Yamaha F250A vs Verado 250

amerigo

Recruit
hi!<br /><br />1) witch 2 x 250 would be more preferable for 9m RIB and heavy duty chartering?<br />reliability & fuel<br />2) is it worth to go for Verado 275 instead of Verado 250?<br /><br />thanks a lot!

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Yamaha F250A vs Verado 250

A Verado woould be a helluva load for any RIB. They gotta be 200lbs heavier than the competition. That's another 400lbs hanging off the back of that boat with twins. :eek: <br /><br />Regarding reliability ... too soon to tell, but I would have to believe any supercharged motor would have less life expectancy than a naturally aspirated one.

bossee

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hi,<br /><br />For what it is worth:<br /><br /> Test four 250 hp outboards (sept 2005) <br /><br />I made the translation (as good as I could).<br /><br />I like Yamaha alot and the F250 scored rather good overall in the test.<br />Suzuki DF 250 seems to have an slight advantage if heavy load in a boat.<br /><br />But service availability where You live is also a very important factor.<br /><br />I use a Yamaha F115 myself and so far, after 3 seasons, I have full trust in this outboard.<br />My primary concern is reliability and so far my Yamaha has lived up to that.<br /><br />Good luck!

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

The Verado is too new to say. You can go with the Yamaha due to its excellent track record and have a perfectly fine rig. As far as the reliability of a supercharged engine, an engine that is specifically designed and built to be supercharged will be as reliable as a non-supercharged engine. The reliability of an engine drops when you take an engine that was naturally aspirated and just stick forced induction on it without reducing compression and beefing up the reciprocating assembly as well as beefing up the cooling system. I think you should just base your decision on whether you want to go with the proven track record or take your chance on the new design. Plus, as cool as those Verados are, they are heavy, and expensive. That is definately a factor in my mind.

phatmanmike

Captain

i think the verado's are pigs. big and sluggish and drink fuel like its going outa style.<br /><br />meanwhile, yammys are lighter, more fuel efficient, dont have supercharges , and are made by a company that has a longer and better track record of making efficient FOUR strokes.<br /><br />this is just my uneducated OPINION, since i have neither owned either<br /><br /><br />edit: sheesh!

orca

Chief Petty Officer

Myoutboards, what is a Fuel stroke (check your last post). Is this some sort of new technology that yam are working on, or is this an example of your lack of education (your words)

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

so far I have not seen any failures with the F250. but I have seen some verados crack the steering bracket and the shop in wanchese has a terrible time keeping them running. that could be an indicator of engine troubles or bad tech work. I dont bother with that particular shop myself.<br /> it is funny that the triples they have on 2 of their boats seem to always come back with 1 engine tilted. the F250 has some complicated stuff on it as well that can be failure prone in years to come. but my personal experience with High performance pressureized induction engines is they tend to be shorter lived than normally aspirated. its just a simple fact of life.<br /> I know someone is going to yap off at the mouth about airplane engines so Ill head that off now. aircraft engines are rarely run at max RPM's. they also rarly turn over about 3K (piston engines). they are also rigourously tested and checked for wear at regular intravals during testing then a decision is made at the times for MOH. say the manufacture tells the FAA that this motor will live 1000 hours at max load. the FAA and the manufacturer will then add their safty margins and may require a Major over haul at 700 hours. if the boating industry had maint scedules enforced like aircraft you may see fewer failures but you would also see a lot less boats.<br /> even that wont prevent tech screw ups like the one that almost killed my cousin and his wife about 3 years ago. on takeoff from the airstrip in Manteo NC the motor seized. the FAA investigation showed the sleeves had been incorectly installed about 50 hours earlier at the MOH. he dumped the plane in the sound about 1/2 mile west of the airport, his wife was technically dead when airport rescue recovered her from the aircraft. they did all the CPR and defib and she lived but spent about 9 weeks in the hospital recovering.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Technically a supercharged engine "should" endure longer than a non-supercharged version of the same engine. Supercharged engines do not suffer from the pumping losses of a normally aspirated motor. It all depends on how stressed the engine is and how reliable the electronics are.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

pressureized induction motors have greater axial and radial loads on the reciprocating assy as well as generating much higher combustion pressure. thats why they make more power for a given displacement. nothing more nothing less.<br /> CID just refers to the physical displacement of air in a cycle. add 10 PSI of pressure and you have more air. now ya need more fuel or it tends to backfire, I watched a 302 pinto set a blower case record at sears point :) . non-normally aspirated engines are less forgiving for fuel quality and lean out conditions. which is why when ya play sometimes ya pay. but air at an increasing atmosphe for the same RPM and its mandatory to add more fuel or the mix goes lean. someplace about 13/1 by weight it will melt metal, just like a cutting torch cuts when you hit the O2 jet and can weld when you dont

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I was going to yak off about aircraft engines but decided against it... :) <br /><br />There are a gazillion forced induction diesels out there that run forever. Like I said, if the engine is designed and built from the ground up to be forced induction, it will live as long as a normally aspirated engine. Stick a supercharger on a stock engine and the life will be shortened.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

I still disagree, ya cant compare a diesel to a gas motor, most blocks and heads have an incredible thicness difference. and the 38 series cat was wonderful until they forced it. so is the 6cyl izuzu. but run it at its max load and it just does not last as long.<br /> over the years I have found there are so many horse power hours in a piece of iron. you can have a little for a long time or a lot for a short time out of a given piece of iron.<br /> diesels by the very nature tend not to be as susceptible to leanouts but occasionally they will pop a hole in a piston. but compare the weight of a 3208 cat head with that of a 5.7 or even an 8.1 and you will see what I mean.

Hawaiian

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bo, thanks for the link. Lots of good info there.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

big thing right now is both are so new as to have no real data avalible. <br /> when FICT came out it was supposed to eliminate all other two strokes, seems it actually finished eliminating OMC. then came the opti-pop debacle followed by some teething pains with HPDI. some of the teething pains are still being felt.<br /> so far we have had no problems with the F250's we have installed. we watch the verados come back with one up or the occasional broken brackets from the shop next door.<br />gotta see what happens when the verado is attemted to run on 9 month old fuel though.