Evinrude 150 Spitfire series

Status
Not open for further replies.

20mako1975

Recruit
I bought an old Mako to restore. Well, I basically "stole" it. ;) It has a running Evinrude 150 Spitfire Series on it. I'm not sure about how to read the model numbers to get the year model. My mechanic has the motor off the boat for now, while I paint the boat. But can someone narrow it down and tell me the years that Evinrude made the Spitfire series? I would greatly appreciate it. It doesn't have that big, wide look that most older Evinrudes have. It is more the size and shape of the Ficht Ram motors. I'll get the model numbers in a few days. But I'm just curious as to what years OMC made the Spitfire. Thanks in advance.<br /><br />Joe :p

seahorse5

Rear Admiral
Re: Evinrude 150 Spitfire series

In a nutshell, the Spitfire series is a V6 60 degree block that was introduced in 1991 and is still in production today as a 2006 model.

20mako1975

Recruit

So at worst......it would be a 1991. That's what I ws thinking, but wasn't 100% sure. Thanks for the information. This is not a "looper" is it? There are some items I'm trying to buy on eBay for this motor (parts), but some of them say "looper", "X Flow", "cross flow", etc. I'm not sure which applies to my motor if it were a 1991. Thanks in advance.<br /><br />Joe

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Yes, all the 60 degree OMC carb'd motors have the Optical Ignition System.

snookhooked

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I also have the spitfire version and my is a 150 hp 1992 Elence is the model number. its pretty easy to find the model number. it has been a great motor so far. out of the hole it kick but and I have a 1976 20 ft Mako.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

This is a 6 year old thread, snook. Please don't reply to old threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.