1940 - 41 Evinrude Elto 1.8 hp

Hey Guys,
My neighbor Just brought over this very old evinrude to me to see if I could get it running for him. This ser. # is 4351-01322 and from what I was able to find it was made from 1940 -1941. It turns over freely and has what seems to be good compression, ( I have no idea what the compression should be on this motor) Any info. anybody can give about this classic motor would be greatly appreciated. It's a really cool piece of history I think, and it would be cool to see it run!

Chris

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral
Re: 1940 - 41 Evinrude Elto 1.8 hp

That's a 41 Elto Ace, 1.8 hp. It uses a Champion C7 plug gapped at .025, point gap is .020, and fuel mix is 1/3rd pint per gallon of gas. That fuel/oil ratio was made on 40 weight motor oil, but TCW-3 marine oil should do nicely. If I remember correctly the carb has a spring plunger inside instead of a float. To set the initial rich/lean setting, turn the knob/indicator clockwise until the needle seats gently. Then open the needle (turn counterclockwise) one full turn, loosen the set screw on the knob/indicator and set the top/pointer in the middle of the numbers, then retighten the set screw. Make sure the tank, fuel line and carb are clean. Set the throttle advance to start, prime the carb a few times and pull the rope. Once it kicks over you will have to adjust the rich/lean needle to find the sweet spot. You will have to readjust slightly when you go to Fast or idle down to Slow. Don't run it for long in a barrel, the water pump needs to be fed water by forward motion of the boat/craft. Sweet little motors. I restored a Ranger a year or so ago and then its cousin, a Sportsman. Wish I still had them both. Acme Outboards has an Evinrude service manual for outboards of this vintage...you can find them by using the Web search engines, like Google.