Johnson 4 HP Deluxe?

danpemby

Chief Petty Officer
Hi All, This is my first post here. I just purchased a Johnson 4 HP Deluxe and would like to know if anyone can tell me what the difference is between this and the standard model. I have been searching and can find very little info on these engines.
The Model number J4RDEIA
Any source of info would be much appreciated.
Thanks

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Johnson 4 HP Deluxe?

That's a 1991 engine, Dan.

Does it have a gearshift? That could be the difference.

05GlastronSX

Chief Petty Officer

thats the difference then most likely...im not a johnson/evinrude expert, but i would guess that the standard model didnt have the gearshift (F-N-R) like JB said.

danpemby

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks guys!

Any suggestions on where the best place to get a users manual for this would be?

ratracer

Petty Officer 1st Class

My 4 Deluxe is a 1991 model as well.

The service manual has just about everything that is important/useful in the users/owners manual and a whole lot more. The correct manual (2-8HP OEM Johnson/Evinrude, 1993 version) is often available on eBay.

Functionally, a 4 Deluxe is pretty much just a standard 4HP powerhead grafted onto a 6HP lower end.

danpemby

Chief Petty Officer

ratracer said:
My 4 Deluxe is a 1991 model as well.

The service manual has just about everything that is important/useful in the users/owners manual and a whole lot more. The correct manual (2-8HP OEM Johnson/Evinrude, 1993 version) is often available on eBay.

Functionally, a 4 Deluxe is pretty much just a standard 4HP powerhead grafted onto a 6HP lower end.

River - Runner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Congratulations on that motor purchase. You have one nice motor!

Pictured is my 1991 4 hp. Deluxe Evinrude. Model E4RDHEIA. Yours is a Johnson but they are the same.

The boat is rated for a 40 hp. motor and it pushes it at a running speed. It's a great 2 cylinder fishing motor and it starts so easy that you can rope start it in gear and not tell the difference.

Dcp_143940.jpg

Dcp_145940.jpg

ratracer

Petty Officer 1st Class

I use mine on a 12' aluminum deep-vee hull, I'd guess a gallon of gas lasts maybe 2-3 hrs. All I know for sure is that a 6 gallon tank lasts a LONG time.

Rancherlee

Chief Petty Officer

should be able to go all day on a 3 gallon tank. I get atleast 8hours of trolling off my 6hp and a 3 gallon tank and thats pushing a 16 foot boat around all day @ 1/3 throttle (arrow is pointing at the "start" position)

River - Runner

Petty Officer 1st Class

I never kept track of the running time for a 3 gallon tank. It's quite meaningless to me for how I use it, and depends on how fast you run the motor. Like the others said, it's a LONG time.

You got a very good price for your motor, and it's hardly broke in! I paid $788.73 new for mine, have receipt, and it came with a 3 gal., metal, low profile gas tank, with hose. When I get gas I add one or two gallons max. in the tank. All I've ever done to the motor is grease where needed and change the lower unit lube.

For me, small is the best, for a fishing motor. It's so versatile for the different styles of fishing, including back trolling.