champion outboard

cwest

Cadet
Does anyone know where I can find information about Champion outboards, as well as parts availability, if there is such a thing?<br /><br />thanks,<br />chuck

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: champion outboard

Champion made engines from about 46 to 58.<br /> There is info in "The Old Outboard Book"by Peter Hunn. possibly at the library.You might also ask at www.aomci.org.Campion made some neat little racing motors in the 50s.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I wouldn't be at all surprised if tcoutboard.com has plenty of used parts.

cwest

Cadet

thanks, went and got the book. A ton of info.<br />chuck

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Champion made Champion. No relation to the spark plug folks. It was begun by a guy named Dumonte out of Minneapolis, Minnesota. There was a connection with Scott-Atwater early on, pre WWII. I think Scott and Atwater worked with or for Champion and after WWII they branched out on their own. I don't have my Hunn book handy at the moment to clarify that. <br /><br />Champion made good, solid little motors from the late 1930s up to the late 1950s. They are actually, in a convoluted sort of way, still in "business" as the "Hot Rod" racing motors are gearing up for production once more. The Hot Rods were strong running motors that really gave Mercury a run for their money in classes A and B Stock Outboard. Drove Carl Kiekhaefer nuts, too that this little firm was running with, and often beating his green bombs. <br /><br />Anyway, Champion went belly up about 1958, and the racing stuff was bought up and at various times over the last 50 years has been produced in small numbers as the "Swanson Hot Rod", "American Hot Rod", and I think a few others, too. There is a new owner of the name and tooling who is investing a great deal into the motors to update them and start manufacturing complete motors for use in APBA stock outboard once more. <br />- Scott

bubbakat

Captain

Here is one of those little jewels that I own and still runs strong.<br /><br />
Champion2J.jpg