What year will two stroke outboards be obsolete in CA, and AZ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am boat shopping for the first time, and I am having a hard time deciding between buying an I/O and an outboard. I grew up on Mason Lake. WAa in the summers driving my grandpa's old Fiberform with a 1976 65 HP Merc, so I am partial to Mercury outboards I just don't know when they will be outlawed...We have 2 Sea Doos that are 2 strokes and will be outlawed in 2012. We love going to the Colorado River, and some parts are so shallow an outboard could turn into an anchor. What do you all think?

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: What year will two stroke outboards be obsolete in CA, and AZ?

Welcome to iboats. :) <br /><br />Never. The direct injected two strokes they make now are cleaner than 4-strokes. The conventional carbureted and EFI configurations will eventually be banned and already are in some places. But just because they will be, don't let that sway you from buying a 2-stroke outboard. Just make sure it's Direct Injected. If it's a new boat, you'll have a hard time finding anything that isn't (there are still a few straglers).

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Outboard Non-repair

JRJ

Commander

If the river is your primary interest, I would look at metal inboard jets. You can ski and fish and not worry about sand bars :cool: Enjoy looking.

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade

My fav California lake (Lake Tahoe) has already banned carbed 2-stroke engines. Other regional lakes in California have similiar restrictions.<br /><br />Here is the page that is linked to from the page that Seahorse listed above:<br /><br /> http://www.dbw.ca.gov/TwoStroke/TSList.asp <br /><br />Thanks for reading, Chuck

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant

Originally posted by seahorse:<br /> Here is another good link, this one about Lake Tahoe:<br /><br /> http://www.newrules.org/de/archives/000009.html
"Even with the ban, gasoline products still end up in the lake. A carbureted two-stroke dumps about 30 percent of its fuel into the water. Four-stroke and fuel-injected two strokes, which are the type of engines allowed on the lake, release between 1 and 2 percent." :eek: :eek: :eek: <br />Are they saying for every 10 gallons of gas I use I'm dumping 3 gallons into the water......no way! :eek: :eek:

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

It depends how hard you run the motor. 2-strokes are very efficient in the upper RPM range and horribly inefficient at low RPMs. The gas burns more completely at hi revs, a lot of gas jumps straight accross the top of the pistons and out the exhaust ports at lo revs. I'm sure you've seen pretty rainbows in the water by your idling 2-stroke. That'd be the unburned stuff shimmering on the water.

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant

OK I'm gonna run 10 gallons of gas through my motor in a barrel with 50 gallons of water in it. Using their theory, I should have 53 gallons of water/gas in the barrel when I'm done. (OK...I'm really not gonna do the test, but it still sounds like a lot of gas blowing out the exhaust)

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

I believe it. I have two ATV quads, both similar weight and size. The 350cc two stroke burns twice the gas as the four stroke 300cc on a typical run. The four stroke is always in front on a trail, because the smoke of the two stroke will make you nautious if you are behind it! That's smoky unburned fuel spewing into the air! Yum yum!

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant

That and the the 4 stroke only fires every other stroke. Should stand to reason that it burns less fuel. Maybe I'm taking this to literally. Maybe it should say "up to 30 percent" meaning it's not doing that 100% of the time it's running.

sea_stork

Cadet

That's more like it. Maybe we should just outlaw trolling with 2-strokes. I love my 2-stroke, and it rarely idles very long.:D

SeaNymph Man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Oh no,...not another two stroke vs. four stroke discussion!:eek::eek:

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Gentlemen........ This is a 4 year old thread that was dragged up from the archives!!

We like to use the older threads as a reference and do not bring them up and try to answer a four year old post.

I appreciate the demonstration of using the SEARCH however, in the future please do not answer an old post unless it was your post to start with.

Say goodnight to this post ....... I will lock it up and let it flutter back into the archives ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.