Honda BF15A (Old Style) Xtra Long Shaft Replacement

gxxdman

Cadet
When my old style Honda 4 stroke was stolen earlier this year I was left with a very difficult problem! Old style 15hp Hondas are difficult to come by in Europe, especially if an Extra Long Shaft (710mm/28.0in) is required - few were imported and none seem to come onto the second hand market.

The newer style 4 stroke engines will not fit in the outboard well of my old Bobcat Catamaran. I need electric start and remote controls as well as a charging system for the boat’s batteries. Can anyone recommend a replacement ie Extra Long Shaft and no bigger than the original?

(I have managed to get a BF15A Long shaft (570mm/22.4in) and it is cavitating - there is no way I can get the boat transom any lower than about 500mm/20in or fit a lowering device. New parts for an extra long modification will cost as much as the engine!)

Are there any other outboards which might solve my problem? Unfortunately, unlike Yamaha, critical diminsions are not available for Hondas so I cannot see if their new BF10 would fit without trying it. From what I can see the engine cover might just clear the tiller bar etc but no one is prepared to order one just in case!

Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated. I don’t think the cavitation problem can be solved in any other way - there is only a choice of 2 props and I have the coarsest and in any case I really need power not speed.