The Best and Worst Outboards of all Time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

swist

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: The Best and Worst Outboards of all Time?

"I'm surprised that nobody's slammed the early FICHT 'rudes. Folks around here tell me to run from them"<br /><br />That's because they were a crap shoot. They either blew up or ran perfectly. Not like a lot of nagging smaller problems. So depending on which group of people you talk to, you'll get different answers.

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

One of our local outboard shops had a pile of legs and smashed cases/cranks from 50/55 twin cylinder johnrudes sat outside the door the 1st time I went there for some bits for the one I was rebuilding....never did finish the rebuild, that sight put me off too much. Shame really, they are a nice easy engine to work on but they go bang a bit too much.<br /><br />There seems to be a glut of the electric shift johnsons around here that are jammed in gear...<br /><br />I'm now on my 5th 4cyl 50hp merc and I love them to bits-but if I ever buy new it'll be a 4-stroke Honda.<br /><br />Best small engine is either the pre 80's 4hp johnrudes or British Seagulls-the only marine engine I know that will restart within 5 minutes of a full saltwater submersion, was designed to be maintainable with a hammer and an adjustable spanner and can be run on 10:1 using old 4-stroke engine oil with no detriment to "performance"

rbruce63

Petty Officer 1st Class

What I long for is a Evinrude e-tec direct fuel injected motor, for the technical improvements in fuel efficiency while not loosing the simplicity of a two stroke motor.<br /><br /> But the best has been a 1969 Chrysler 20!

orca

Chief Petty Officer

Quote rbruce63<br />But the best has been a 1969 Chrysler 20!<br />__________________________________________________ <br /><br />ROTFLOL :D :D

Tolly family

Seaman Apprentice

Best outboard Was a 1969 6 Evinrude my dad bought new and gave to us kids (7). It ran 12 hours a day for 5 months a year for 10 years with no maint!!! It even fell off the rowboat and was fished out of the lake twice. I was a dock boy for many years in the early 70s and most of the resort motors were maroon Johnnys from the 50s still running strong, I never saw any maintenance performed, just pulled them out of the sheds in the spring and screwed in 2 new plugs.<br /><br />Dan

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Best mid 80s 115 evin/John.....Worst take your pick,Chrysler or Force

Status
Not open for further replies.