Ugliest paint job ever SUZUKI

sergioy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well, it's happened. I never thought I would ever really be so superficial as to want to paint my outboard. But man what was Suzuki thinking when they painted their outboards gold, or is that mustard yellow. I've got an '89 200 hp gold outboard, and that thing is UGLY. I've read on here that it is not too tough to paint these things and I think that the first chance I get I am going to paint mine black.<br /><br />It seems that there are several different opinions on how to go about this. I would like to make this as durable as possible while doing it myself. Any suggestions. Is that merc spray can good enough?

Navigator

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Ugliest paint job ever SUZUKI

Water_surge,<br /><br />It all depends on how you want it to look. Somepeople have the talent it take to do a nice job with a spray paint can. others can do a great job of making it look homemade :D <br /><br />Why not paint each piece a different color. Paint:<br />the cowl black and put Mercury stickers on it, <br />the lower unit Evinrude Blue,<br />the center unit Johnson white, <br />and the power trim, Honda silver.<br /><br />When someone asks, tell them its a <br />"Mervinhonsonuki" outboard :D :D <br /><br />Nav :cool:

LubeDude

Admiral

I have repainted two outboards, one for myself, and one for a close friend that ended up marrying my ex wife. :confused: Still havnt figured that one out yet, O well, thats another story.<br /><br />You want to paint it with a urethane automotive type paint. That way fuel will not eat off the paint that you so carefully applied. You can make that engine look way cool, You can design graghics for it and then have a vynil graphic place make them for you.<br /><br />First take it to the car wash and spray the crap out of it with the high soap, tilt it up and do the same thing, take it home and use a oil and wax remover you can get at the auto paint supply store, wash it down three or four times as per the directions on the can. Then follow sanding and painting procedures. Take your time and it will look great and last forever.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

I did mine last year. They are 1987 OMC SeaDrives and were a dull metalic grey:<br /><br />
DSCF00061.jpg

sergioy

Petty Officer 1st Class

SoLillte - they look nice. Did you do it like <br />LD described above?

Paul Moir

Admiral

I've done a few rattle can jobs with great result. The Merc Phantom Black rattle cans are excellent paint. But the 2-part urethanes that LubeDude speaks of are far tougher and that's what I used for my 28hp:<br />
assembled4.jpg
<br /><br />The key to any great paint job is preparation. Preserve the original paint if at all possible as it's firmly attached to the outboard, and applied in ideal conditions. Bare spots in the aluminium will need to be cleaned to bright metal, etched with a 50/50 mix of vinager and water, and then primed with zinc chromate or zinc phosphate primer.<br />And for goodness' sake, use whatever colours you want! :)

KIGuy52

Petty Officer 1st Class

Take a look at the oldmercs.com gallery.<br />There's some really nice paint jobs.