Executive Series, 5 Litre V8 with Mercruiser Alpha 1 outdrive. 2007 K-Z Spree 260 RBH, all = a whole lot of family fun !!!!

Comment

I do it all the time, have a little 2 stroke mix left and thro it in the lawn mower, small air cooled 4 strokes could use the little lubrication it sets from the 2 stroke mix, granted I'm only putting in a quart of mix in a 3 gal tank on my rider mower

Comment

Originally posted by aerwin
                    I do it all the time, have a little 2 stroke mix left and thro it in the lawn mower, small air cooled 4 strokes could use the little lubrication it sets from the 2 stroke mix, granted I'm only putting in a quart of mix in a 3 gal tank on my rider mower
                    I agree. Never had any issues with a very light mix in a 4 stroke and my weed whacker is running great with the "premium" 2 stroke oil it gets occasionally !!

Comment

its fine in carb motors but in fuel injection it may clogg the injectors
                      HUMAN BUILT = HUMAN FIXED
                      CERTIFIED MARINE TECH

Comment

Working...
                      X