Seafoam as stabilizer/winterizing ???

MASTER Brian

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I know there are lots of articles about this, but I haven't seen these questions come up....

I have heard I can use Seafoam as a fuel stabilizer, my question is how much should I use? I figure sometime later this month I should start adding it to my fuel and running it in my boat, so that when the weather does turn too cold, it's ready to go.

Being as it's a fishing boat, I'll likely take it out, well into the fall and around here there are Octobers where it is suddenly too cold to go out, or it could be November and possibly into December before it's too cold. I'd like to be able to take the boat out as long as possible, but be prepared, when I can't any longer. By February, there are times, I could be back on the ater, but it could also, easily be March.

Also, what about fogging for my situation. I'm guessing that will be hard on the plugs, when it's time to start it back up, what does everyone do? (i.e., if I fog it then take it back out, what is the procedure?) Put some old plugs in, run it, and then install the good ones?

Also, I read some newer motors have holes drilled in the carb cover so that you can easily fog a motor, is there a reason, not to drill a hole in the cover for each of my carbs? If done, they would only be big enough for the "straw" of the spray can.

Oh yeah, what about my hull drains? Ranger has floor drains in several places in the boat, as well as the livewells. Should I pour some RV Antifreeze in all of these and then tilt the boat up as high as possible to let it run out or should they be ok?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Seafoam as stabilizer/winterizing ???

I see no reason to fog your engine at all since it is not layed up for very long periods. Even if it is fogged, you start it just like you did any other time of the year. It will smoke a bit until the fogging oil burns off. If you feel you need new plugs, install them after its been cleared of fogging oil. As for SeaFoam, starting right now, use it in every tank of fuel. Directions are on the can. It is intended for continued use and can also be used to decarb the engine. Using SeaFoam continuously does several things -- It cleans the fuel system, reduces carbon build-up, stabilizes the fuel, and removes moisture. I use it in every vehicle I own as well as small engines. It is particulary beneficial in carbed two-strokes.

MASTER Brian

Thanks, Rick. I'll start adding 1 can per tank {2) 12 gallon tanks} until next spring.

My next question is, since their Deep Creep is the same thing, wouldn't running it in the gas do sort of the same thing as fogging? I realize fogging is adding a much more concentrated amount, but let's say, I am running the boat until November (temp in 60;s), when it suddenly turns and stays cold (30's to 40's) for weeks/months, would I be somewhat safe even if I couldn't get out to fog it?

I guess a better question would be, what is the longest a motor should sit without being fogged?

MASTER Brian

Silvertip, my post must have crossed yours, so part of the question is mute. IF I can run the boat into November and get it back on water in February, I shouldn't have to worry about fogging, but there are times when it's too cold in Oct, through, March. At those times, I'm guessing a fogging is in order, if I can catch it soon enough....

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I'm in Minnesota and my boat is layed up from early November until late March or early April. That's roughly six months so I do fog the engine and it is stored inside. I would suggest that if your engine sits for three or even four months that its not necessary. If it sits outside I would fog it but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it if it wasn't. On the other hand you can fog it and if the weather turns nice and you want to run it, go ahead -- like I said, it will smoke a bit but will clear out in very little time.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Yep, I never fogged anything up until about 5 years ago and never had any problems. Years ago it was unheard of, as was fuel stabilizer...

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

On long storages, I like to turn the engine over ever couple of weeks to move things around to different positions and roll a little oil around. The Deep Creep spray can is perfect for a prelude to this and I don't think you need to get everything sloppy wet.

On holes in the air silencer, wasn't too many years ago that Merc didn't have silencers on their carbs. My '89 tower didn't have any, but my '84 85 did. I wouldn't worry about it. Besides if it should (can't believe it would) mess something up, you can always put some RTV over the holes and forget it.

Mark

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I also like to roll the prop around in N a few revs to insure that if any water were in the lu, it gets displaced by fresh oil on the gears and bearings that aren't moved when I spin the engine.

Mark

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Good advice, Mark. I do that too and I turn the steering wheel lock to lock to prevent the dreaded cable freeze up...God I hate winter.....

MASTER Brian

rickdb1boat said:
Good advice, Mark. I do that too and I turn the steering wheel lock to lock to prevent the dreaded cable freeze up...God I hate winter.....

Thanks for the tips, they are helpful.

Can you explain this post a bit more though??

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

The air silencer on my '79 3-cyl has holes labelled for fogging...it's more of a molded-in gap between the silencer base and cover on the edge, one for each carb. I don't use 'em of course since I fish year-round.

Brian, two things you should do:
* change the gearcase oil before the first hard freeze, so in case you got some water intrusion it won't crack open.
* trim the motor all the way in for a few minutes before trailering home, so all the water can drain from the powerhead.

MASTER Brian

Thanks for reminding me on that gearcase. I need/want to drain it to double check things prior to winter. I'll put that on my too do list sometime in October.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

That was just a little advice to prevent the steering rod from freezing up in the tilt tube when sitting over the winter. When they do, it's a bear to get them out. It's a good idea to remove the rod and clean and lube it once a year. Condensation gets in there over the winter and rust/corrosion can lock it up tight. By turning the steering wheel occasionally, it will prevent this problem...Has nothing to do with fogging/winterizing, but thought I would throw that in....

MASTER Brian

Sorry, but I am still a bit confused on the steering wheel lock. Are you talking about the knob under the wheel that turns to tighten or loosen the steering?

I understand your point about moving the wheel to keep the cylinder from sticking and that is a good idea, thanks! I'm just not sure how the lock comes into play.

I have been keeping the cylinder at the engine lubed, but do I also need to do something at the dash? I have seen nothing about that area in the manuals, nor do I recall seeing a lube point there. Mine is the twin cable design.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

"Lock to Lock" is just an expression for turning the wheel all the way one way and then all the way the other...Sorry for the confusion. You're doing what you need to do...

Laddies

Banned

texasmark, if you had ever had a lower unit apart then you would know turning the prop or prop shaft does not turn the gears only the shaft and clutch dog. Turning it does nothing, the only anwser to water is change the gear oil in the fall.
rickdb1boat, if you had torn down a few engines that had been stored improperly. Improperly fogged or not fogged at all and saw the ring marks left on the cyl. walls and port marks on the pistions, let alone the bearing and crankshaft damage done to engines you might reconsider your advise.
While Seafoam products are usefull to some people they are not the total product that some expound, they don't do total engine overhauls and many other things claimed by some, as a fogging oil it's better than nothing and as a fuel stabilizer I don't really know but if I needed a product for either purpose I would use a product that was made specifically for that purpose. Do all of you really think that Seafoam is going to say that there are better products for some of your projects than theirs, please don't be that naive.
At time we all give advise to quickly, without alot of thought but some should think about the damage their poor advice can do to others engines and wallet.
I know these are not remarks that will endear me to some and have thought about some of the advise I have witnessed in posting in the last few months and finally could not keep my mouth shut any longer. Bob

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

poor advice

Laddies

I did not "Advise" anything. I stated that I did not start using fogging oil up until about 5 years ago. And never had any problems before that with any engine I owned. I do fog now and use stabilizer. Times change. I kinda doubt all those 50's and 60's motors running around were fogged back when they were newer....I've seen the innerds of an engine once or twice down the road....As for poor advice, that's your opinion....

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

Laddies said:
I know these are not remarks that will endear me to some and have thought about some of the advise I have witnessed in posting in the last few months and finally could not keep my mouth shut any longer. Bob

Laddies,
If I am giving advise that is not correct, PLEASE correct me!! It is given with the best intentions. Same goes for anyone that knows my advise may be bad. Maybe I should just keep my keyboard shutup.

But to the post, what is the difference between fogging and running some Seafoam, it fogs alot?