evinrude 92 40 / 48hp special

jeff winter

Cadet
Im looking to replace a Johnson 35 and have the opportunity to buy a 48 special a carbureted 40 so Im told. Any thoughts about this motor? I have a 17 deep v aluminum open side steer that I use strickly for fishing with a good bit of trolling envolved. Is this Evinrude a winner?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: evinrude 92 40 / 48hp special

Actually the 48 is non-oil injected 50 (althought the displacement is the same on both engines). My previous engine was a '95 40 HP Evinrude and it was a flawless performer. Just not enough ponies for my new boat.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I have a '87 Johnson 48SPL that works just fine, Jeff. I wasn't aware that they also labeled it as an Evinrude.<br /><br />I really doubt that it performs any less than a 50 and is labeled 48 merely to justify the lower price.

jeff winter

Cadet

Thanks for your thoughts Upinsmoke & JB, I really appreciate it. A cold beer to ya if you get to Colorado. From what youve indicated this could be a really sweet unit....... now if I can afford it.... Now for the important question........if this engine is in reasonable condition (92 or 93) what do you think a realistic pallpark figure $$$$ do you estimate its worth? Im not really up with motor prices these days..............last one I bought( used ) was 15 years ago and I know new units are thru the roof!! :cool: Cheers, Jeff

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Look at what they go for on ebay, Jeff. That should give you a top price. I would offer about 20% below that for a face-to-face deal.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Those 48's are some good motors and will bring a good price. But worth a few extra dollars, IMO....

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

The thing about the 48's is that they are often stripped down models. Low 4 amp output alternator compared to the 12 amp listed on the 40 and 50 non-comercial models. No VRO, and often no power tilt and trim.<br /><br />And that is not a bad thing, they just remove the stuff that is more prone to breakage and abuse and needs service from the commercial model to make it a toughter longer lasting outboard. <br /><br />So be sure you are comparing apples and apples when price shopping. For example: Power tilt and trim is worth adds an easy $300 and up in good working order over a 40hp without it.

jeff winter

Cadet

Thanks Mark,<br /><br /> just saw a couple of ads in the newspaper this am....... <br /><br /> 86 evinrude 40 hp, remote including controls, prop and tank $875<br /><br /> 91 evinrude 50 hp LS tiller or remote, TT $950<br /> What is TT ?<br /><br /> any thoughts on these? thanks, Jeff

jeff winter

Cadet

Thanks Mark,<br /><br /> just saw a couple of ads in the newspaper this am....... <br /><br /> 86 evinrude 40 hp, remote including controls, prop and tank $875<br /><br /> 91 evinrude 50 hp LS tiller or remote, TT $950<br /> What is TT ?<br /><br /> any thoughts on these? thanks, Jeff

jeff winter

Cadet

jeff winter

Cadet

Im also assuming that LS means long shaft?? <br /><br />The shaft in my current Johnson lower unit is approx 21" from splined end to gearbox inlet.... would this be a LS or Std ?? Am I thinking right here?<br /><br />Also ,thanks rickdb1boat for the TT tip....that is a BIG plus! Not knowing much about prices........ is $950 a reasonable price for the 91 50hp in average condition? Seeings as how Im in Colorado Id bet it is a freshwater unit.<br />thanks, Jeff<br /><br /><br />Work is the scourge of the drinking man.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

To determine shaft length, you measure from the top of the transom bracket (the part of the motor that rests on the transom) to the anti-ventilation plate (the flat plate just above the prop). 15" = short shaft, 20" = long shaft 25" = extra long shaft. By the way -- I have a sister in Brighton (Van Air) and a brother in Berthoud. Nephew in Longmont and two in Greeley.

jeff winter

Cadet

Upinsmoke, thanks for the shaft info......Im now an expert. :cool: <br /> Sounds like you must be a Colo transplant.....how could you leave Colorado......... must have been an exhorbitant amount of money, eh? <br /><br />Thanks again for the info, youre a champ. Jeff

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

For Colorado, that price sounds close. I have a Daughter in Lake City. Was out there about a month ago. To cold for me. I like my boating too much and the season is too short there....

jeff winter

Cadet

Rick, youre right about the boating season....... warm water : Feb thru Nov, mountain lakes(real cold): April thru Oct. Since moving to Colorado from Florida 30 years ago.....I dont swim anymore! On the other hand I dont miss the humidity one bit.!!!<br /><br />On the price front...... would the price be higher or lower anywhere else? Thanks a ton for the info. Jeff<br /><br /><br />Work is the scourge of the drinking man.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Nope on the Colorado transplant. My Kin in Colorado, like me grew up in Wisconsin. Jobs took us away but even though I've lived in Minnesota (Land of 10,000 lakes and few mud holes), I still fish in Wisconsin far more than Minnesota. Not enough water in Colorado - one gets tired of running in circles. Where I fish we routinely put on 30 miles a day to and from the various fishing holes. I do visit CO often and enjoy my visits. Pretty country.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

$950 for the '91 with working tilt & trim sounds like a good deal. Bring a compression gauge and spark plug wrench. As long as it has even compression and runs good, it is a fair price.<br /><br />Also don't forget about the controlls and steering setup. If your existing controls won't connect, and/or the side steering does not use the steering tube connection, then it will cost more to install that motor.<br /><br />Got a battery?<br /><br />Need a VRO remote oil tank? <br /><br />You can price out a bunch of these parts on ebay if you need them.