Gas Tanks (plastic vs metal)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pony

Rear Admiral
Looking for the pros and cons of each type of gas tank. Looking at a 6 gallon tank for a small 5.5hp motor. I have a metal OMC tank that I could use, but I would have to clean it up A LOT and might need a few parts (new float and a gasket or two). Plastic tanks are cheap. I am wondering if it would be better just to buy one instead of fixing the metal one.<br /><br />I dont currently have a tank for this motor......the one it had went with another boat that has since been sold by my uncle.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral
Re: Gas Tanks (plastic vs metal)

Pony I prefer the plastic. Especially here around the salt pond. With plastic you never have any rust issues or spark hazards.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Plastic.<br /><br />Don't scratch the boat.<br />Don't leave rust stains on the deck.<br />Don't bruise my shins when being carried.<br />Don't rust up on the inside and contaminate the fuel.<br />Don't cost the price of a good meal.<br /><br />ETC, Etc.

Pony

Rear Admiral

Are the fittings and vents and caps all pretty durable on the plastic tanks?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Go with a 3 gallon tank to save space and or weight, if you need to.<br /><br />3 gallons of gas will let you idle/troll for 30 hours, or run wide open for 6 hours.<br /><br />The big Orange store will have them come spring time.

tr918

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I agree with JB 100% on the plastic tanks. <br /><br />The fittings, vents and caps are durable. <br /><br />Plastic tanks are relatively inexpensive and are the best way to go. On my first boat I replaced my two 6 gallon metal tanks for two plastic ones and never had any regrets. I remember looking back at the tanks while being out on the water and being able to see the fuel level in them and thinking "I am glad I replaced the metal tanks".

Pony

Rear Admiral

TR- Never thought about being able to see the fuel level. Thanks for bringing that up. Also good to hear the hardware is decent.<br /><br />Based on all this I think I will pick up a plastic tank at "The Big Orange Store" as soon as they get them in. :) Might even pick up two of them, one for the other boat....

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

.pony. I use two portable six-gallon plastic tanks from Wallymart (forget the brand name). Less than $20. I think around $15. The older one is about 3 years old, gas will seep out the fittings and the cap if the temperature rises and it's too full (meaning six full gallons). Probably will think about replacing it next summer. Maybe a higher quality one will do better, it's not a big deal for me. Metal one probably won't do that...but I can vouch for all the advantages to plastic listed by others, plus it's lighter. Never a problem with fuel line pressure or water or any other contaminants.<br /><br />Had two metal ones - they both wore out after around 25 years. One got a hole in the bottom, the other put paint or rust or some kind of crumbs in the carbs.

Pony

Rear Admiral

I know we sell Tempo tanks here, and "The Big Orange Store" aka Fleet Farm sells Tempo as well. I didnt see any here that went as low as 3 gallons, but I know FF sells them. <br /><br />jtexas, are yours Tempo by any chance.....The problems you are having with the one tank are the same I have heard when people mention plastics tanks, and thus the reason I started this thread. I love the idea of plastic tanks, so long as the hardware on them doesnt leak everywhere when a little pressure builds up<br /><br />Anyone else see issues like JT's?? Tempo the way to go then??

JB

I had a 28 gallon Tempo (20 years old) start to leak around the guage/outlet assembly, Pony. New gasket fixed it.<br /><br />I wouldn't hesitate to use Tempo again.

Pony

Rear Admiral

Thanks JB.....makes me feel more comfortable using one. Gaskets are easy fixes.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

NOT Tempo, I'd remember that brand name, not a walmart FLW brand name either, some other off-brand economy model, I consider 'em worth the price. Visual fuel level check is a plus.<br /><br />My dad bought a 6 evinrude in '69, still has it in his garage, never failed to start on the 1st or 2nd pull. We ran it on rented 14 ft flatbottom aluminum boats - you could (maybe still can) rent a boat for $3/day...natural lakes in Louisiana 6 HP would put you on fish...cane pole (or a t-rig worm) for a depthfinder...paddle for a trolling motor. Pretty cool but not suitable for the big reservoirs where I live now.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Pony hers a pic of my 3 gallon tank I us in my inflatable. Its about 5 years old and trouble free. Its from Wallyworld, I think. Its a Moeller Marine product.<br /><br />
DSC00252.jpg
<br /><br />And here is a pic of a 19 gallon Tempo I bought today for my Bass Tracker. Im replaceing two 6 gallon steel tanks due to rust. The two 6's are about 7 years old. Keep in mind I boat in salt/brackish water.<br /><br />
DSC00251.jpg

timmathis

Lieutenant

I use 2 of the 6 gal. from wal-mart they are 3 years old and still like new just keep them out of the sun in the winter and they won't fade in color. If left in the sun all year the red will fade orange. They are surely lighter than metal. I will never go back to metal. Tim

NBE

Petty Officer 1st Class

Plastic, plastic, plastic, is the way to go IMHO. Have three of them for the boat, several years old, and trouble-free. Also have one that I run my generator off of back at the fishing camp, so that makes four sixers.<br /><br />Grew up with metal ones, never will go back to one if I can help it. Mostly for the reasons stated above.

Pony

Rear Admiral

I think this 3gallon tank might be perfect for my application. I might replace my other metal tank with plastic as well.....Just need to decide if I want 6 or 9 gallons(use boat about once a week. only like to fill it with non-reformulated gas......hence maybe the 9 gallon option idk)<br /><br />

jastacey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've used Tempo fuel tanks ( I have 2- 12 gallon tanks ) that I use for extra capacity when I go crusing and have had good experiances with the Tempo brand.

supercoolbabe

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The plastic tanks have a plastic fitting that leaks which attaches to a metal fitting which leaks which you must attach the fuel line fitting which leaks, which causes air to get in system which keeps motor from running. Is there any other available alternative to this cheap Made in China crap? Plus a 3 gallon tank is $40 and a 6 gallon tank is $50. The last one I bought didn't even last one year.

Last edited:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Should have bought a good quality brand plastic tank such as Suzuki, Tohatsu, Yam, are made in Canada and don't have tech issues as PRCH crappy tanks. Costs way more, but it's the way to go for peace of mind boating...

Happy Boating

GA_Boater

The topic is close to 9 years old. It was over two years old when you guys joined up in 2008. Please let the old ones sleep and start new topics.

Status
Not open for further replies.