1991 Johnson 48 hp

Racerjoe56

Cadet
I am looking at buying a pontoon boat with a 1991 Johnson 48 hp motor. Anything good or bad that I need to know about these before I purchase? These are twin cyl engins correct?

ob

Admiral
Re: 1991 Johnson 48 hp

Yep they're two bangers.Good motors if they've been upkept.Ask when the waterpump and T/stats were last replaced.Make sure it's propped to turn in the upper limits of it's wide open throttle operating range.5500-6000.Might also want to obtain some compression numbers on each hole so you know what you're getting.

danfaulk

Recruit

I have got one, it runs great. I am trying to find out the right oil/fuel ratio.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

fuel ratio is 50:1 tc-w3 outboard motor oil, also hijacking a thread is considered very rude.

i have had several 48 spl they are great motors. never had any trouble. agree with ob as to maintenance.

BUYING A USE MOTOR

overall condition, condition of the place you are buying it from, usually tells you how they care for things. compression 100 + psi, and within 10% of each other, good strong blue spark, no water in the lower unit oil. look for discolored paint, (sign of over heat at
one time, also scarred up bolts, as why. have them start it. if they fail to put it in a barrell or tank, or on muffs, or in the water, to start it they don't know what they are doing. best yet is to take it for a 30 min to 1 hour test run. also if remote controlled motor, the controls should come with it.