etec vs mercury verado

blitzman17

Seaman Apprentice
looking into buying new outboard wondering which one is a sound buy looking for a 200hp I know the market is leanig towards 4 strokes as opposed to 2 strokes I was looking at the mercury verado supercharged and the evinrude etec booth have their own advantages like to here from someone who has either one or someone with knowledge to which one would be a good choice................thank you

Mod2

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: etec vs mercury verado

Moving to Outboard Discussion.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Im about ready to be in the market again myself. So I have been doing a lot of reading and listening. I was also interested in the Varado. I have since come to the conclusion I will buy the E-TEC. <br /><br />There is quite a bit of discussion on this subject in these forums.<br /><br />Use the search at the top of the page, right under "Post A Reply" type in "E-TEC".

gss036

Commander

I also have been following news on both engines. E-Tec now has a small block 200 hp if you are running a lightweight boat, but if you have a heavier boat and support the weight go with the 3.3L E-tec. One will have to shop for best price as some of the dealers very proud of the E-Tec. I talked w/a dealer last week and they were quoting list price and would not budge, said they had no reason to at this point as they sell all they can get.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Verados are primarily designed for offshore type boats. Naturally they'll work on other boats, but the weight is a huge factor on smaller boats. One big problem they're having on bass boats is getting water into the bottom cylinder because they settle so low in the water. Twin Verados weigh in the ballpark of triple E-tecs. Supercharged motors carbon-up badly unless they're worked. Lousy choice for extended trolling. It all depends on the boat and how it's used. Wutcha wanna put it on?

ciolekr

Cadet

Wait! Wait! Wait! First unless things have changed you cannot retro fit the merc's they only come on new boats from the factory. Second I just repowered with E-tecs and something is never said<br />about them and thats they eat spark plugs. Spark plugs go for ten dollars a piece and they have to be changed every 70 or 80 hours.That three years without service is not true. Other then that the factory have the right thing and paid for the spark plugs and I also have to say the performance on the motors is great I enjoy the hell out of them.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by ciolekr:<br /> Second I just repowered with E-tecs and something is never said<br />about them and thats they eat spark plugs. Spark plugs go for ten dollars a piece
If an E-TEC is having plug troubles, then the dealer is not checking the motor over like he should. Most likely there are thermostats or a pressure relief valve that is not working correctly and the motor is not getting up to operational temperature. There is a bulletin on how to check this. Call BRP customer service if this continues.<br /><br />Mercury Verado sparkplugs are about $17 apiece.

D

DJ

e-tec, for me. Repowering a 20' "toon", this spring, in the 75 HP range.<br /><br />Weight is an issue with this toon.<br /><br />Technology has given us great lightweight 2-strokes. 4-strokes are meant for cars, in my opinion. <br /><br />Why?<br /><br />1. Four strokes need hot temp's to burn off combustion waste (blow by). 160 degrees (F), burns off-NOTHING.<br /><br /><br />2. Four strokes, even in I/O and inboard applications, fight internal corrosion because of #1.<br /><br />3. #2 becomes more of an issue with so called "lightweight" four strokes because of all aluminum contruction, etc.<br /><br />IMHO, four strokes are fine, and best serve, in a "closed" environment where they can burn off #1.<br /><br />Even a "marininezed" small block Chevy is an anchor, waiting to happen, without a "closed" cooling system.<br /><br />When GM stops building their "anchors" already done, there will be nothing but aluminum blocks. Those require closed cooling systems-to live.<br /><br />Prices go up, outboards look more attractive.<br /><br />The 2-stroke technology is there. Lack of maintenance KILLS 2-stokes.<br /><br />The same, lack, will kill an aluminum four stroke-QUICKER-IMHO.<br /><br />With all of that said, Americans will maintain a foreign named outboard, according to spec's. They will not do so for an American named product. I've seen it, I can PROVE it. The same goes for cars/trucks, etc.<br /><br />An Evinrude "four stroke-built by Suzuki) will recieve far worse maintenance than the Suzuki branded product. Again, seen it to be true.<br /><br />The point is "will". Americans see NO value in an American name. That's another topic.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

I just got back from the Miami Boat Show. I can tell you that after looking at every manufacturer's outboard....They are all the best! How do I know this? Because they all say so. The fact of the matter is that no one builds junk. Lets say they all start at a ten. Now how does every brand lose a point:<br /><br />BRP E-Tect---Phony "no maintenance" bull.<br /><br />Merc Verado--Some are going poof.<br /><br />Yamaha-------Overpriced<br /><br />Honda--------Overpriced<br /><br />Suzuki--------Dealer network spotty<br /><br />Tohatsu------Dealer network spotty<br /><br />There are lots of good and not so good points about various models, but in the end it's about what you are going to be comfortable with. If you buy something you have any reservations about, every single thing about the engine will tick you off. If you buy something because you "know" it's the best, then any problems you may have are just "normal wear and tear". <br /><br />Between a DFI and a 4-stroke, I vote for the DFI. For all the reasons DJ alluded to. I would even take a Mercury Optibomb over any 4-stroke. I just loathe 4-strokes.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by INTERNETOUTBOARDS:<br /> <br /><br />BRP E-Tect---Phony "no maintenance" bull.<br />
No one should by saying "no maintenance". The advertising says "no DEALER REQUIRED maintenance" for 300hr/3yr in normal recreational use. Meaning you do not have to tow your boat to the dealer several times a year.<br /><br />The motor still needs maintenance as described in the owners manual such as winterizing that can easily be done by the owner. Adding a fuel stabilizer to the gas to prevent stale fuel. And annual greasing of the motor if used in saltwater. That's about it, pretty easy, huh?<br /><br />Who is saying no maintenance?

gatorred

Petty Officer 1st Class

watch oln or speed channel on satlight tv or cable name of program is (consumer product showcase)evenrude has a half hour show on e-tec from running new yamaha 225 and mercury 225 in same test's there 4 strokes engine's i can't say when the tv is on they rotate tv show's in the time frame (consumer product showcase) mmi,living a dream,motercycle to plus other's <br /><br />just though it help

BillP

Captain

Originally posted by seahorse:<br />
Originally posted by INTERNETOUTBOARDS:<br /> <br /><br />BRP E-Tect---Phony "no maintenance" bull.<br />
No one should by saying "no maintenance". The advertising says "no DEALER REQUIRED maintenance" for 300hr/3yr in normal recreational use. Meaning you do not have to tow your boat to the dealer several times a year.<br /><br />The motor still needs maintenance as described in the owners manual such as winterizing that can easily be done by the owner. Adding a fuel stabilizer to the gas to prevent stale fuel. And annual greasing of the motor if used in saltwater. That's about it, pretty easy, huh?<br /><br />Who is saying no maintenance?
Seems as though the majority of eTec bashers don't acknowlege the advertised 300hr/3yrs deal.

D

DJ

Personally, I like Elvin from INTERNETOUTBORDS. He gives great advice.<br /><br />But, Elvin is a SELLER of specific brands. He has opinions based on his offerings. No problem with that, I would expect such.<br /><br />As a buyer (me) I know what I like.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

You guy's crack me up. BillP, Sorry to burst your bubble, but pointing out a flawed marketing plan is not bashing anything. DJ, I thought I was pretty clear about EACH brand losing a point for one thing or another. Go back and read my post again. My opinions are not based on anything except my knowledge of the marine industry. As to E-Tech's phony marketing plan...Sorry, but that is what it really is. Since no manufacturer requires you to have your engine serviced by an authorized dealer( except for a warranty repair)the hype from BRP is at best misleading. As to who is saying what?....Try every BRP employee and dealer at the Miami show. It was laughable when they would tell a potential buyer "AND REMEMBER, WITH OUR ENGINE YOU DON'T NEED ANY MAINTENANCE TO SPEAK OF." E-Tech's are just like every other product made. No better, no worse. And just for the record, if I was looking for a 200 hp range outboard, E-Tech would be my first choice. Not because of the phony hype, but because it is the best alternative in that hp range.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

I am with ya ELVIN.<br /> since I have been playing at being a tech in the past year or maybe a tad longer, I have been certified and authorized to perform warrenty repairs and installations on mercury,mariner,Force,Go-devil, suzuki outboards,Tohatsu outboards,Honda outboards and yamaha outboards as well as mercruiser and volvo penta.<br /> it represents a tremendous amount of schools and dealerships.<br /> sometimes I had my own shop and other times I was a contractor for several dealerships.<br /> I can tell you gears is gears, shfts are shafts lubrication points and trim systems are what they are and fuel and cooling systems are about all the same.<br /> I dont mind telling you that 90% of all my work is bad water pumps,t-stats and pressure control systems, water in the fuel which will kill anything from a one lung 50's jonny to a top of the line BRP E-TEC to a yamaha F225. none tolerate water.<br /> next is the gearcase. while a 50 HP may get a bit of time a pair of 250HP engines pushing a 28Ft hull to the gulf stream wont live long with burned gear oil, unless BRP is gonna use magic oil.<br /> so yes most of the E-TEC is E-Hype.<br />I see yamaha daily that have run 4 years or more with nothing but gas and oil.<br /> I see them blow up occasionally over it.<br />had a 225 jonny rude before christmas, original water pump failed,smoked a piston, not bad for a93 jonny. however we scrapped it due to the drive shaft was stuck.<br /> it lasted 12 years or so though.<br />so far the E-Tec seems decent, had a few local ones wont oil correctly below 35*F and a couple popped pistons but nothing out of the ordinary. seen that with most all brands.

BillP

Captain

Yeah Elvin, you crack me up too but don't flatter yourself...even though it was read that way I wasn't actually targeting you individually and my bubble isn't busted. <br /><br />All I was saying is I continually see PEOPLE posting that eTec advertises as needing NO maintenance for 3 yrs. That is a gross misinterpretation of what eTec REALLY says in their advertising. There are no ifs, ands or buts about it...their ads are clearly spoken. People leaving out the "300 hrs" and "no dealer" part out of their comments is just an attempt to bash, not inform with all the facts. Who knows, maybe they never read eTec ads and are going on hearsay. Whatever, it has diddly squat to do with what problems all ob motors share or how/why/what other mfgs advertise.<br /><br />Then again if you would like to clarify, I'll ask the same question Seahorse asked you and got no response. Who is saying NO maintenance?

tommays

Admiral

http://www.evinrude.com/en-CA/E-Tec/E-TEC.Advantage/ <br /><br />i could have pour reading comprehension BUT when i read things like
Not even gearcase lube
i would think it implies no maintenance is required and if there is any they sure dont talk about it<br /><br /><br /> * NO SCHEDULED DEALER MAINTENANCE FOR 3 YEARS.<br /> * ZERO BREAK-IN PERIOD<br /> * NO COSTLY OIL CHANGES<br /> * USES UP TO 30-75% LESS OIL THAN COMPETITIVE TECHNOLOGIES<br /><br />EASY TO OWN AND OPERATE Evinrude E-TEC outboards require no scheduled dealer maintenance - that's right, zero - for the first three years or 300 hours of normal recreational use. Not even gearcase lube. You'll never have to change the oil or the oil filter, which can cost several hundred dollars each year for other technologies.<br /><br />I do think it is a great motor BUT when they say things like the fuel system is sealed so you will never have to worry about fuel going bad it makes you wonder who there trying to doubble talk<br /> http://www.evinrude.com/en-US/E-Tec/Video/20_EasyToOwn.htm <br /><br />tommays

BillP

Captain

Originally posted by tommays:<br /> http://www.evinrude.com/en-CA/E-Tec/E-TEC.Advantage/ <br /><br />i could have pour reading comprehension BUT when i read things like
Not even gearcase lube
i would think it implies no maintenance is required <br /><br /><br /> * NO SCHEDULED DEALER MAINTENANCE FOR 3 YEARS.<br /> * ZERO BREAK-IN PERIOD<br /> * NO COSTLY OIL CHANGES<br /> * USES UP TO 30-75% LESS OIL THAN COMPETITIVE TECHNOLOGIES<br /><br />EASY TO OWN AND OPERATE Evinrude E-TEC outboards require no scheduled dealer maintenance - that's right, zero - for the first three years or 300 hours of normal recreational use. Not even gearcase lube. You'll never have to change the oil or the oil filter, which can cost several hundred dollars each year for other technologies.<br /><br />tommays
I really can't comment on your comprehension... but my comprehension says the no dealer maintenance deal does't say to ignore everything for 300hrs/3yrs. Some people want to read it as saying do nothing for 300/3 but I don't. When a car handbook says change oil every 5k miles do people really believe it means never check the oil between changes, etc? As Seahorse already mentioned, the owner's manual lists standard maintenance checks like any other motor.<br /><br />Maintenance has always been overly hyped up by dealers to sell service. It's natural that the Bomb is getting on their nerves with the no dealer maintenance advertising. This eTec maintenance deal is just being blown way out of reality.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

BillP, <br /><br />As to who is saying what?....Try every BRP employee and dealer at the Miami show. It was laughable when they would tell a potential buyer "AND REMEMBER, WITH OUR ENGINE YOU DON'T NEED ANY MAINTENANCE TO SPEAK OF."<br /><br />That was in my post...I guess you missed it :) <br /><br />But, lets bring this all back down a notch. I like E-tech. It's just as good as any other DFI outboard technology on the market. In most cases it's better. I would be happy to own one in some sizes. In other sizes...You couldn't give me one. I take that back. Yes, you could give me one. In fact, please do. I like features, marketing plans and pricing for many different models across all brands. But that doesn't mean I like everything about one brand. I can like E-Tech technology and dislike a marketing scheme that they hype. I like Suzuki's marketing plan, but their big V-6's leave me cold. Their new 300 might even change my mind on that. Yamaha and Honda are universally loved by all. And they are priced like an uptown call girl. Expensive and pretty...With the same equipment as the ten dollar...You get the point. Mercury, well, that's the only brand that I have a problem liking. I do like some models and I don't trust some other models. And of course my favorites Tohatsu/Nissan. Great outboards hidden behind a odd marketing plan that often seems to hide rather than promote them. Breaks my heart it does.<br /><br />In the end, it's about perception. If you think something is better, then for you, maybe it is. If you think something is carp(LOL), then you should shy away from it. I like DFI, so DFI is better than 4-stroke. If I liked 4-stroke, then it would be better. We all have our ideas about what makes one brand better than another. Sometimes we might even be right :)

boatsalotjay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, I'll throw in my 2 cents. To answer the original question....E-Tech. It is true, dealers are selling all they can get in and in the case of the marina I worked at until last year, more than they could get. My boss couldn't put one on his own boat cause he was selling them so fast. I have seen and tested alot of E-Techs. The are really awesome motors. Don't get me wrong, we sold 4-stroke outboards too, (Suzukis) and loved them, but Verados were a joke to Kraig (my boss and a guy who has been in the business for 30+ years). The take-off alone on an E-tech tells you something, just watch BRP's little DVD, it's incredible. Just my opinion....