running outboard in cold weather

all thumbs

Chief Petty Officer
Looks like I'am getting an extended season for fishing due to the weather. I was wondering if anybody has any coments on using there outboard during cold weather. The water temp. won't be freezing but the outside temp will be. Also the boat will be put in a un-heated garage after fishing. It's a 4 stroke honda. I'am wondering if all the water drains out of the empeller/pump area and engine jacket enough so it will not freeze and cause damage. Usually I have it winterized at this time, any ideas? Thanks, A T

saumon

Lieutenant
Re: running outboard in cold weather

Hi, <br /><br />here (Montreal area, Qc, Canada) i fish till ice (usually first week or mid december) for musky. Not a problem with an outboard. <br /><br />1- Most important, let the engine drain itself for a few minutes when you get out of the water by letting it fully tilted down, instead of tilting it up to install the "transom saver".<br />2- I also always keep my gas tank full, to prevent condensation, and i add some fuel stabilizer (doesn't know if it really help, but i feel more confident whit this).<br />3- Be sure that your battery is fully charged. A cold engine is harder to start.<br />4- run your pumps (bilge, livewell) a few seconds out of the water to be sure that no water sit in them.<br />5- i remove the fill screw of the lower unit to check for water intrusion after each outing.<br /><br />Oh yeah, mine is a 2-strokes but your's a 4-strokes. I've heard that they're more affected by cold, but i can't tell you why???<br /><br />That's it.<br /><br />Steve

Richard Petersen

Senior Chief Petty Officer

In the winter I fish in a lake that is 50% anti freeze . No problems.

saumon

Lieutenant

Originally posted by cyclops2:<br /> In the winter I fish in a lake that is 50% anti freeze . No problems.
:D :D :D <br /><br />If there's no waves in the lake for a long time, don't forget to add three or four truck tanks of Sta-bil.

all thumbs

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks saumon, I never gave any thought to the bilge and livewell pumps.

Pony

Rear Admiral

Yeah not sure on the 4 stroke thing, but like saumon said it should be just fine. A fully charged battery is very important, as cold will drain them more quickly and its harder to start the engine in the first place. I like to let mine warm up quite a bit before I start going anywhere.

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

and as i discovered yesterday....the engine cools down a lot quicker when you stop to fish and is harder to restart too...

Triton II

Commander

AT: When borrowing a boat in Goose Bay NE Canada a few years ago, I found out to my extreme embarassment, that the best cold weather outboard advice when operating a 'tinny' was to tighten the mounting bolts - the transom shrinks more than the mount. Unfortunately the advice came after the loss of the motor! :rolleyes:

all thumbs

Chief Petty Officer

Triton II, cold weather=shrinkage=extreme embarassment :eek: Reminds me of an episode from Seinfeld, about George. :)